iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Does anyone here spray Anchorseal?

Started by Brad_bb, April 23, 2015, 07:31:06 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Brad_bb

I'm going to have a load of logs to end seal on Monday.  This past year I've just had a couple that I've done with a brush.  The brush method seems fairly in-efficient due to dripage and trying to get it in the nooks and crannies.  Does anyone use a portable sprayer that works well?  UC coatings that makes Anchorseal sells some spray options- an electric, a gas/honda engine powered, and a backpack sprayer.  I'd love the Honda engine option, but am afraid to ask the cost.  I wondered how well the back pack version would work and how would you clean a hand sprayer to prevent anchorseal from drying in the hose/pump/nozzle if it sets for a long period?  Can you run a solvent through a sprayer without hurting it?
Here is a link to UC Coatings spray options.
http://www.uccoatings.com/Products/SprayingEquipment
Anything someone can design, I can sure figure out how to fix!
If I say it\\\\\\\'s going to take so long, multiply that by at least 3!

Magicman

I would think that a Wagner Airless Paint Sprayer such as this would work.  (excuse the Wally Mart link, it was just the first one that I found with several models shown)
Knothole Sawmill, LLC     '98 Wood-Mizer LT40SuperHydraulic   WM Million BF Club Member   WM Pro Sawyer Network

It's Weird being the Same Age as Old People

Never allow your "need" to make money to exceed your "desire" to provide quality service.....The Magicman

red

We had used a Backpack type sprayer.  . But I liked using a Big Brush and it can get messy
Honor the Fallen Thank the Living

Chuck White

What about using a simple "pump-up" garden sprayer?

No generator required and no additional engine!
~Chuck~  Cooks Cat Claw sharpener and single tooth setter.  2018 Chevy Silverado and 2021 Subaru Ascent.
With basic mechanical skills and the ability to read you can maintain a Woodmizer  LT40!

Brad_bb

Have you done that Chuck? I want to know if it works before run it through there and possibly clog it up.

MM, I believe the Wagner is electric.  I'm looking for an option that is more portable, so I can take it where I don't have access to electric. 

johnnyllama

Brad,
  I haven't tried it with anchorseal but have used cheap garden sprayers to spray solid colored stain with no issues. For around $30 you don't have much of an investment. Worse case, you might have to enlarge the orifice a bit but most of the ones I used were pretty large anyway, you just unthread them to open up passageway a bit more. I don't think cleaning would be that big an issue. I can't remember if anchorseal cleans up with paint thinner or if you need something stronger.
Turner Bandmill, NH35 tractor, Stihl & Husky misc. saws, Mini-excavator, 24" planer, 8" jointer, tilting shaper, lathe, sliding table saw, widebelt sander, Beautiful hardworking wife, 2 dogs, 2 cats, 23 llamas in training to pull logs!!!

Brad_bb

Yeah, I've got some anchorseal in a mixing cup that dried out.  I need to experiment and see if anything will re-liquefy it.  Hot water? Denatured Alchohol?

Chuck White

Brad; I've never used Anchorseal.

I was just thinking that since you mentioned spraying it, why not use a simple sprayer instead of a powered one.
~Chuck~  Cooks Cat Claw sharpener and single tooth setter.  2018 Chevy Silverado and 2021 Subaru Ascent.
With basic mechanical skills and the ability to read you can maintain a Woodmizer  LT40!

BBTom

The backpack sprayers create more pressure than the normal garden sprayer.

I have used the backpack sprayer for Anchorseal,  It works pretty good if you get the right tip for it.  I liked using a teejet nozzle (don't remember what size) for a flat fan spray.
2001 LT40HDD42RA with lubemizer, debarker, laser, accuset. Retired, but building a new shop and home in Missouri.

beenthere

I'd be willing to bet that hand brushing will win out in the end... spraying will be much more of a mess, more time consuming with the cleaning, unclogging, over-spray, dripping, etc than brushing.
But will be interested in your outcome.
south central Wisconsin
It may be that my sole purpose in life is simply to serve as a warning to others

Jim_Rogers

Quote from: beenthere on April 23, 2015, 10:18:43 AM
I'd be willing to bet that hand brushing will win out in the end... spraying will be much more of a mess, more time consuming with the cleaning, unclogging, over-spray, dripping, etc than brushing.
But will be interested in your outcome.

X2 I've tried the spray system and when back to the brush. It didn't work for me.
Jim Rogers

Whatever you do, have fun doing it!
Woodmizer 1994 LT30HDG24 with 6' Bed Extension

scsmith42

I have the backpack spray system from US Coatings and love it. Much faster to apply AS to multiple logs than brushing, a much more uniform coat and it is faster overall.

I leave the AS in the sprayer all the time and just top it off as needed.

My only maintenance item is to remove the brass nozzle if it has been setting for a while and hold it under a hot water faucet to clean the nozzle.

I use winter formula year round and it works well.

Peterson 10" WPF with 65' of track
Smith - Gallagher dedicated slabber
Tom's 3638D Baker band mill
and a mix of log handling heavy equipment.

Brad_bb

Good information.  Thank you all for your responses!  Taking Jim's experience into account, I think I'm going to try spraying on this load of logs I have coming in.  I think it will be much faster and more consistent.  I understand that I should probably clean up the sprayer mechanism after.  Hot water and dishsoap probably.

Tom the Sawyer

AnchorSeal cleans up with soap and water, much easier than latex paint.  Each of the spraying options on their webpage states, "Regular cleaning is recommended, but not required."
07 TK B-20, Custom log arch, 20' trailer w/log loading arch, F350 flatbed dually dump.  Piggy-back forklift.  LS tractor w/FEL, Bobcat S250 w/grapple, Stihl 025C 16", Husky 372XP 24/30" bars, Grizzly 20" planer, Nyle L200M DH kiln.
If you call and my wife says, "He's sawin logs", I ain't snoring.

Thank You Sponsors!