iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

band sawmill project

Started by Leggman, April 25, 2015, 11:32:20 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Leggman

I am so tight I squeak when I walk so I will try to make one first. Then I will buy one. :D

Leggman

Another stupid question?  I keep reading on here about "stickering" your boards. Is that referring to the little slats that go between the boards so air can get in? I am new to this and curious.

tmarch

Yes those "little slats" are commonly 1X1 dry "stickers".  They are dried to prevent stain, or help prevent it as green wood on green stickers will often mold or stain.
Retired to the ranch, saw, and sell solar pumps.

Ox

Quote from: Leggman on May 29, 2015, 12:39:33 AM
I am so tight I squeak when I walk
:D  My laugh for the day!

I don't have any suggestions for making a cant hook as I've never made one.  I do know that the hook geometry is a very fine science and that some just don't wanna hook.  The Logrites hook better than anything and that's all I know.  I hope your homemade hook turns out well!  :)
K.I.S.S. - Keep It Simple Stupid
Use it up, wear it out, make it do or do without
1989 GMC 3500 4x4 diesel dump and plow truck, 1964 Oliver 1600 Industrial with Parsons loader and backhoe, 1986 Zetor 5211, Cat's Claw sharpener, single tooth setter, homemade Linn Lumber 1900 style mill, old tools

Leggman

I got a little done today, I mounted the other two jacks. I got a late start because I slept in.

I still have to mount the tail lights but not a big hurry for that.
Hopefully I will be cutting next week.

Magicman

Quote from: Leggman on May 29, 2015, 09:36:44 AMAnother stupid question?
The only "stupid" question is an "unasked" question.   :)  :P
Knothole Sawmill, LLC     '98 Wood-Mizer LT40SuperHydraulic   WM Million BF Club Member   WM Pro Sawyer Network

It's Weird being the Same Age as Old People

Never allow your "need" to make money to exceed your "desire" to provide quality service.....The Magicman

Hilltop366

Looks good!

Film @ 11:00 ? ;D

Joe Hillmann

Just a quick suggestion.  You may want to think about NOT putting taillights on it and instead using a magnetic set when you tow it.  There are a lot of ways for taillights to get broken by something heavy hitting them on a sawmill.  If you do mount them you may want to think about putting some type of heavy duty cage to protect them. Like this http://www.princessauto.com/en/detail/2-pc-stop-turn-tail-trailer-light-guards/A-p8187288e

Ox

Around here in farm country a sawmill is considered agricultural equipment.  No plates or lights required.  It's the same as pulling a discbine or hay wagon down the road.
Lights would be nice to try to wake up all the zombies that are driving the roads these days and help protect your investment.
1989 GMC 3500 4x4 diesel dump and plow truck, 1964 Oliver 1600 Industrial with Parsons loader and backhoe, 1986 Zetor 5211, Cat's Claw sharpener, single tooth setter, homemade Linn Lumber 1900 style mill, old tools

Leggman

Thinking maybe a couple of cheap c clamps that  I can weld brackets to. That way I can take the lights off when I am sawing.

gww

I have had as many magnet lights disinigrate as I have busted fixed lights.  I mostly just pull durring day light hours due to this.  I have a heck of a time keeping the lisence from getting beat up and lost also.  It is nice to know that the mill could posibly be considerred differrent then a trailer.

You do have a mill to be proud of leggman.
gww

justallan1

I'd add lights now while everything is nice and clean. Legal or not, it would probably take the same amount of time to do it now as it could discussing it along side the road with law enforcement. ;D Nothing against the police, they're just trying to keep folks safe. Please believe this, you will get stuck out somewhere after dark and wish you had them.
What I do is make "light cans" out of a piece of pipe that your light fits into and weld a piece of flat steel on the end. They are bulletproof.

gww

I actually agree with Justallen.  I do personaly have every light on every trailer broke or shook apart but I also have had to leave things sit all night due to this fact.  The only thing that saves me is I never go anywhere.  If I was going to use it often I would want it right.  I still like ox's ideal of not needing a lisence.  If you own lots of stuff, you can spend lots of time at the lisence office.
gww

Leggman

I like the can idea. I have some pipe that should work just fine. Pics to come

Leggman

I decided to once again change my mind and make the tail lights removable. I will only use them when I need them.
I didn't get them mounted because I ran out of daylight. I did get the handle for the peavey yesterday. 9.99 at lowes

Ox

Hey now!  That's a nifty idea.  Thanks for sharing. 

Leggman

Got them done and mounted. A couple of turns with a wrench and the whole assembly comes off to be put away until needed again. I don't know if the pics will show it but the lights do work.

PC-Urban-Sawyer

Tack a couple of small handwheels on those bolts and you don't even need a wrench!

Herb

Thank You Sponsors!