iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Help finding a new GPS device

Started by TheIntern, April 22, 2015, 11:22:19 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

TheIntern

Hi everyone, new to the forum here. I'm a relatively new forester (1 year experience) and I've been tasked with finding a new GPS device for our crew. If some of you veterans could help steer me in the right direction, I would greatly appreciate any help.
Here are my outlined requirements: handheld, rugged, must be able to get submeter to at worst 3 meter accuracy post-processed with dense canopy cover , must have easy to use data dictionary capabilities, must be easily compatible with ArcGIS. My budget is not particularly defined, but we likely cannot afford surveyor grade devices.

I've been looking at the Juniper Systems Archer 2 (haven't singled out one of the GEO models yet) and it seems to be what I am looking for.
Again, any help would be much appreciated!

curdog

I use the trimble Juno and it works really well.  I used trimble geoxm for a few years and had trouble with satellite reception in a lot of places. But the Juno picks up everywhere I've tried it, and usually able to get 6-8 satellites. But as far as the technical details on the unit, I'm not sure.  I turn it on, measure, correct the data and move it into arcmap.

Clark

I honestly don't know what unit would work best for you. Very few of us on the forestry forum need that sort of accuracy.

I have been using Trimble Juno units lately. They are not new (3-6 years old?) and their ability to pick up satellites quickly is entirely underwhelming. Eventually it gets reception but I find myself looking for a log to sit on more often than I like.

Clark
SAF Certified Forester

clearcut

Some folks that I work with in use the Flint GPS. It meets all of your criteria and they are happy with it.

I just analyze the data and that it spits out and the locations appear to be spot on.

Carbon sequestered upon request.

SwampDonkey

I've used a Trimble GeoXM here for years and map out literally hundreds of acres a year of thinning in thick growth and much of it along the edge of taller tree growth on perimeters. There are times you have to wait for a reasonable time, and there are a few days that the geometry of satellites are poor to begin with. The company has planning software for this, but I never use it, I just go to work. Even so, I've never had to pack it in and leave a site without getting work done. I get all the corrections free off a government base station, and if need be from the forest company base. That part is pretty simple, it's done over the internet with a correction wizard. I also get the provincial areal photos as MrSID files which are very accurate images as far as where your standing and what shows on the screen. I use Arcpad with it and the files are shapefiles that the forest companies all require here. They are corrected from base station data and a tract log collected by an add-on to ArcPAd (GPS Correct). It's just a wizard in the post processing software. The forest companies here will not except collected Garmin data. Editing of data dictionaries isn't any trouble. Myself, I use Maptitude GIS to view and edit shapefiles, make maps and even overlays Google Earth and vise versa. It's cheaper software, have used it for years. Plus all kinds of free data with it. ArcGIS seems to be the forest industry standard, mainly because they have been around the longest I think. Not that they can do anything other GIS's can't do.
"No amount of belief makes something a fact." James Randi

1 Thessalonians 5:21

2020 Polaris Ranger 570 to forward firewood, Husqvarna 555 XT Pro, Stihl FS560 clearing saw and continuously thinning my ground, on the side. Grow them trees. (((o)))

dgdrls

Welcome TheIntern,
I suggest you look at Corvallis Micro Technologies  http://www.cmtinc.com/index.html
From a field standpoint, I know the survey data collector they build
is among the toughest, best built units available.

Best DGDrls

longtime lurker

Look for certain features...
Waterproof
Shockproof
Manufacturer backup
Bluetooth.... Cause y'know, in the field it's an easy data dump between devices.

We run Garmin gpsmap 64s.
The quickest way to make a million dollars with a sawmill is to start with two million.

Thank You Sponsors!