iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Husqvarna 435

Started by dirtmover1250, April 25, 2015, 06:01:41 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

dirtmover1250

Given that I like to work alone, i was thinking it would be a good idea to carry 2 chainsaws if im doing alot work. particularly if im bucking some trees up and pinch my saw, i can rescue myself. I love stihl, but im curious about husqvarna. Ive been eyeballing a 435 as a back up saw to my Stihl MS180C. Its a little more power, little longer bar, and half the price on the internet. I'd like to give this brand a try. Anyone got anything to share about this saw? The way the chainsaw bug has bit me lately, it wouldnt suprise me that for every stihl i own, i may have a husqvarna of comparable size. After a good conversation with a dealer, they do seem to have some tradeoffs, like more RPM's over the stihls.

What parts of the country does this brand seem to be more popular in? My city seems to have more of an abundance of stihl dealers then husqvarna.

Which husqvarna saws are poulan clones? I'd like to avoid those like the plague. Even if i have to step up from a 435.
Stihl MS180C, 16" bar
Stihl MS362CM, 20" bar

Spike60

Your logic is sound. A second saw has come in handy plenty of times for most of us. Geting stuck, hitting a rock, breaking a starter rope. I'd almost swear only having one saw increases the chances of those things happening.  :)

The 235/240 Huskys are the Poulan derrived saws and you are right to avoid them. I won't sell them in my store. The 435 is the entry level "real Husky", and is not a bad little saw. Likely a little quicker than your 180. The 435 doesn't have a deco button and it does have a fair amount of compression for a little saw. I have sold some to gals and old timers and needed to upgrade them to the "E" style spring assist starter. For most of us this is no issue at all; just mentioning it in case it's important to you.

Husky is strongest up here in the Northeast, particularly with the pros. Both loggers and arborists tend to favor Husky around here.
Husqvarna-Jonsered
Ashokan Turf and Timber
845-657-6395

Logger003

The dealer here that I work for we sell both and we find the stihl move 3 to 1 over the husky

346xp

Just the opposite here we sell 3 times more husky than stihl with a few dolmars in the mix 8)

beenthere

Buying used is a different ballgame for potential problems than buying new. Ya take your chances... wish you good luck.
south central Wisconsin
It may be that my sole purpose in life is simply to serve as a warning to others

Logger003

Quote from: 346xp on April 25, 2015, 10:42:20 AM
Just the opposite here we sell 3 times more husky than stihl with a few dolmars in

346xp

X2 what spike said the first real husky in the line up and not a bad entry level saw just don't over work it  8)

dirtmover1250

Quote from: 346xp on April 25, 2015, 05:20:10 PM
X2 what spike said the first real husky in the line up and not a bad entry level saw just don't over work it  8)

thats the problem with me though, i work the dog crap out of everything.
Stihl MS180C, 16" bar
Stihl MS362CM, 20" bar

Oliver1655

There are quality models & home owner models in all the brands.  Having a good dealer is very important.  The 435 is a good saw & you will be adding a 41cc saw to your 32cc Stihl 180c.

Question:  What size wood will you be working with?  Would it be a better option to add a 50-60cc saw rather than just a 41cc or would the weight difference be a problem for you?

If you are happy with smaller saws, consider even with the same size bar, chances are the number of driver links (DL) on a Husky will not be the same as the Stihl.  You will want to check.  This is not a major problem but will require you to keep more chains & have them separated.
John

Stihl S-08s (x2), Stihl S10 (x2), Jonsered CS2139T, Husqvarna 338XPT California, Poulan Microvibe XXV, Poulan WoodShark, Poulan Pro 42cc, McCulloch Mini-Mac 6 (x2), Van Ruder Hydraulic Tractor Chainsaw

AlaskaLes

I'm not a dealer, but I've run many stihl's and husky's and Echo's professionally in my work history.

My preference is without a doubt the Husky's.
Stihl just always seemed to be a step behind on the power and technology.

This is, of course, just my personal opinion.
Also use a couple of the Echo 330's for the tree climbing work and they have proven to be very good saws.

My next saw will be a Husky 395XP or a 3120XP to help deal with the occasional 4 ft diameter cottonwoods that we cut for turning blanks.
I wouldn't kick a Stihl out of the stable as they are a great saw, but for me the Husky's are noticeably superior.

Lastly, I wouldn't buy either brand if they are not in the professional line.  I've run a few of the "homeowner or farm grade" saws and they ALWAYS end up costing me time and loss of production as they just won't keep going without constant adjustments.
You can see Mt McKinley from our backyard...Up Close!!

Mighty Mite MK 4B, full-hyd, diesel bandmill
Kubota 4wd 3650GST w/FEL; Forks;
3pt Log Arm& Log trailer
Husky 394XP
Husky 371XP
Husky 353
Echo 330T
Nyle 200M
Robar RC-50 50BMG-just in case the trees get out of line

DDDfarmer

What are you cutting mostly?
Treefarmer C5C with cancar 20 (gearmatic 119) winch, Husky 562xp 576xp chainsaws

dirtmover1250

i cant really answer that question. whatever i happen to need to cut in a residential setting or property clearing. the comment was made not to over work the saw? i work the dog crap out of everything i own.
Stihl MS180C, 16" bar
Stihl MS362CM, 20" bar

tranabo_bjoern

When I decided for my saws I had some issues in mind:

• Having a second saw handy in case one is chaught

Usually wedges should avoid this moment, but it can happen anyway. Apart from a second saw, a set of wedges is good to have as well. I carry usually plastic and aluminum wedges since they do not damage the chain and bar in case of contact.

• What do I want to cut

The thickness and type of wood defines the usuability of a saw. When you cut more hardwood you need a more powerful saw as with softwood.

• How much will I cut?

Do you cut every day? Weekly? The more often you cut the closer you come to a professional saw. I am cutting every month and I run a Jondered 2234 for liming and a 460 Rancher for toucher jobs.

• Do the engines use the same gas mix as 1:50?

This is more a praactical consideration. Stihl and Husky operate both on 1:50 while Poulan often runs on 1:40. Funny since Poulan is made by Husqvarna these days.

• Where do I get service, in case needed?

Sounds natural. I have a Husky dealer nearby so I run Husky. This is apart from that I am a Husky fan.

• What are the costs of regular wearing out components?

Check out how much chains and bars cost. If you do wrong here, maintaining becomes costly.
[/list]

Just some ideas from Europe....
Just do it!

Husky 395xp 20 inch bar
Husky 460xp x-torq Rancher 24 and 20 inch bar
Husky 61 18 inch bar
Jonsered 2234 14 inch bar
McCulloch cs 380 18 inch bar

dirtmover1250

i noticed lowes had the 435, 440, and 460 rancher. when i compared them on the dealers site, it looked like the 435 had more features then the 440, yet the 440 was only 20 dollars more in cost. could someone explain this? they are the same sized motor, i really dont know what the difference is?
Stihl MS180C, 16" bar
Stihl MS362CM, 20" bar

SawTroll

Well, at least the power rating is a bit higher on the 440, but the downside (at least here) is that you can't get the 440 without the "e" features. - that I would have wanted to avoid.
Information collector.

HolmenTree

I gave out alot of 435's for prizes over the years at my saw competition. This year my sponsor gave out 3 -450's.

Jen here and 5 months pregnant, won this 435 last year for 1st place in the women's. She won again this year and got a  450.
Notice the pile of sawdust she's standing in that we sweep off the stage.

Making a living with a saw since age 16.

dirtmover1250

Quote from: HolmenTree on May 14, 2015, 08:47:42 PM
I gave out alot of 435's for prizes over the years at my saw competition. This year my sponsor gave out 3 -450's.

Jen here and 5 months pregnant, won this 435 last year for 1st place in the women's. She won again this year and got  450.
Notice the pile of sawdust she's standing in that we sweep off the stage.

So your sayin i should probably just go with the 435?

Quote from: SawTroll on May 14, 2015, 08:16:01 PM
Well, at least the power rating is a bit higher on the 440, but the downside (at least here) is that you can't get the 440 without the "e" features. - that I would have wanted to avoid.

Would the model number be 440E in that case? The one at the local department store just said 440 X Tourq.
Stihl MS180C, 16" bar
Stihl MS362CM, 20" bar

SawTroll

Quote from: dirtmover1250 on May 14, 2015, 10:25:35 PM
Quote from: SawTroll on May 14, 2015, 08:16:01 PM

Would the model number be 440E in that case? The one at the local department store just said 440 X Tourq.

It should be - but anyway it is easy see the differense, as the "e" version has a "tool less" chain adjuster, that is hard to not notise - and should be avoided.
Information collector.

HolmenTree

Good reports so far from  my competitors with their 435 prize saws. Good comments on the 450 too.
Making a living with a saw since age 16.

JohnG28

Does Husky still use green gas caps on e tech series saws? They used to be easily distinguished by this but I don't know if it still holds up.
Stihl MS361, 460 & 200T, Jonsered 490, Jonsereds 90, Husky 350 & 142, Homelite XL and Super XL

SawTroll

Quote from: JohnG28 on May 15, 2015, 08:34:42 PM
Does Husky still use green gas caps on e tech series saws? They used to be easily distinguished by this but I don't know if it still holds up.
They no longer make any e-tech saws, that I know of. The current homeowner saws with an "e" designation has nothing to do with e-tech
Information collector.

Thank You Sponsors!