iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Oak Tree Bark

Started by dsgsr, April 25, 2015, 04:01:13 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

dsgsr

What's the Difference in these two Oaks? Other than Ones on the left and Ones on the Right:)  Maybe I should ask, Why is the bark different? I recognize the one on the left as Red Oak. Both are growing out of the same stump, growing on ledge. Could it be a case of One twin got more nutrients than the other? I have a lot of both bark types on my property and most are single stem.

Thanks,
David

Northlander band mill
Kubota M59 TLB
Takeuchi TB175 Excavator
'08 Ford 550 dump
'87 International Dump
2015 Miller 325 Trailblazer Welder/Gen

Maine logger88

I have wondered that before myself and I have no answer. Nice looking trees tho
79 TJ 225 81 JD 540B Husky and Jonsered saws

dsgsr

They're not ready for harvest, only about 14" dbh. I think it is the health of the tree that makes the diff.

David
Northlander band mill
Kubota M59 TLB
Takeuchi TB175 Excavator
'08 Ford 550 dump
'87 International Dump

g_man

I am no expert so probably should not answer but I would say the one on the left is growing faster and is more vigorous thus the tighter looking bark.

CCC4

I'm gonna go out on a limb and say they aren't the same sub specie...where is WDH when we need him??...bet he will know!!

See the speckled one...there is a type of oak here that I cut from time to time, people here say it's quick growth red oak...I say it's a hybrid or bastard. I wish I could post pics on here...I would show you exactly what I am talking about. I'm not saying that is the case in your trees but, I am pretty sure they can cross pollinate with other strains of oak

CCC4

I'm gonna go further and say that I would dang near bet ya that the tree on the left will have a huge sap ring and be very very pale while the tree on your right will be red and true to red oak

Maine372

I believe those are different sub-species. red oak on the left and black oak on the right.

overtime

Im going with maine372 red oak on left and black oak on the right

WDH

The leaves will tell the tale.  Northern red oak leaves will be shiny smooth on the bottom.  Black oak leaves will have a hairy midrib on the bottom side.  Acorns are different too.

With no more than the pic to go on, I agree that they are likely two different species, and northern red oak and black oak make sense. 
Woodmizer LT40HDD35, John Deere 2155, Kubota M5-111, Kubota L2501, Nyle L53 Dehumidification Kiln, and a passion for all things with leafs, twigs, and bark.  hamsleyhardwood.com

dsgsr

Thank you very much for the information. I did not know about Black Oak here in Maine. Is the Wood any different in Black compared to Red?

Thanks,
David
Northlander band mill
Kubota M59 TLB
Takeuchi TB175 Excavator
'08 Ford 550 dump
'87 International Dump

beenthere

Not different in a way that is detectable... may be some difference in overall quality... knot size/distribution, color variation, etc.

But under the microscope, no.
south central Wisconsin
It may be that my sole purpose in life is simply to serve as a warning to others

g_man

Quote from: dsgsr on April 26, 2015, 07:48:11 AM
Thank you very much for the information. I did not know about Black Oak here in Maine. Is the Wood any different in Black compared to Red?

Thanks,
David

X 2 ^^

SwampDonkey

I would say the same. There is black oak in Maine. Up here in New Brunswick we only have northern red oak. And very rare we find bur oak, which isn't a red oak but a white oak. Our red oak around here have yellow fall foliage that quickly goes brown. The colour goes out of the leaves fast compared to maple leaves.
"No amount of belief makes something a fact." James Randi

1 Thessalonians 5:21

2020 Polaris Ranger 570 to forward firewood, Husqvarna 555 XT Pro, Stihl FS560 clearing saw and continuously thinning my ground, on the side. Grow them trees. (((o)))

woodmills1

yes, 2 different trees close together can seem to be one.  I had a giant second growth red oak at my other house, with like 7 trunks.  On closer inspection one trunk was a basswood that got swallowed up at the base.
James Mills,Lovely wife,collect old tools,vacuuming fool,36 bdft/hr,oak paper cutter,ebonic yooper rapper nauga seller, Blue Ox? its not fast, 2 cat family, LT70,edger, 375 bd ft/hr, we like Bob,free heat,no oil 12 years,big splitter, baked stuffed lobster, still cuttin the logs dere IAM

mesquite buckeye

Quote from: WDH on April 25, 2015, 08:05:44 PM
The leaves will tell the tale.  Northern red oak leaves will be shiny smooth on the bottom.  Black oak leaves will have a hairy midrib on the bottom side.  Acorns are different too.

With no more than the pic to go on, I agree that they are likely two different species, and northern red oak and black oak make sense.

X4
Manage 80 acre tree farm in central Missouri and Mesquite timber and about a gozillion saguaros in Arizona.

thecfarm

dsgsr,you really need the book Forest Trees of Maine. here's the link
http://www.maine.gov/dacf/mfs/publications/handbooks_guides/forest_trees/index.html
To order the link is on the lower right. It's $15. I orderd one for the grandson and they sent me the book with a bill inside of it.  :o
It had both of your trees in it,very clearly on the bark part. It has helped me out alot. Really anyone in the state of Maine should have this book.
I perfer the book because I can bring it out to the woods.
Model 6020-20hp Manual Thomas bandsaw,TC40A 4wd 40 hp New Holland tractor, 450 Norse Winch, Heatmor 400 OWB,YCC 1978-79

dsgsr

thecfarm, thank you for the reminder. I have that link on my puter, just forgot about it. The book would be more helpful out in the woods.

Looking at the link, that tree could be Bur Oak. It states Bur Oak as being more prevalent in my area than Black Oak.

David
Northlander band mill
Kubota M59 TLB
Takeuchi TB175 Excavator
'08 Ford 550 dump
'87 International Dump

thecfarm

The leaves will help on each one. That will take a month more.
Model 6020-20hp Manual Thomas bandsaw,TC40A 4wd 40 hp New Holland tractor, 450 Norse Winch, Heatmor 400 OWB,YCC 1978-79

WDH

IF that is the right pair, there should be two types of acorn cups on the ground.  One larger and saucer shaped (northern red oak) and one smaller and bowl shaped (black oak).

Also, if you take a pocket knife and excavate a small hole in the bark on the suspected black oak, the inner bark should be bright orange. 
Woodmizer LT40HDD35, John Deere 2155, Kubota M5-111, Kubota L2501, Nyle L53 Dehumidification Kiln, and a passion for all things with leafs, twigs, and bark.  hamsleyhardwood.com

Phorester

dsgsr

WDH, Phorester, Thank you. I'll try that.

David
Northlander band mill
Kubota M59 TLB
Takeuchi TB175 Excavator
'08 Ford 550 dump
'87 International Dump

Thank You Sponsors!