iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

WM Transducer Question

Started by 4x4American, April 26, 2015, 03:13:11 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

4x4American

Is this right?

If you can't tell what I'm talking about, there are two of these magnets here.  They are very loose, they rattle around and such.  I am wondering if this is why I have a transducer error message on my screen. 
Boy, back in my day..

woodmills1

sparks will let you know soon, if not call woodmizer indy and ask for him.
James Mills,Lovely wife,collect old tools,vacuuming fool,36 bdft/hr,oak paper cutter,ebonic yooper rapper nauga seller, Blue Ox? its not fast, 2 cat family, LT70,edger, 375 bd ft/hr, we like Bob,free heat,no oil 12 years,big splitter, baked stuffed lobster, still cuttin the logs dere IAM

Dave Shepard

I just got your voicemail. I've been in a dead zone all day. I'll be home before dark and I'll check mine.
Wood-Mizer LT40HDD51-WR Wireless, Kubota L48, Honda Rincon 650, TJ208 G-S, and a 60"LogRite!

4x4American

Boy, back in my day..

Dave Shepard

I have a single black doohinckus rigidly mounted. I don't think it's a magnet, at least it didn't try to attract a steel bolt I offered it. :D But it does somehow influence the transducer rod. If your black doohinckus is wobbly, then I don't think it can get a proper reading. May also explain intermittent problems. What does it show in the parts book? Are there two doohinckus's or one?

Wood-Mizer LT40HDD51-WR Wireless, Kubota L48, Honda Rincon 650, TJ208 G-S, and a 60"LogRite!

Dave Shepard

Go tighten your doohinckus and get back to us. The suspense is killing me. :D

4x4American

The owner's manual says there should be one doohinckus there.  It says that you are supposed to put it together loose to tighten it up later, so I can see what happened, the mill was put together on a monday or a friday and the tech put on two magnets by accident and also forgot to tighten them up.  Just a little goof up.  What I wonder, is if there is a certain procedure to remove it and if I have to recalibrate the accuset II afterwards.

I am not sweating it.  The quality of the design and build of this mill is incredible.

Boy, back in my day..

Dave Shepard

It looks like a piece of HDPE, or UHMW plastic. If there's only supposed to be one, I'd cut it in half to get it out.

4x4American

In the book it is hard to tell.  Page 3-1 of the equipment manual has an exploded view of it.  I can't tell which is which.  Number 15 (Magnet, Balluff Transducer, part number 038658) or number 26 (Bushing, Transducer Vibration Dampener, part number 071357)
Boy, back in my day..

4x4American

Boy, back in my day..

JB Griffin

Congrats on the new mill, I somehow missed that.
2000 LT40hyd remote 33hp Kubota with 6gpm hyd unit, 150 Prentice, WM bms250, Suffolk dual tooth setter

Over 3.5million bdft sawn with a Baker Dominator.

4x4American

Thanks JB.  Refer to the A Day Sawing Wood thread.
Boy, back in my day..

JB Griffin

10-4 Little Buddy will do. ;D
2000 LT40hyd remote 33hp Kubota with 6gpm hyd unit, 150 Prentice, WM bms250, Suffolk dual tooth setter

4x4American

Boy, back in my day..

4x4American

Quote from: JB Griffin on April 26, 2015, 10:26:04 PM
10-4 Little Buddy will do. ;D

Little! lol I'm 6'2" weigh 230 pounds of twisted steel and...well you know the rest
Boy, back in my day..

JB Griffin

Very nice mill, I didn't know there was a 36hp option for a super.

4x4American

Quote from: JB Griffin on April 26, 2015, 10:36:08 PM
Very nice mill, I didn't know there was a 36hp option for a super.

It's a 35.9  WM calls it a 35 horse so someone doesn't sue them for calling it a 36!
Boy, back in my day..

MartyParsons

Hello,
Yes one is the magnet and the other one is a vibration damper.
If you dont have the damper don"t sweat it. It is a new thing.
We had a customer come last week. He also had a error. The bolts that hold the black bracket that holds the scale was loose and the magnet bracket was hooked to it. I tightened  the 5/16" bolts and the error went away.
Hope this helps.
Marty
"A pessimist sees difficulty in every opportunity; an optimist sees opportunity in every difficulty." -Winston Churchill

Percy

Quote from: Dave Shepard on April 26, 2015, 07:19:52 PM
I have a single black doohinckus rigidly mounted. I don't think it's a magnet, at least it didn't try to attract a steel bolt I offered it. :D But it does somehow influence the transducer rod. If your black doohinckus is wobbly, then I don't think it can get a proper reading. May also explain intermittent problems. What does it show in the parts book? Are there two doohinckus's or one?

Huh.....I drove all the way down to Doohinckus's-R-Us and they never heard of magnetized ones.... :D
GOLDEN RULE : The guy with the gold, makes the rules.

customsawyer

I have had that message show up and it was the transducer cable loose. It could be in the back of the Accuset box or on the bottom of the transducer. Make sure those connections are tight before you fight anything else.
Two LT70s, Nyle L200 kiln, 4 head Pinheiro planer, 30" double surface Cantek planer, Lucas dedicated slabber, Slabmizer, and enough rolling stock and chainsaws to keep it all running.
www.thecustomsawyer.com

4x4American

I have went through every and any cable that is connected in line with the transducer.  The connector on the bottom of the transducer had some salt from the ride home.  I cleaned it out with electronic cleaner and blowed it dry with compressed air.  Made sure has good connection.
Boy, back in my day..

Peter Drouin

So did you tighten the 5/16 bolts that Marty was talking about?
A&P saw Mill LLC.
45' of Wood Mizer, cutting since 1987.
License NH softwood grader.

4x4American

I got some different answers and wasn't sure where to go with it, and when I got back from day job today it was raining, didn't feel like taking off the tarps/cover I have on mill to tighten up some bolts and test it.  Hopefully tomorrow its nicer out.  I should be switching to part time soon to get going with the mill just waiting for enough work.  I know it will come, last year was busy!
Boy, back in my day..

Peter Drouin

You did say they were loose, I think?
So the rain will be here Wednesday, :D :D At least it's not SNOW :snowball: :D :D
A&P saw Mill LLC.

POSTON WIDEHEAD

I thought Marty was still at the Garth Brooks concert.  smiley_guitarist smiley_trap_drummer smiley_singsongnote01
The older I get I wish my body could Re-Gen.

4x4American

:D :D   

I thought he had an open house this past saturday.

Yup Peter they are shakin like a cow being milked with a cold pair of water pump pliers
Boy, back in my day..

Peter Drouin

Quote from: 4x4American on April 27, 2015, 10:18:48 PM
:D :D   

Yup Peter they are shakin like a cow being milked with a cold pair of water pump pliers

:D :D :D :D :D :D :D
A&P saw Mill LLC.

4x4American

I tightened the jigga-ma-thingys and it worked for until I started sawing.  Then, transducer error message back on the screen.  I have reasonable suspicion to believe that it is where the H-Bridge connects to the cat track.  If not, maybe the splitter cable.
Boy, back in my day..

woodmills1

check the transducer wire at the back of the control box head.  Mine has a small phillips screw and with heat from warmer weather
it got too tight.
James Mills,Lovely wife,collect old tools,vacuuming fool,36 bdft/hr,oak paper cutter,ebonic yooper rapper nauga seller, Blue Ox? its not fast, 2 cat family, LT70,edger, 375 bd ft/hr, we like Bob,free heat,no oil 12 years,big splitter, baked stuffed lobster, still cuttin the logs dere IAM

4x4American

The one on the back of the accuset computer thing?  That one for me is a twister unit, I've checked it's tight.
Boy, back in my day..

MartyParsons

Garth Brooks
Yea I would go back and see him again.
M

Transducer Error, sorry kind of got off track there.

Let us review. Transducer Error. Splitter cable would be # 1 thing I have seen. If the magnet or transducer or brackets are loose then error. It could also be the transducer. I think more of these get replaced but turns out to be something simple. Short cable I think you said you replaced it. Long cable through the cable carrier or cat track should not be the issue.
I dont think this will help tomorrow. Did you call the team at Hanibal, NY? They should be able to send you a splitter cable.
M
"A pessimist sees difficulty in every opportunity; an optimist sees opportunity in every difficulty." -Winston Churchill

4x4American

Thanks Marty, I called in to Hannibal today but was too late.  I also called Indy but the techs were gone by the time I called.  I thought for sure tightening the magnets would fix it!  I will put a call into Hannibal tomorrow morning.  Is there a higher rate of bad cables or bad transducers? 
Boy, back in my day..

drobertson

Went through many issues with the error code, the splitter cable was the answer for me, thanks to marty P, he is the one who clued it in.
running like a top for quite a while now, 
only have a few chain saws I'm not suppose to use, but will at times, one dog Dolly, pretty good dog, just not sure what for yet,  working on getting the gardening back in order, and kinda thinking on maybe a small bbq bizz,  thinking about it,

4x4American

Boy, back in my day..

Ga Mtn Man

Is there something particularly complex about that cable that it should cause such frequent problems?  How hard can it be to build a reliable cable!   
"If the women don't find you handsome they should at least find you handy." - Red Green

2012 LT40HDG29 with "Superized" hydraulics,  2 LogRite cant hooks, home-built log arch.

OneWithWood

Manufacturer issue?  I don't think WM makes up the cable.  I had an issue similar to what has been described and it was the splitter cable.
One With Wood
LT40HDG25, Woodmizer DH4000 Kiln

beenthere

Couldn't afford to build things to sell that don't break down. Prolly could build a cable that is more reliable but then will the customer really want to pay the extra? IMO
south central Wisconsin
It may be that my sole purpose in life is simply to serve as a warning to others

MartyParsons

I hear you all.
I dont have a good answer. I know they were wanting the cables returned so they could see what the issue was. So please make sure you return the cable. WM said they were not seeing the cables returned to engineering.
Thanks
Marty

4x4American

Funny I wasn't told that!  There was no return shipping label either.  Haven't found the problem yet.  Got a splitter cable they overnight (appreciate it) to test out today.
Boy, back in my day..

4x4American

Musta been the transducer.  Replaced that and so far so good.  Special thanks to Marty Parsons for being a big help with this ordeal.  Also had good help from James at the Oregon branch, Jeremy from NY, and Rick from Indy.
Boy, back in my day..

woodmills1

my problem was the cable and I have thought about it a lot.  I think if I am careless when I flip open the remote cover it strikes the plug on the back of the computer for the transducer.  Do that a few times and a plug and unplug works. do it a few more times and the connection is damaged, they are very small pins.  My cover will strike the connection if I am not careful.  I am very careful how I open the cover now.  Just my thoughts

4x4American

I have noticed that my cover hits the connection too.  I did not replace that cable, and the aII seems to be working well now. 
Boy, back in my day..

Thank You Sponsors!