iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Stihl 460 carb question

Started by sweetjetskier, April 27, 2015, 04:28:11 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

sweetjetskier

So I picked up a pre owned MS460 Arctic recently and have a few questions about it some members here may be able help me with.

The build date is October 2010, would this saw be a pre EPA version? The carb has no limiters  and the original owner never removed them either. Being an Arctic version the carb is the same only has heating elements from what I have been told.

Any insights would be helpful.

Arborist, Horticulturist, Nursery and Turfgrass Professional with 27 years experience.

joe_indi

I have never seen an Arctic version (being in the tropics) but I checked the Stihl Mediacat which also lists a MS460 Magnum Arctic other than the regular MS460 Arctic.
Magnums have no limiter caps, and if you look at the jet in the carb, like other Magnums it would probably be a 0.70 instead of a 0.68.
The muffler too would have a bigger port.
And it should have a sticker on the engine shroud that says "Magnum".

Or it might just be a regular Arctic that had its limiter caps removed at some time.
Limiter caps came way back in 2003

JohnG28

Or maybe from a different market than the US originally?
Stihl MS361, 460 & 200T, Jonsered 490, Jonsereds 90, Husky 350 & 142, Homelite XL and Super XL

sweetjetskier

Quote from: JohnG28 on April 28, 2015, 09:15:05 AM
Or maybe from a different market than the US originally?

The saw is a Magnum version, so it makes sense that no limiters are present, being an Arctic version, they are made in Germany as far as I can tell, so maybe Stihl has some EPA credits available back in 2010
Arborist, Horticulturist, Nursery and Turfgrass Professional with 27 years experience.

Thank You Sponsors!