iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

The Bums Rush.....

Started by FarmingSawyer, April 22, 2015, 07:29:29 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

FarmingSawyer

Not sure if I should post this here or in Sawmilling.....

Got a phone call from an irate new landlord on Sunday...... He's just taken over the property from his mother--and where is my 45day notice, I might add?
Under the old terms of my renting this farm I can exchange work and materials for rent. I have been re-siding the back of the barn and house with some nice cedar clapboards I've been milling. Win/win for me!

I told the mother that I ran a sawmill..... I asked my insurance agent when I got all my papers together if there was anything I needed to do about the rental situation, re parking my mill here, running it here occasionally etc..... Thought I had it all sorted out. Until Sunday that is.

I presented my landlord/lady with my bill for working off rent. It included a formal invoice, per agreement, for the sawmill goods and purchased materials, and a statement for my time. Within an hour my landlord, who lives across the country, was on the phone...."Why shouldn't I kick you out right now...!!!!!?"
Several times....

Wha? He felt I was lying and deceiving them about the sawmill being here. About formally billing them for the materials, about the stacks of logs he saw on my website--1/2 of which are from mobile jobs and the other 1/2 logs I had delivered here--he was sure I was logging the property--which has no woodland on it.....

It took a long time to cool him down, but I got him to allow me to keep the wood in the barn,and the sawmill here if I include him on my liability policy..... That's okay. Until the next time.

Now I am in full panic mode. I want to expand my operation. I don't need a paranoid schizophrenic--or what ever ism he is--to be managing my rental property..... So I am off in search of a new situation without a dime in my pocket, knowing the growing season is at hand, I need to get in firewood, have logs delivered to the mill to fill orders and get hay for next year for the critters. None of which I feel comfortable with doing here, if he's going to phone up--or worse, show up--here and threaten me and tell me I'm out.

Sure I have rights as a tenant, and I can be stubborn and nasty and hire a lawyer, etc.... but that's not really who I am. I just want to live with my animals, grow my crops, mill wood for folks and hang out with my buds. Peacefully....and build some cool buildings like a sauna......

So Friday I am going to look at 5 properties which might be interesting. Semi-affordable with very creative financing. I've had offers to part out my horses here, put my stuff there, rent so-and-so's house while they're away...But I'm done with temporary. I don't want to move and move again..... I have tools, and lumber of my own, and the little bit of stuff I got to keep after being cleaned out from the divorce..... I just want my hut in the woods with a few sheep and my drafts to log with.....

End of rant...
Thomas 8020, Stihl 039, Stihl 036, Homelite Super EZ, Case 385, Team of Drafts

clww

I would be looking to relocate, too. ;)
ASAP!
Many Stihl Saws-16"-60"
"Go Ask The Other Master Chief"
18-Wheeler Driver

Den Socling

That was my first thought, too. Get a place you can call your own if you possibly can.

fishpharmer

Farmingsawyer, I hate to hear about such a seemingly bad turn of events.   Things will get better.
Built my own band mill with the help of Forestry Forum. 
Lucas 618 with 50" slabber
WoodmizerLT-40 Super Hydraulic
Deere 5065E mfwd w/553 loader

The reason a lot of people do not recognize opportunity is because it usually goes around wearing overalls looking like hard work. --Tom A. Edison

WV Sawmiller

Sorry to hear about your dilemma. I heartily endorse your proposal to move. Sounds like the new landlord has a short fuse and I would not live under the threat of expulsion. Unless he called me back unexpectedly and apologized for his behavior I'd be looking elsewhere. Most landlords are thrilled to have a low maintenance tenant who likes, maintains and improves the property. It is a win-win situation. Good luck on your search.
Howard Green
WM LT35HDG25(2015) , 2011 4WD F150 Ford Lariat PU, Kawasaki 650 ATV, Stihl 440 Chainsaw, homemade logging arch (w/custom built rear log dolly), JD 750 w/4' wide Bushhog brand FEL

Dad always said "You can shear a sheep a bunch of times but you can only skin him once

r.man

If you are by yourself you just need to find a property with room for your animals and a cave to live in. Then you can build a cabin with your own lumber.
Life is too short or my list is too long, not sure which. Dec 2014

kensfarm

Find some land w/out a house.. build your own hut.   Hope it works out.. get a realitor working/searching for you.. they may find something you don't come across. 

FarmingSawyer

Been searching for raw land. There are 5 strong possibilities. I have enough lumber at the moment to build a small shelter. I'm hoping business picks up and then I can afford a shipping container or two for storage and a workshop.

I own a woodlot. And it has a yurt on it. But it is far away from where my business activity is now, and right across the street from the ex's. That is an extreme temporary very last resort. It is a very wet property and not at all suited for the sawmill.

I had an inkling that something like this was going to happen sooner or later. I've been looking for land for a while. I was also resolved to not spend another winter in this big, uninsulated house. I was hoping to have most of the summer here to look for land and develop a plan. Now it is in high gear. I've got no money, so things are really going to have to work out. And while I've been researching going off-grid for a long time and already live very bare bones, I'm not quite sure I'm up for the reality of an off-grid wonderland just yet. Especially on a shoestring.

We'll find out soon enough. I learned last night that the last time the landlord came here he forced/coerced the previous tenant to let him sleep on the couch because it was his house.....even though it technically wasn't..... Ummmmmm. NO! ain't gonna happen with me, my friend. I don't care that I have 2 empty bedrooms and a couch. I wouldn't even let him stay in the barn.....

Woodhauler

Don't take this wrong, but the first thing i would do is get a job and put some money away. I have seen many of these deals you have going and it always ends up bad for the homeowner. Get a real job and a steady paycheck, then saw nights and weekends to make some extra money. Living alone you should be able to put half of your paycheck aside and after a year you got a down payment on some land !
2013 westernstar tri-axle with 2015 rotobec elite 80 loader!Sold 2000 westernstar tractor with stairs air ride trailer and a 1985 huskybrute 175 T/L loader!

beenthere

south central Wisconsin
It may be that my sole purpose in life is simply to serve as a warning to others

pabst79

Dealing with a "hot head" landlord will only cause you problems down the road, I've seen so many cases where a handshake agreement turns into Jim suing Joe and Joe suing Jim and well everyone know's how that works out. If all else fails and you gotta get outa Dodge quick, just rent a storage unit for your stuff and try and find a month to month rent for the time being. Although if you have animals that can be difficult. If you have any assets to sell for seed money, do so, you can always replace stuff when your in a better situation. Good Luck  :)
Not sure which came first, but I have chickens and eggs.

Ljohnsaw

Not trying to stir the pot, but...  In your agreement with the mother, was there a limit on how much rent could be offset by work/improvements?  The guy does sound like a hothead, but you could be threatening his cash income.

But I agree with the others - time to move on if at all possible.  When I went to go off-grid, I ran into a lot of trouble with the county - until a helpful inspector pointed me in the right direction.  Out here it was Title 24 (all the insulation, windows, heating calcs, had to hook up to the local power company, etc) and Title 25.  Under 25, NO energy calcs, not even a heat source need be specified.  The only crazy thing is I have a well producing 60 gpm but I need a 1.28 gpf toilet (can't even be a 1.6) and low flow shower head.  Go figure.
John Sawicky

Just North-East of Sacramento...

SkyTrak 9038, Ford 545D FEL, Davis Little Monster backhoe, Case 16+4 Trencher, Home Built 42" capacity/36" cut Bandmill up to 54' long - using it all to build a timber frame cabin.

FarmingSawyer

Quote from: Woodhauler on April 23, 2015, 08:48:53 AM
Don't take this wrong, but the first thing i would do is get a job and put some money away. I have seen many of these deals you have going and it always ends up bad for the homeowner. Get a real job and a steady paycheck, then saw nights and weekends to make some extra money. Living alone you should be able to put half of your paycheck aside and after a year you got a down payment on some land !

I've been looking for steady work all winter! I'm an experienced and talented carpenter. Been a contractor, a caterer, ran a successful bakery. No one was hiring, and not at what I needed to live and pay bills. I even applied at Home Depot and they didn't hire me....... too many other applicants. 

I've been bringing in an income logging all winter and have 20MBF of logs I own and need to put somewhere. I've been earning more logging, selling fence posts and milling lumber than I would have been making earning the $9-$12/hr I've been offered to work full time at menial jobs. Most of the construction jobs around here that I was up for got stalled out due to the economy or the weather this winter.

I'm hopefully in line for starting a house project for a milling customer later in May......

With the added cost of keeping the pipes from freezing with heat tapes here during the winter and keeping a milk house heater going in the laundry room to keep the washing machine from freezing, I pay the equivalent of $1000/month for a house that isn't worth $600......  I rented this place so that if my kids needed a place to stay there would be room for the ones remaining at home. It also came with land for my livestock. Getting rid of my horses isn't an option. I own one for the rest of his life, per a dying wish.....I can down size now though because the 2 girls at home can live with their older sister now if needed.

I make a decent portion of my yearly income from farming. Growing veg. Raising animals. Starting seedlings. I've got a living room full of vegetable starts right now. But I can't take the risk of putting them in the ground here if I get thrown out on the whim of the landlord.

snowstorm

a really good carpenter shouldnt have to much trouble finding a job. if you are real good at finish work try some of the boat builders. johns bay boat was looking for someone a while back. they only build in wood. try front street shipyard or lyman morse or rockport marine

Woodhauler

Quote from: FarmingSawyer on April 24, 2015, 05:09:42 AM

I've been looking for steady work all winter! I'm an experienced and talented carpenter. Been a contractor, a caterer, ran a successful bakery. No one was hiring, and not at what I needed to live and pay bills. I even applied at Home Depot and they didn't hire me....... too many other applicants. 

I've been bringing in an income logging all winter and have 20MBF of logs I own and need to put somewhere. I've been earning more logging, selling fence posts and milling lumber than I would have been making earning the $9-$12/hr I've been offered to work full time at menial jobs. Most of the construction jobs around here that I was up for got stalled out due to the economy or the weather this winter.

I'm hopefully in line for starting a house project for a milling customer later in May......

With the added cost of keeping the pipes from freezing with heat tapes here during the winter and keeping a milk house heater going in the laundry room to keep the washing machine from freezing, I pay the equivalent of $1000/month for a house that isn't worth $600......  I rented this place so that if my kids needed a place to stay there would be room for the ones remaining at home. It also came with land for my livestock. Getting rid of my horses isn't an option. I own one for the rest of his life, per a dying wish.....I can down size now though because the 2 girls at home can live with their older sister now if needed.

I make a decent portion of my yearly income from farming. Growing veg. Raising animals. Starting seedlings. I've got a living room full of vegetable starts right now. But I can't take the risk of putting them in the ground here if I get thrown out on the whim of the landlord.
So being self employed you must pay big taxes like the rest of us. Self employment tax is a big killer for us self employed people. My ss tax was alot this year! Paying taxes at the end of the year hurts us guys who work for themselves!
2013 westernstar tri-axle with 2015 rotobec elite 80 loader!Sold 2000 westernstar tractor with stairs air ride trailer and a 1985 huskybrute 175 T/L loader!

Papa1stuff

Being self employed for years ,I found it easyer to pay the SS tax monthly!
1987 PB Grader with forks added to bucket
2--2008 455 Rancher Husky
WM CBN Sharpener & Setter

FarmingSawyer

Quote from: Woodhauler on April 24, 2015, 07:40:42 AM
Quote from: FarmingSawyer on April 24, 2015, 05:09:42 AM

So being self employed you must pay big taxes like the rest of us. Self employment tax is a big killer for us self employed people. My ss tax was alot this year! Paying taxes at the end of the year hurts us guys who work for themselves!

I incorporated a long time ago. As president of my corp I don't have to pay myself a wage, or unemployment or L&I..... Everything passes through the corp. So when I work for a W-2 I offset the income with any losses or gain (and Visa Versa) with the corp. All other work I count as consulting or actual sawmill work or whatever. At times when I can, I show a modest income, but as an employee of the corporation.
It's a major PITA to hold meetings with myself, and document them. And it costs perhaps $1000/year to do the corp taxes and filings and licenses, etc.....but no SE tax. By working off the rent on the farm and "selling" them sawmill goods it all negates the rent I pay cash for.... it's a complex matrix of stuff and I have to spend time to keep it in tune with an accountant, but it allows me to be very flexible with my income stream and not have to have many business licenses, etc.

In a good year it can save huge. In a moderate to poor year it keeps me afloat.

Thank You Sponsors!