Previous topic - Next topic

SANDYSHED

Help! I have the following:
22" SAW BLADE
30 TOOTH
3.25" ARBOR
3.25" BOLT PATTERN
1" KEY
2-PIECE (the blade is 2 separate halves)

I need to purchase an arbor, any Ideas? Building a small home mill so I plan on using a 10hp single phase electric motor for power.  I'm just looking to cut some local deadfall hardwood to build rustic furniture.  All advise welcome ;D
Thanks in advance, Sandy

can't get the photo to upload...

Magicman

Welcome to the Forestry Forum, SANDYSHED. 

The last thread on the Home page is a picture posting tutorial.  If you have questions, just ask.
Knothole Sawmill, LLC     '98 Wood-Mizer LT40SuperHydraulic   WM Million BF Club Member   WM Pro Sawyer Network

It's Weird being the Same Age as Old People

Never allow your "need" to make money to exceed your "desire" to provide quality service.....The Magicman

SANDYSHED

Jeff

I have my doubts on making a successful mill with that blade.
Just call me the midget doctor.
Forestry Forum Founder and Chief Cook and Bottle Washer.

Commercial circle sawmill sawyer in a past life for 25yrs.
Ezekiel 22:30

Ocklawahaboy

Do you know who made the blade, you might be able to contact them about an arbor.
Purchasing a large benchtop bandsaw and a sled to rip logs would probably get you a similar cutting capacity to that blade.
I wish you luck either way.  It seems you have contracted the incurable sawdust bug, for which the only temporary treatment of symptoms is more sawdust.

Jeff

I would never build a mill to fit a special blade. That blade looks more like a gangsaw blade or something on that line. The wood goes through it once and continues out the other side. Clean wood. Its not designed to be used as a mill blade.  If you saw a bark on log with a soldered on tooth carbide tip blade, odds are, it will be the last log it saws
Just call me the midget doctor.
Forestry Forum Founder and Chief Cook and Bottle Washer.

Commercial circle sawmill sawyer in a past life for 25yrs.
Ezekiel 22:30

Ron Wenrich

Jeff's right about the saw.  It is designed for a continuous feed situation like an edger or rip saw.  Other factor to consider is that the maximum cut is going to be around 8".  10 hp isn't enough power to spin that many teeth in that deep of a cut. 

Swing mills use a 22" saw, but a lot fewer teeth to make up for the lower hp.  I had 22" saws on my vertical edger and it didn't have that many teeth.  I rarely put them in over 6" and did that on pine.  I had a 60 hp motor on that edger. 

I could envision a way that it could be used, but it would involve using a sharp chain and a hold down system similar to scragg mill.  You would go through once, then have to bring the log back around either by hand or conveyor. 

Building a mill can be an expensive project.  Depending on how much you want to cut, you might be better off with a chainsaw mill.  Easy to build or you can buy a frame fairly inexpensively. 
Never under estimate the power of stupid people in large groups.

5quarter

Welcome aboard sandyshed. Saw blades are purpose built. I would be very hesitant to use the blade you have to saw logs. Ron and Jeff are right on the money. Together they have been running circle saws professionally for longer than I've been alive. Chainsaw mill is a good idea for what you want to do.
What is this leisure time of which you speak?
Blue Harbor Refinishing

Thank You Sponsors!