iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Halogen heat?

Started by JHEPP08, April 24, 2015, 09:40:11 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

JHEPP08

New guy here.. I have a Ebac3000 (which works great for what it is)...

I've heard that if you run it as hot as it'll go (120) the compressors will go bad... Well I was thinking of not running it as hard an using halogen lights an or a electric heater ? I also have a wood furnace . My chamber is extremely tight so it holds heat great so I was thinking if I had a auxiliary heat source it would be a win win . It would be easier on the machine an get the extra heat I need ?

Any information or 2 cents would be appreciated.. Just a young pup trying to add value to my lumber an learn along the way

Thanks
Woodmizer LT15

Den Socling

I would guess that at 120 you could switch from DH to "steam" kiln mode.

GeneWengert-WoodDoc

You are correct about the effect of heat.  Basically, above 115 F, the lubricant begins to do a poor job, so the compressor wears and eventually fails.

So, if you turn off the DH unit and go hotter, then you will need another source to remove moisture from the kiln.  The kiln, depending on the species, thickness and MC, might require under 20% RH.  Without the DH, you would have to vent.  Venting is not energy efficient (hot, moist air is exhausted and cool outside air is brought in that will become lower in RH when heated).  For each 1% MC removed from 1000 BF of lumber, you will need 100,000 BTUs, (30 kilowatts), of which about 25,000 BTUs is for vent loss.  At the high price of electricity, you can appreciate why people consider alternate fuels, especially wood, for kiln energy.
Gene - Author of articles in Sawmill & Woodlot and books: Drying Hardwood Lumber; VA Tech Solar Kiln; Sawing Edging & Trimming Hardwood Lumber. And more

Thank You Sponsors!