iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Lister Diesel Gen set

Started by dgdrls, April 24, 2015, 06:15:40 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

dgdrls

Anyone here have experience operating a Lister diesel generator?
Interested in learning more about them as an option to power my future shop.
Plan would be for power in the shop, LED lights,
some outlets for hand tools maybe a compressor.
Would also like to be able to power critical house circuits with it
in emergency conditions.

Best
DGDrls

tule peak timber

Hope you are looking at at least 5-7 KW. Most of the listers I'm familiar with are smaller.  Rob
persistence personified - never let up , never let down

mad murdock

One thing you can do to reduce power needed for lighting, is to look into building yourself some joule robber coils to power your LED lights. You can cut the power needed to run lights by 60% or more.
Turbosawmill M6 (now M8) Warrior Ultra liteweight, Granberg Alaskan III, lots of saws-gas powered and human powered :D

scsmith42

There is a big difference in quality between the original Listers and the current knock offs from India. I have heard horror stories about poor metallurgy, poor machining, etc on the clones.
Peterson 10" WPF with 65' of track
Smith - Gallagher dedicated slabber
Tom's 3638D Baker band mill
and a mix of log handling heavy equipment.

mometal77

Do you have photos on the genset?  What size is the motor? DO you have a photo of the side decal on the side of the generator?
Too many Assholes... not enough bullets..."I might have become a millionaire, but I chose to become a tramp!

dgdrls

Thanks for the input so far, 

Mometal77 no decisions yet, there is a place in Maine that carries them,
Central Maine Diesel.

scsmith42,  I too have read similar stories,

I am interested  in them due to their efficiency and simplicity to drive a generator for my needs.

DGDrls

OntarioAl

Do a Google search or Listeroids (Lister knock offs made in India). There was some talk about the EPA banning them could not make Tier 1 ,2 ,3 ,4 ,...). I could be wrong though.
Al
Al Raman

JSNH

CMD carries parts. I use them for parts for my 6-1 lister. The EPA shut down the importation of lister diesels. The big issue if you are talking about the 6-1 series is frequency regulation. They don't stay at 60Hz close enough for most but not everything. It's a joy to get one going mine is a 600 RPM unit and it just has the sweetest sound.

red

check out www.utterpower.com
also FF Member
SCHWEIZER
has a web site with his Powerhouse using a Lister 
Honor the Fallen Thank the Living

mometal77

Look on craigslist,govt liquidations,hertz,united rental. I bought a few generators small and big from there.  How many amps do you want to go?  I found a few generators and waited and got a sweet deal on a 6cyl cummins brand new with a 134 kw for only 2500. Guy needed money.  Fuel consumption and amps is the two things i would look into.  Leds go to an rv store take photos of brand names of led lights which i just saw were 10 bucks a piece if not 20 here ugh...home depot t5 or t12 lights work a lot better but at 90 dollars for the fixture i believe.  And it is worth it like looking into the sun.  But online much cheaper when I oogled the company.  I never got a load test on my generator but its 3 phase i use to run the welder and was going to use for carbon arc later on when i get a 440 miller set up and wanted the amps... Ebay a few yrs ago i got a 60 kw brushless mac n mac off a farmer in Arizona for 1700 had it shipped up for other uses... remind me i need to get telephone wire for my thomson and howe gov tomorrow....
Too many Assholes... not enough bullets..."I might have become a millionaire, but I chose to become a tramp!

ozarkgem

Lister air cooled gen sets are VERY noisy. Excellent engines though. I would try and find a Kubota powered gen set.
Mighty Mite Band Mill, Case Backhoe, 763 Bobcat, Ford 3400 w/FEL , 1962 Ford 4000, Int dump truck, Clark forklift, lots of trailers. Stihl 046 Magnum, 029 Stihl. complete machine shop to keep everything going.

Ox

I have 2 original Listers and 1 Listeroid.
Listeroid has hundreds of hours on it.  Ran my whole house once for a little over a month.  4k maximum output on an ST-15 generator head. 
Lister 1 is a 1948 model, runs but needs rebuilding.
Lister 2 is actually a Lister Petter air cooled that is now hooked up to the ST head direct driven with a chain coupler.

You can run your whole house but I recommend a Kill-A-Watt meter to plug in and watch the voltage.  Be selective about what you're running at once.  I became very familiar with my breaker box during that one month thing.

Things aren't as sensitive to changing hz and voltage as what you might think.  The power supplies on the computers can handle anything from 50hz to 60hz and 100 volts to well over 240, if I remember right.  At least on mine anyways.

Biggest things for me was the (then) electric hot water heater and the well pump (240 ft down).  I never ran them at the same time.

I ran for 4 hours putting out around between 2k and 3k watts on one gallon of fuel. 

Read Utterpower thoroughly for maintenance tips and follow it religiously.  The engines will likely outlast you.

Any specific questions, just ask.  :)
K.I.S.S. - Keep It Simple Stupid
Use it up, wear it out, make it do or do without
1989 GMC 3500 4x4 diesel dump and plow truck, 1964 Oliver 1600 Industrial with Parsons loader and backhoe, 1986 Zetor 5211, Cat's Claw sharpener, single tooth setter, homemade Linn Lumber 1900 style mill, old tools

Thank You Sponsors!