iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

What chain to use on new 661 & 36" lightweight bar?

Started by CarnarvonCarver, April 27, 2015, 09:52:43 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

CarnarvonCarver

I just bought a new 661 with the 36" lightweight bar and am wanting to do some milling this year.  I am really not sure what chain will be best for this setup as I don't want to change the bar at the point in time.

Will be milling mostly oak, maple and some hemlock.

Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated.
Stihl 661, 260 & 170

Logger003

Talk to your dealer you got the saw from they should be able to point you in the right direction for a good ripper chain. There's different styles of ripper chain. I work at a shop selling saws and parts, I will check out the different styles when I'm at work tomorrow and let you know what I find out what will work best for what your cutting

4x4American

Most dealers won't.  I have found good, knowledgable Stihl/Husky dealers few and far between.  Milling with a saw might void the warranty not 100% sure though.  If you can't find a chain to buy, either grind or file the chain to a 10 degree top plate filing angle.  My friend filed a 32" full compensation chain over from 30 degree to 10 degree.  Said on average it took 7 hard strokes with a sharp file.  Personally for my ripping chain I use my oregon 511ax grinder.  If Baileys doesn't have ripping chain anymore, try madsens1.com.  They are a great store.
Boy, back in my day..

4x4American

Boy, back in my day..

tmarch

Try Comstock Logging Supplies, they are a sponsor of the forum.
Retired to the ranch, saw, and sell solar pumps.

Thank You Sponsors!