iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Ticks

Started by 4x4American, April 24, 2015, 10:10:36 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

John Mc

Best thing I've found for removing ticks: Tick Twister
Works on pets and people. I buy mine at my local veterinarian, it costs about $6 if I recall. There are lots of places to get them online.

They recommend not using alcohol, vaseline, gasoline or a match to get them off. Even tweezers can be a problem if not done correctly. If you squash or otherwise severely distress the bug, it can disgorge whatever it has, possibly transmitting disease in the process.
If the only tool you have is a hammer, you tend to see every problem as a nail.   - Abraham Maslow

Dad2FourWI

Yes, John Mc is spot on!!!

We have used the Tick Twister for a long time (see my previous post for some pics) and we are really in "tick country" here in central WI...

A "normal day" here is at _least_ 7 ticks pulled off with the tick twister... Well, that is a bit tongue-n-cheek as we have 4 children, three cats, and a dog...   :D :D

Now, I do NOT want to turn this into a "cooking thread" but I like to tell everyone that while the ticks have been removed from all the members of the family every day... I have not had even one yet... but I doooo love my GARLIC!!! I eat more raw garlic in olive oil with various spices on most of my meals than I care to admit!!

It keep the ticks away... hmmm, actually, it keep most everyone away!!!!!  :D :D :D :D

Gosh, just writing this... I am getting hungry!

-Dad2FourWI
LT-40, LT-10, EG-50, Bobcat T750 CTL, Ford 1910 tractor, tree farmer

4x4American

Yuum!  Good idea!
Boy, back in my day..

Chuck White

Ticks must run in cycles, like most wild things.

I had never seen a tick of any kind before maybe a couple of years ago, so must be they're in the up-cycle now.
~Chuck~  Cooks Cat Claw sharpener and single tooth setter.  2018 Chevy Silverado and 2021 Subaru Ascent.
With basic mechanical skills and the ability to read you can maintain a Woodmizer  LT40!

John Mc

Chuck, when we first moved to Vermont in 2001, we rarely had a problem with ticks. Didn't treat our dog with anything, never found one on ourselves. Local doctors rarely tested for Lyme disease (and some were not very familiar with it). It was a push to get them to test for it, and often you had to convince them that you had traveled to a place with a known Lyme problem.

We don't have that situation here any more. Yes, we do see up and down years for ticks, but the overall trend has been dramatically upward in Vermont. I suspect that if you've started seeing more ticks in your area, you are going to continue to see more and more as the years go by.
If the only tool you have is a hammer, you tend to see every problem as a nail.   - Abraham Maslow

4x4American

Prolly cause it's too cold where yawl are at!  Anyone here from the great white north to tell us about your ticks?
Boy, back in my day..

Den Socling

We use a tick twister too. Neither tick nor fleas get on me. Too much beer in my blood.  :D But ticks will get on our cat and dog and fleas will get on Patti. Nasty little biters.

coxy

how many people has been treated more than twice with doxy       how many times can you  be treated 

Ox

Ticks and associated problems have dramatically increased around here.  15 years ago you hardly ever heard of someone getting a tick.  It was rare.  Dogs and cats hardly ever got them.  Now it's commonplace.
My 11 year old daughter had one hooked into her belly 2 weeks ago when it was up in the 90s which is also rare for this early in the year around here.  I myself had to fight off Lyme (I believe it was Lyme) several years ago.
Frickin' parasites. 
Makes me think of some "people" I know of.
I also eat garlic and I promise it helps with keeping bugs away more than someone who doesn't eat it.  If you can't eat it at least try the garlic pills they sell.  I bet it helps with bugs.
K.I.S.S. - Keep It Simple Stupid
Use it up, wear it out, make it do or do without
1989 GMC 3500 4x4 diesel dump and plow truck, 1964 Oliver 1600 Industrial with Parsons loader and backhoe, 1986 Zetor 5211, Cat's Claw sharpener, single tooth setter, homemade Linn Lumber 1900 style mill, old tools

John Mc

Quote from: coxy on May 21, 2015, 06:29:12 AM
how many people has been treated more than twice with doxy       how many times can you  be treated

I had doxycycline once.  I don't think it's a matter of how many times an individual person can take it, it's a matter of if it's over-prescribed generally and used when not needed Lyme or other diseases may develop some resistance to the drug. (But I'm no doctor, nor did I play one on TV, nor did I stay at a Holiday Inn Express last night. Hopefully one of the docs on here will chime in)

clww

This year I'm keeping count of how many I find on me, either crawling or attached. So far, I haven't had any this week. My count is up to 23, though. >:(
Many Stihl Saws-16"-60"
"Go Ask The Other Master Chief"
18-Wheeler Driver

pappy19

Dog flea collars around each boot will keep them off of your legs, also keeps chiggers off. Then hang one or two off your belt loops and you should be set. No more ticks.
2008 F-250 V-10
2007 Lincoln LT
1996 Ford Bronco
Kubota 900 RTV
Shindiawa fan

clww

Read somewhere that some of those flea collars were causing cancer in the dogs. After two bouts, I'm a little gun shy about taking that chance.
Many Stihl Saws-16"-60"
"Go Ask The Other Master Chief"
18-Wheeler Driver

John Vander

Love garlic, just have to stay away from open flames... ;D
Tree and saw accidents nullify years of forestry experience.

Bruno of NH

Got home last night sat in the chair look down tick running up my leg .
Have a new dog don't know if it came in on her or me .
Jim/Bruno
Lt 40 wide with 38hp gas and command controls , F350 4x4 dump and lot of contracting tools

Thank You Sponsors!