iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Owning your own mill

Started by Wallys World, April 25, 2015, 02:54:33 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Wallys World

We live on family land where we have quite a few out buildings that we share. One little shed (9 x 9) is home to the Sabre mower. My wife asked me the other day if I had noticed or if cousin Rick had told me about the roof. Well I checked it out and the front over the door is rotten, no roofing above and a couple of the rafters are failing too. Cousin Rick says "I'll guess I'll need to get some boards someday to fix it". I told him that remember I have the mill, lets get a material list and go and mill some lumber up. "Oh yea." So a few 2 x 8's, 2 x 4's and some 1 x 6. It is kinda nice when you don't have to go to the big box store to get what you need, just go down to the mill and cut some. Off to the woods for some Popular, lots of that down from a wind storm. Maybe today if the weather holds good.
"Yea, I can do that! Made possible thru Wood Mizer".
Wood-Mizer LT28G25, Wood-Mizer EG10 Edger, Wallenstein Timber Talon log loader trailer, Wallenstein GX640 wood splitter, Wallenstein WP835 Fire Wood Processor, Kubota BX 22 TLB, JD 445, JD Gator, Home made arch, Stihl 024 Super, MS251, MS311, MS440 Magnum & MS660.

thecfarm

Yep,I do the same thing. It does come in handy.
Model 6020-20hp Manual Thomas bandsaw,TC40A 4wd 40 hp New Holland tractor, 450 Norse Winch, Heatmor 400 OWB,YCC 1978-79

Magicman

The ultimate DIY machine.   8)
Knothole Sawmill, LLC     '98 Wood-Mizer LT40SuperHydraulic   WM Million BF Club Member   WM Pro Sawyer Network

It's Weird being the Same Age as Old People

Never allow your "need" to make money to exceed your "desire" to provide quality service.....The Magicman

goose63

It is nice having your own lumber yard
goose
if you find your self in a deep hole stop digging
saw logs all day what do you get lots of lumber and a day older
thank you to all the vets

Chuck White

Very nice when "all of the sudden" you need a few boards and your reply is:  I'll just go out back and get some.   smiley_thumbsup
~Chuck~  Cooks Cat Claw sharpener and single tooth setter.  2018 Chevy Silverado and 2021 Subaru Ascent.
With basic mechanical skills and the ability to read you can maintain a Woodmizer  LT40!

Wallys World

Finally got a chance to mill the logs for the shed. Skidded 2 nice popular logs out, all that went fine. Started the mill, it ran for a minute or so then died. Cranked it, nothing. Got has in the tank, should have spark. Pulled the fuel line after the fuel pump, nothing. Its Saturday afternoon, where am I going to get a Kohler fuel pump. We'll I have 2 more pieces of equipment with the same motor. Pulled the fuel pump off of the stump grinder, bit during my rushed install I cracked the valve cover. Today I swapped valve covers, (the fuel pump mounts to it) swapped fuel pump parts. and fired it up. Ready to saw in the morning.
Wood-Mizer LT28G25, Wood-Mizer EG10 Edger, Wallenstein Timber Talon log loader trailer, Wallenstein GX640 wood splitter, Wallenstein WP835 Fire Wood Processor, Kubota BX 22 TLB, JD 445, JD Gator, Home made arch, Stihl 024 Super, MS251, MS311, MS440 Magnum & MS660.

Ox

In the words of ol' Hank Jr. - a country boy can survive.
Please don't do like I have and forget that you robbed a part off something else and then needed that something else and are now screwed. 
I ended up just shoving the breakdown period down the calendar a little.   ::)
K.I.S.S. - Keep It Simple Stupid
Use it up, wear it out, make it do or do without
1989 GMC 3500 4x4 diesel dump and plow truck, 1964 Oliver 1600 Industrial with Parsons loader and backhoe, 1986 Zetor 5211, Cat's Claw sharpener, single tooth setter, homemade Linn Lumber 1900 style mill, old tools

Dad2FourWI

QuoteOwning your own mill
... the "big box stores" HATE this kind of thinking!!!!!!

:D :D :D :D

Great job!.... hey, where are the pics!?!?!?!?

-Dad2FourWI
LT-40, LT-10, EG-50, Bobcat T750 CTL, Ford 1910 tractor, tree farmer

Wallys World

Pulled the mill back down to the log yard this morning, set it up loaded a big (28") popular log and went to work. Milled up everything we need I think and then after the last cut while moving the head back all of a sudden it stopped and locked up. We were done anyway so I pulled the drive motor off. Tore it apart and found a little clip that holds the magnets in place had broken off and got between the magnet and the commutator. Removed the metal, cleaned and assembled it back. I'll try to get it installed tomorrow afternoon before I go to work.
   Picture - I have some on the tablet...I'll get them posted.

I've already got the parts coming for the stump grinder - got a job to do next week with it!

Wallys World

A few pics of the other day.

You can see the first log =ready to go on the mill in front of the tractor. Used the arch to move these logs in.

Another view of the hydraulic winch and arch rig.

All cut from 1 log, 2 x 8's, 2 x 4's, and 1 x 6 and narrower.

The little shed in need of a new roof and supports.

dablack

I'm real impressed that BX Kubota pulled that log out.  I really like your setup!

That hydralic winch combined with the log arch and you are SET UP!  Very nice. 

With nothing to scale your picture to, you should tell everyone that it is an L series Kubota and the log is 48" diameter!  HA!
Building my own house in East TX

Dad2FourWI

Nice pics!!! (love that arch!)

Hey, that trailer holding the stacked boards looks a little "weak"...  :D :D :D :D 

Nice setup and I bet that little shed is looking forward to some TLC !

-Dad2FourWI

Ox

What exactly is that wagon holding the stack of lumber?  Looks almost military-ish.  And how to you hook up to pull it?
1989 GMC 3500 4x4 diesel dump and plow truck, 1964 Oliver 1600 Industrial with Parsons loader and backhoe, 1986 Zetor 5211, Cat's Claw sharpener, single tooth setter, homemade Linn Lumber 1900 style mill, old tools

Wallys World

The Kubota BX is a little workhorse. It is a TLB model (tractor/loader/backhoe). The backhoe is a frame mount. Digs good. Built my 35 x 56 foot shop with it. The winch is a MileMarker hydraulic.  I can run the motor at 1/2 throttle and have all the pulling power I need. I have been skidding to the road and using the Wallenstein Timber Talon to bring them back to the mill with, but sometimes it seems like a major production to move all the equipment around by yourself.
The wagon is a warehouse cart from Fort Bragg. I have 2 of them. They had/have hitches to "train" them together. I pulled the rear hitch off the one pictured to be mounted on a draw bar. I usually use a large clevis and pin on my draw bar. They can hold a lot of weight, 10 ply tires on them. Paid (if I remember correctly) $160 for the pair.

Dad2FourWI

Ouch!!!!

I would hate to have to push that wagon around by hand!!!  :D :D :D :D

$160 for the pair.... yup, I think you came out ok on that one!  ;D

-Dad2FourWI

Ox

Just saw the pic of the old shed again.  I love the looks of old non-painted/treated buildings.  Takes me back to a simpler time and place.

Wallys World

Before living here in Virginia we had a place in Endicott, NY where I did a 10 x 20 shed in the back yard in board and baton. I left it natural. It looked pretty cool.

Ox

I've been told by the old timers around here that natural wood/lumber will only "rot" so far and then stop.  I think what they're saying is it'll turn that nice silvery gray and it'll only penetrate so far and that's it.  As long as when it gets wet it can dry back out it'll last a VERY long time without spending a small fortune on stains or sealers.  I agree with just about everything the old timers say.  They know stuff.

Wallys World

Worked on the little shed yesterday. My cousin had pulled all of the rotten roof and other off of the main shed so I had a clean pallet to work with.

2 x 4 under the 2 x 8 laid flat is a door stop. 

A couple of inside views.

Top view from the back.
My cousin will work on finishing the siding and trim work now. Need to get the tar paper on and the shingles. Found 3 bundles of shingles on CL for $30. That's a deal!

mad murdock

those boards almost look too nice to cover up :)
Turbosawmill M6 (now M8) Warrior Ultra liteweight, Granberg Alaskan III, lots of saws-gas powered and human powered :D

DMcCoy

Quote from: mad murdock on June 02, 2015, 02:01:45 AM
those boards almost look too nice to cover up :)
I was thinking the same thing.  Makes one a little envious with all the different trees from other parts of the country.

drobertson

I knew by the look of that poplar you were going to get some good stuff, the repair looks good,,
only have a few chain saws I'm not suppose to use, but will at times, one dog Dolly, pretty good dog, just not sure what for yet,  working on getting the gardening back in order, and kinda thinking on maybe a small bbq bizz,  thinking about it,

Thank You Sponsors!