iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

pets

Started by Den Socling, April 23, 2015, 07:06:43 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Den Socling

Pets can be a lot of fun. We have a parakeet and a dog. I'm sitting on a stool at a kitchen island eating a couple minutes ago. The parakeet came out of her cage and landed on my head. The dog is laying at my feet. She perfectly mimics the whistle I make to call the dog. She starts whistling and Kona, the dog, is on his feet. I'm telling the dog to get down and telling the bird to shut up. Neither listened to me.  :D

sawguy21

:D That is funny. We have two toy poodles and a cat with an attitude. They give us a lot of pleasure most of the time but some days it's worse than dealing with kids.
old age and treachery will always overcome youth and enthusiasm

Den Socling

We have a shop cat named Bill. One summer I was sitting at my desk and the doors were open. I heard a meow at my feet. He has been in the shop ever since. I have no idea where he came from. He must be at least 10 years old. Kona spends the day with me in the shop. If Kona looks at Bill cockeyed, Bill growls menacingly. That doesn't stop Kona from getting on top of him and pinning him to the floor. Bill makes a lot of noise but there is never any biting or scratching. When I move through the shop, Bill and Kona follow and often play a game of chase me! It's amusing.  :D

goose63

Sounds like my place 3 dogs and a cat worse than kids some times but wont be with out them
goose
if you find your self in a deep hole stop digging
saw logs all day what do you get lots of lumber and a day older
thank you to all the vets

WV Sawmiller

Den,

Many years ago I worked a project in Saudi Arabia and our boss had an outdoor cage with a grey parrot someone had given him. The parrot would bark like a big dog at people walking on front of their house and scare the heck out of them. To make matters worse after scaring the people he would then laugh loudly at them. it was a hoot to sit back and watch.

The vet in my wife's town on N. Alabama was naturally an Auburn grad and fan. He had a cockatoo and a bunch of the guys "buddies" sneaked in and taught the bird to yell "Roll Tide." Fortunately the vet thought it was funny and did not take it out on the bird.
Howard Green
WM LT35HDG25(2015) , 2011 4WD F150 Ford Lariat PU, Kawasaki 650 ATV, Stihl 440 Chainsaw, homemade logging arch (w/custom built rear log dolly), JD 750 w/4' wide Bushhog brand FEL

Dad always said "You can shear a sheep a bunch of times but you can only skin him once

Den Socling

:D A barking bird. Now that's funny. The other day I read a news story about a house fire. Firemen heard "yells" of "help, fire". They discovered that it was two parrots yelling for help. No humans in the house.
Today I saw a video of a crow. Researchers put food in a box that the crow couldn't reach. Then they put a long piece of wood in a box with bars. The crow couldn't reach it. Then they made a short stick available to the crow. That bird used the short stick to pull out the long stick. Then it used the long stick to pull out food. It was amazing!

WV Sawmiller

Burglar went into a house he thought was empty. In the living room a voice from the dark said "Jesus is watching you." He looked and could not see anyone so resumed his search for valuables. The voice repeated "Jesus is watching you." The burglar looked and saw a parrot on a perch and asked "Did you say that?" Bird replied "Yep, Jesus is watching you." Burglar asked "What's your name?" Parrot replied "Lucifer". The burglar asked "What kind of family names a parrot Lucifer?" Parrot replied "The same kind who name a Rottweiler Jesus."
Howard Green
WM LT35HDG25(2015) , 2011 4WD F150 Ford Lariat PU, Kawasaki 650 ATV, Stihl 440 Chainsaw, homemade logging arch (w/custom built rear log dolly), JD 750 w/4' wide Bushhog brand FEL

Dad always said "You can shear a sheep a bunch of times but you can only skin him once

Den Socling

:D  :D  :D That's a great one!

coxy

Quote from: Den Socling on April 23, 2015, 10:02:13 PM
:D  :D  :D That's a great one!
we have 2 sister beagles they are vary protective with my youngest daughter  and my yard looks like a bunch of bombs went off in it the one dog will walk around then stop turn her head put it  to the ground then jump up like a fox  with all 4 legs together then start digging up comes a mole in her mouth shakes it till its dead then looks for another  they both chase birds mostly robins the one every once in awhile will get one in flight  its funny to watch   I cant use the one to hunt with cause she will run faster than the rabbit and grab it and rip it to pieces

WV Sawmiller

Coxy,

I had a beagle with opposite traits. He was so slow I am convinced he never saw a live rabbit. He would walk on a rabbit track and howl every step of the way. After a couple hours he'd take a break (we used to say he stuck up a stick where he left off) and go get a snack and take a break then return later in the day. One day I had been listening to him and spotted a rabbit running from one brier patch to another with my dog far behind. I went in the house, got my gun and a couple shells and went to the brier patch and kicked him up and shot the rabbit. I stood in the same spot watching to see what would happen. It took my old dog 45 minutes to trail up the dead rabbit. When he did he actually bumped into it, yelped and jumped back like he was snakebit. He circled the rabbit a few times then grabbed it. I went down and pried his jaws free and took the rabbit, cleaned and we later ate it. I did give him the head which he carried around the yard for several weeks. He would sit with the head between his paws while a look of obvious accomplishment and pride in himself. I am sure in his mind he was thinking "It took me 3 years but I finally wore him out!"
Howard Green

Den Socling

Back to our strange parakeet, Sweetie. Last night, Patti and I sat down to eat. After a couple minutes, Sweetie came flying in and lands on Patti's head. She pulled Patti's hair then flew to me where she pulled my hair. She kept flying back and forth pulling hair. Then she leaned over Patti forehead and pinched her eyebrow. Patti yells "That's enough. Get in your cage". Now this is hard to believe but she flew to her cage. Patti closed the door and told her she was in time out.  :D
Today I was eating lunch. She sat on my head whistling, burbling, singing and giving raspberries.  :D
Tonight at dinner, she did the same thing with our hair. Patti said she wanted attention. When you're chewing, it's hard to whistle. Then she tried to land on Kona, the dog. We had to clear the kitchen of pets.  :D

WmFritz

Howard, that's a great story!

Coxy, you need to start 'rent-a-hound'. I've waged war on moles in my lawn for the last 10 years. Prior to that, we had a Lab that searched and destroyed them.

Now we have a Standard Poodle pup that is great standing guard on above ground critters. She hates squirrels, chipmunks, mice... she even ran down and nearly caught a coyote the same size as her last year. Not so good below ground though.

~Bill

2012 Homebuilt Bandmill
1959 Detroit built Ferguson TO35

POSTON WIDEHEAD

The older I get I wish my body could Re-Gen.

WmFritz

Quote from: POSTONLT40HD on April 29, 2015, 09:46:28 PM
Good Girl!  :)

Good Eatin!  ;D

When she first ran up to me carrying that guy, I thought she found a dead squirrel. When I got her to drop it, I noticed it was still warm.  Then I noticed the blood on her snout and the two chunks of skin missing when I wiped it off.
~Bill

2012 Homebuilt Bandmill
1959 Detroit built Ferguson TO35

Den Socling

I went into the living room a couple minutes ago. Patti was standing there with a glass of water she had intended to drink. Sweetie was on the glass taking a bath!  :D She has no manners!

drobertson

Sounds like lots of laughs going on in your kitchen! :D  We inherited our sons rescue cat, a graduation gift from a friend ;D
anyway there was no way to get the cat to California, so now she resides here with us, and as it turns out her and Missy have become quite the pair, just crazy behavior, lots of chase and hide and seek going on.  Myla the cat has now become brave enough to venture out and really likes it, but only at night, quite the prowler she is, last night Missy had guard over the yard and timber edge, while Myla was patrolling the garage area, we have a pair of misfits that brings laughs for sure. As mentioned, could not see not having pets of one degree or other.   
only have a few chain saws I'm not suppose to use, but will at times, one dog Dolly, pretty good dog, just not sure what for yet,  working on getting the gardening back in order, and kinda thinking on maybe a small bbq bizz,  thinking about it,

pygmy

I have a dog, he's a mix of many different breeds but we think he's mainly a cross between a spitz and a labrador! He is my whole world, and he makes me laugh so much. Sometimes he just sits next to me for a cuddle, and he will just burp all of a sudden. Sorry, I know it's a bit gross, but it just cracks me up so much, especially because afterwards he always looks at me in this guilty sort of way, like he perfectly knows it's not very good mannered ;) what can I say, pets just make your life more fun! And reading all of your stories, all of guys seem to agree with this :D

repmma

Early on I put my foot down, no dogs on the furniture or bed.  That lasted about a day.  Now these two and the girl friend run the show. 
Thomas 8020, Timberjack 225C, Ford 5030 with Norse 450 winch, stihl saws and 142 acres to manage.

pygmy

My friend has a viszla too, I love them so much! Such a sweet, kind breed. If they didn't need as much running and sports as they do, that would have been my preferred breed. (also, they are quite expensive, which does not help when you are a student).

repmma

You got it right, two high energy Vizsla's!  I didn't know about the breed until I met my girlfriend.  I've had a  mix of dogs in the past but these two take the cake.
Thomas 8020, Timberjack 225C, Ford 5030 with Norse 450 winch, stihl saws and 142 acres to manage.

Den Socling

pygmy

They are just so cute! Also love their grey counterparts, Weimeraners. If only they didn't all need so much exercise! No city dogs I'm afraid :(

repmma

Anyone interested in them really need to know theit specific traits and demands.  Vizsla's are dogs that require alot of attention and contact with their owners, they are called the velcro dog for good reason.  It would be very hard to keep them well exercised and entertained In an apartment or small yard.

I will admit I've learned alot about dog training from my gf who has done it for quite awhile both with hers and as part of classes at a kennel she worked at.  Its impressive what she can get these two to do in little time, by clicker training.  Still doesn't mean they get stubborn headed sometimes!

They are generally considered tied with the whippet for 2nd fastest dog breed.  Real REAL thin coats, I hate to admit it but yes they have jackets for colder weather...  and get blankets when sleeping on the couch... yep big babys and I allow it.

tule peak timber

persistence personified - never let up , never let down

sandhills

My wife had one years ago when she was living with/caring for a quadrapeligic? and said that's by far the smartest and best dog she's ever had.  The Vizsla  would walk beside his motorized wheelchair when he went out and never leave his side unless he got into trouble (got stuck on RR tracks once, but then a train may go by once a week at best), then she'd run home and get my wife.  She still misses her.
My dog Banjo wouldn't let the Mrs. get out of her pickup the other day, there was a pretty good sized bull snake coiled up and making it's rattling noise as best it could right beside her, this caused to her to look down and see it and freak out, she is absolutely mortified of snakes to the point of having panic attacks, the phone calls that ensued were kind of funny for me, not so much for her but all ended well.  I convinced her we don't have rattlesnakes here and park by the garage and walk to the house from there  :)

Thank You Sponsors!