iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Raised Bed Gardening.

Started by Weekend_Sawyer, April 22, 2015, 10:53:03 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Weekend_Sawyer

Years ago I used to keep a large area under cultivation. I had 1/4 acre fenced in againsed the deer and used half of it one year and the other half the next. Last year I only planted herbs as I just didn't have time to care for a garden. This year Diane and I are trying something new. We are putting in raised bed gardens. We will plant less and be able to care for it more. One great advantage is we will not have to bend over as much.

Starting out. I love a lady who doesn't mind getting dirty!

Here's the first 2 almost completed.

I hope to be able to make 2 more before Mother's Day. That has always been our planting day.
Our goal this year are greens (salad makings) and beans.

Jon
Imagine, Me a Tree Farmer.
Jon, Appalachian American Wannabe.

gww

My wife loves the raised garden.  Ours are only about 10 inches tall but I have a bunch of them.  I have a flat garden portion also.  I can't see how it is much easier but she loves them.  They were all filled compleetly with cow, horse, goat and chicken poo, so maby thats why she likes them.  I don't like anything I can't use a tiller on.

My opinion is with raised gardining, you need a good way to water cause it will lose more water then planting in the ground. 

To my not understanding the draw of raised bed gardening, Just keep in mind that my wife likes them and is about 20 times better at gardening then I am.

Good luck
gww

DeerMeadowFarm

My brother-in-law had a decent idea last year. He took 2 old fridges, took the doors off, drilled the holes in the back-side, filled the openings with dirt and "camoed" the outside of it. He had the best garden ever. This year he has 3 or 4 more of them ready to go for this year. They're free and really the perfect height. If you can get past the "red-neckness" of it all it's really a pretty good idea....

Jeff

My one mistake when I put ours in a few years ago, was to not leave enough distance between them to get the mower through.
Just call me the midget doctor.
Forestry Forum Founder and Chief Cook and Bottle Washer.

Commercial circle sawmill sawyer in a past life for 25yrs.
Ezekiel 22:30

Raider Bill

Quote from: DeerMeadowFarm on April 22, 2015, 02:47:50 PM
My brother-in-law had a decent idea last year. He took 2 old fridges, took the doors off, drilled the holes in the back-side, filled the openings with dirt and "camoed" the outside of it. He had the best garden ever. This year he has 3 or 4 more of them ready to go for this year. They're free and really the perfect height. If you can get past the "red-neckness" of it all it's really a pretty good idea....

@wildbill
Billy, take a look at these!

Wildbill has several he grows in that are table height. Maybe we can get him to post a couple pix?
The First 70 years of childhood is always the hardest.

Den Socling

I built raised beds for Patti. She has a composter into which she tosses kitchen scraps, coffee grounds and some paper, etc. When the mess is good and rotten, she puts it in a bed. She was one of very few around here last year who had an abundance of great tomatoes.

sandhills

Raider Bill I think those would go good with your rental house!  :D

Raider Bill

Quote from: sandhills on April 23, 2015, 10:50:04 AM
Raider Bill I think those would go good with your rental house!  :D

I only store my kayak in the camo house. $600 a year in taxes is all it cost me to not have anyone living across the street! ;)

I do like this refer idea though. Fill the bottom with rocks or bricks the top soil.
The First 70 years of childhood is always the hardest.

fishpharmer

@Raider Bill @wildbill , here's a thread that has pics of wildbill's raised beds.  I like them.

https://forestryforum.com/board/index.php/topic,80910.msg1232346.html#msg1232346

There's a no good old fridge and freezer out back, now I know what to do with them.  I have been avoiding the old toilet for a planter, and revealing my "red neckness." :D
Built my own band mill with the help of Forestry Forum. 
Lucas 618 with 50" slabber
WoodmizerLT-40 Super Hydraulic
Deere 5065E mfwd w/553 loader

The reason a lot of people do not recognize opportunity is because it usually goes around wearing overalls looking like hard work. --Tom A. Edison

Weekend_Sawyer

Quote from: Jeff on April 22, 2015, 03:03:01 PM
My one mistake when I put ours in a few years ago, was to not leave enough distance between them to get the mower through.

Ours are 4' x 10' with 4' in between for just that reason.

trapper

Quote from: Jeff on April 22, 2015, 03:03:01 PM
Landscape fabric and chips = no mowing
stihl ms241cm ms261cm  echo 310 400 suzuki  log arch made by stepson several logrite tools woodmizer LT30

DeerMeadowFarm

Quote from: Raider Bill on April 23, 2015, 10:58:19 AM
I do like this refer idea though. Fill the bottom with rocks or bricks the top soil.

Yes, he did put rocks in the bottom of his. Worked great!

wildbill

Nice things about my beds is no bending over and I don't have to fill the bottom with anything.
Raider Bill's favorite son

Peter Drouin

Ann and I like ours.

A&P saw Mill LLC.
45' of Wood Mizer, cutting since 1987.
License NH softwood grader.

Weekend_Sawyer

Wow! That looks better than some of the farmers markets I go to.

beenthere

Peter
Did you raise the height by adding a timber on the top, or does it just appear that way?
Sure looks like a comfortable way to have a garden.
south central Wisconsin
It may be that my sole purpose in life is simply to serve as a warning to others

pabst79

Peter, That's awesome, and I'm jealous... :)
Not sure which came first, but I have chickens and eggs.

sandhills

fish, "We all got a hillbilly bone down deep in side"  :D :D :D.  I've got an old bath tub I haven't decided yet whether it's going to be a worm bed or a horse tank  ;D

pabst79

Quote from: sandhills on April 24, 2015, 11:38:44 AM
fish, "We all got a hillbilly bone down deep in side"  :D :D :D.  I've got an old bath tub I haven't decided yet whether it's going to be a worm bed or a horse tank  ;D

If its an old clawfoot, you may want to sell it instead of filling it with dirt. Some tub's can fetch 100's if not a 1000 bucks depending on style.  :o
Not sure which came first, but I have chickens and eggs.

sandhills

Nope, not that old, I'd like to find one though  ;).

Den Socling

At our last house long ago, I used rocks on the bottom. The problem was topsoil kept settling down in the cracks and every year I had to refill it.

rjwoelk

We been grown taters  in old bathtubs.  Works ok
Lt15 palax wood processor,3020 JD 7120 CIH 36x72 hay shed for workshop coop tractor with a duetz for power plant

tmarch

I brought in several old stock tanks for the wife, filled the bottom with wood chips and dirt on top, she's happy. :)
Retired to the ranch, saw, and sell solar pumps.

Peter Drouin

Quote from: beenthere on April 24, 2015, 10:21:55 AM
Peter
Did you raise the height by adding a timber on the top, or does it just appear that way?
Sure looks like a comfortable way to have a garden.

Yes, that happens if you fill too much loam there's no room for manure. The bottom ½ is filled with gravel. :D
A&P saw Mill LLC.
45' of Wood Mizer, cutting since 1987.
License NH softwood grader.

gww

This is not up to the standards of you guys and I don't see the bennifit but my wife loves them.

I should not have took the picture through the fence but you guys get the ideal.
Cheers
gww

Thank You Sponsors!