iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Cleaning air filter of Husky 140

Started by brianJ, April 22, 2015, 06:57:20 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

brianJ

Is there ever any circumstance that this or any other saw'sair filter cannot be cleaned with gasoline?

beenthere

What are you thinking you would you gain by using gasoline ??
south central Wisconsin
It may be that my sole purpose in life is simply to serve as a warning to others

brianJ

Decades ago in High School shop I learned that 2 stroke air filters were cleaned with gas.  Not sure wh.  Not sure what the current reccomendation is.   What do you clean with?

beenthere

Don't have a Husky, but my Stihl manual says use soap and water, and do not use a flammable solution.
For whatever that is worth...

My HS shop was also decades ago, and almost before chainsaws were available.  ;D
But had a two stroke Power products engine on a lawn mower that had a filter that was like a metal scrub  pad that gas might be used to clean..
south central Wisconsin
It may be that my sole purpose in life is simply to serve as a warning to others

4x4American

just blow it out with compressed air but dont blow too hard or too close so as to not make the tiny holes bigger
Boy, back in my day..

brianJ

Thanks all.   This 140 has a felt like quarter inch pad for an air filter.  FWIW .  I used compressed air first.    Did not work at all.   Only the surface  had what seemed to be oily wood dust.    Both soap & water or gasoline would cut that.  Either would take time to airdry before reassembly.   I went with gas and not only worked well but also very quick.   I will be cleaning airfilter much more regularlly.

SawTroll

What lind of Husky 140 is this about, one from the early 1970s, or a recent one?

A dishwasher usually works well for cleaning nylon mesh air filters, but I don't know how it works on a felt one.
Information collector.

brianJ

Its an economy model about three years old.  The major use is trimming back woody materials that are encroaching into fields.   Though with practice I now remove most shrubbery like sumac multiflora rose and honeysuckle with a tractor and loader.   Getssome of the roots too.    This past year I have cut more trees and chunked up for firewood.  Great hobby.  I use about 3 liters gas a month year round.

SawTroll

Quote from: brianJ on April 27, 2015, 07:33:19 AM
Its an economy model about three years old.  The major use is trimming back woody materials that are encroaching into fields.   Though with practice I now remove most shrubbery like sumac multiflora rose and honeysuckle with a tractor and loader.   Getssome of the roots too.    This past year I have cut more trees and chunked up for firewood.  Great hobby.  I use about 3 liters gas a month year round.

There is a nylon mesh filter availiable for it, that should be easier to keep clean.

Frame G in the part list: 140 IPL 2012-01
Information collector.

Thank You Sponsors!