iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

husq 235?

Started by BubbasDad, April 24, 2015, 12:30:46 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

BubbasDad

I am picking up a 235 tomorrow.CHEAP!!! 30$ needs a ring. Anybody have any experience with this little bugger? Prob just gonna flip it. Recon bar and chain, clean it up, get it hummin and send it down the road. I have enough small saws gotta send a few out. Would like to pick up a nice used 372 or similar saw but havent seen ANY, EVER!
John

old guy

Those are only $150 new and craigslist is full of them around here.
I bought one like new for $50 except the P O had activated the chain brake with the clutch cover off and had ruined the lugs on the activator trying to get it back on.
  I wouldn't waste my time on another one and I'm a Husqvarna fan.

John

BubbasDad

Thanks. I am not a fan of any small saw really. But i picked up a 142 recently and that thing seems to cut *DanG good for a 40cc saw. I Googled the 235 and seen new it was 219.ºº  so thought i could make couple bucks since i would have about 40 into it.
John

dougand3

I've repaired/sold Husky 141, 142, Poulan 2375, Poulan 260, Poulan Wild Thing 4018. All are similar clamshell saws. The Huskys are 40cc but almost all small Poulans are 42cc no matter the model #. They are easy flips if all they need are fuel lines, purge bulb (if equipped) and carb cleaning. Piston, ring and cylinder transfer removal is more of a pain on a clamshell. The REAL difference is you can get $75 for a Poulan and $95 for a Husqvarna - just by name. You might get more but I like to move them in 1-2 days.
Husky: 372xt, 272xp, 61, 55 (x3)...Poulan: 315, 4218 (x3), 2375, 2150, 2055, 2000 (x3)...Stihl 011AVT...Homelite XL...Saws come in broken, get fixed or parted, find new homes

SawTroll

Those saws are cheap POS made by poulan. The dealers I know here and in the US just refused to sell them.
Husky has discontinued the 235/236/240 here, and replaced them with the better 135, so far.
Information collector.

celliott

Quote from: BubbasDad on April 24, 2015, 12:30:46 AM
Would like to pick up a nice used 372 or similar saw but havent seen ANY, EVER!

Keep looking, they're out there. They made a TON of them. Might be able to find a logger or timber faller who has a clapped out one cheap.
I just got a low hour 2171 for $40  ;D Needs a new crank though  :-\
Chris Elliott

Clark 666C cable skidder
Husqvarna and Jonsered pro saws
265rx clearing saw
Professional maple tubing installer and maple sugaring worker, part time logger

BubbasDad

Quote from: celliott on April 24, 2015, 09:24:47 PM
Quote from: BubbasDad on April 24, 2015, 12:30:46 AM
Would like to pick up a nice used 372 or similar saw but havent seen ANY, EVER!

Keep looking, they're out there. They made a TON of them. Might be able to find a logger or timber faller who has a clapped out one cheap.
I just got a low hour 2171 for $40  ;D
Needs a new crank though  :-\

Nice find! Just found out the 235 is not a 235. Last number on plate is almost gone. Thinking its a 238. Not much different i would imagine but i ordered a ring going on what guy told me and now gotta send it back for fight one.
John

BubbasDad

I just picked up saw thinking it was gonna be a 235 and it turns out its not! Most of the last number on metal plate is gone. Now i am thinking its a 238. Is there any way to find out for sure through serial number?
   Mod# 23?
   Ser# 7010390
Any info would be great! Since i already ordered ring for 235 and...
John

sablatnic

The serial number could indicate a 238 built in 1987. Has it got an ignition coil to the right of carburettor?

Does it look like this?

http://www.husqvarna.com/ddoc/HUSI/HUSI1988_AAaa/HUSI1988_AAaa_I8800005_.pdf

old guy

Never heard of a 238, but I don't know everything.

John

celliott

I believe it's an open port, smaller bore version of the 242xp, 42 special, etc.
Split mag case, pro saw construction, old husky 200 series, it is MUCH different than a 235. You did better to get the 238 than the 235 I'd say.
Chris Elliott

Clark 666C cable skidder
265rx clearing saw

BubbasDad

Quote from: sablatnic on April 25, 2015, 03:02:49 AM
The serial number could indicate a 238 built in 1987. Has it got an ignition coil to the right of carburettor?

Does it look like this?

http://www.husqvarna.com/ddoc/HUSI/HUSI1988_AAaa/HUSI1988_AAaa_I8800005_.pdf

Yeah, just like that. Thanks sablantic! Does any body know if they were any good for a small saw?
John

sablatnic

They were good for their time and very well liked. Too bad about the ring. The 238 has a bore of 40mm but the 235 only 1,5" (close to 38mm).

Maine logger88

I believe that I read somewhere that you can put a 242xp p@c on a 238
79 TJ 225 81 JD 540B Husky and Jonsered saws

346xp

The 238 was a great saw the new ring is #503289003 8)

sablatnic

I guess MaineLogger is right about putting a 242 cylinder on the 238. I haven't done it, but the 238 was developed into the 242. I believe it is closed port, as is the 133 and the 242. The 42 is an open port farmer version.

BubbasDad

Quote from: Maine logger88 on April 25, 2015, 05:07:23 PM
I believe that I read somewhere that you can put a 242xp p@c on a 238

How much difference would the 242xp mod make? I also have a 445, would it keep up with that? Picked that up cheap too... $75.ºº  and that little guy empressed me. Actually traded a dog kennel and all i had to do with it was pop carb adjuster caps off and tune it a bit. 3 yrs later and have only bought a couple chains. And lots of ethenal free gas! Bar oil. And it starts on 3rd pull every time!
John

celliott

The 242xp is one of husqvarna's best of the 200 series. High speed, lightweight good power. It is spec'd to turn 15,500 rpm!
If you can find a 242xp piston/cylinder then go for it but might be tough to find.
Chris Elliott

Clark 666C cable skidder
265rx clearing saw

BubbasDad

What is difference in 242 &142? I have a 142 i picked up couple weeks ago. Gettin ready to carb adjuster screws out to cut a slot in them to make it easier to tune.
John

sablatnic

Everything but maybe the spark plug. The 242 was one of the best smaller professional saws Husqvarna ever made. The 142 is a Poulan hobby saw from after Husqvarna took over.

BubbasDad

Thanks again, Sablantic. Was trying to figure it out without actually pulling apart to look. So i will sell off 142. I know somebody that is bugging me to sell them a saw. Maybe that will shut them up!
John

Maine logger88

Maybe chainsawr has a 242 cyl? I've seen aftermarket p@c for a 242xp on eBay hard to say on there quality. I put a huzl big bore kit on my old worn out 2171 just for fun it seems to work ok. But I don't know how it would hold up to being run hard cause I use my new saws for everyday use
79 TJ 225 81 JD 540B Husky and Jonsered saws

BubbasDad

Thanks mainlogger.
Kinda tapped at moment. Will have to see what is out there in a couple weeks. I am a contractor and winter was kinda hard on us up this way. Only work i got was a few frozen, busted pipes. Work is just picking up good and i have a few too many projects going at one time.
John

BubbasDad

There are a couple tecomec 242xp cylinders on ebay for about 125. Are they any good? For china knock offs?
John

346xp

Tecomec  are not bad just make sure the port edges are smooth so ya  don't catch a ring

BubbasDad

What besides the p&c am i going to have to mod to make this 238 -242xp?
John

Thank You Sponsors!