iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Lifting Tongs

Started by Brad_bb, April 21, 2015, 09:33:25 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Brad_bb

I'm looking at getting some lifting tongs to use with my rough terrain forklift to help life when I need to.  I've seen the Dixie lifting tongs that are 16", 20" and 25" opening respectively.  If I go with the 25", will I have trouble using them on small logs?  Also, how big of a log will the 25" opening do?  Is it 25" or actually more or less? Thanks.

Anything someone can design, I can sure figure out how to fix!
If I say it\\\\\\\'s going to take so long, multiply that by at least 3!

Kcwoodbutcher

The tongs work best when they are close to capacity, so a 25" tong doesn't grip a ten inch log that good.
My job is to do everything nobody else felt like doing today

fishpharmer

Brad, I have not used that brand of tongs specifically, yet I have moved many logs with larger and smaller tongs.  If you can get the points to stay in the log it will lift it or break it.  I only broke one cheap set of Chinese tongs.  25" is probably as wide as it goes on the large set.  You can lift smaller logs and larger logs, if you get the points to stick in the log.  I often hammered the points in. 

I am sure others can add to or dispute my experiences. :)
Built my own band mill with the help of Forestry Forum. 
Lucas 618 with 50" slabber
WoodmizerLT-40 Super Hydraulic
Deere 5065E mfwd w/553 loader

The reason a lot of people do not recognize opportunity is because it usually goes around wearing overalls looking like hard work. --Tom A. Edison

Brad_bb

Online I don't see but two different brands of lifting tongs - the Dixie and the black ones with flourescent green tips, which look kinda cheap to me.   If anyone has a brand/link to good lifting tongs they recommned, please let me know.

4x4American

By me there's a store called Wallace supply they have some real nice USA made tongs there in the store, I bet they ship, so if you want, pm me and I'll give you their number.
Boy, back in my day..

Magicman

To each their own, but I personally would not consider the ones with "flourescent green tips".
Knothole Sawmill, LLC     '98 Wood-Mizer LT40SuperHydraulic   WM Million BF Club Member   WM Pro Sawyer Network

It's Weird being the Same Age as Old People

Never allow your "need" to make money to exceed your "desire" to provide quality service.....The Magicman

fishpharmer

http://www.logrite.com/store/Item/logtongs

These look great!

Best set I have came from craigslist.  Probably 30" at widest and at least 1" in diameter.  I found some good ones at antique stores too.   
Built my own band mill with the help of Forestry Forum. 
Lucas 618 with 50" slabber
WoodmizerLT-40 Super Hydraulic
Deere 5065E mfwd w/553 loader

The reason a lot of people do not recognize opportunity is because it usually goes around wearing overalls looking like hard work. --Tom A. Edison

Brad_bb

Thanks I didn't realize Logrite had the lifting tongs separate.  And they are Dixie.  And they are a heck of a lot less than the Dixie's Bailey's sells.  I wonder why such a cost difference?

beenthere

X2 what fishpharmer says, and one of our very dedicated sponsors as well.  'nuff said.
south central Wisconsin
It may be that my sole purpose in life is simply to serve as a warning to others

4x4American

So they say that "skidding" tongs are not to be used for overhead lifting....wouldn't you think that skidding tongs need to be as strong as lifting tongs?

When you're skidding, you're dragging the weight of the log, through the earth, hitting rocks, bouncing off trees, etc.  When you're lifting a log, it's only the weight of the log, not much for sudden jerks and whatnot...

Could be wrong, just my thought.  If you had skidding tongs say on a 3 pt hitch where you can lift one end of the log of the ground, that's a different story.  It's hard to drag a log without lifting the front end of it.
Boy, back in my day..

Jim_Rogers

It all has to do with legal issues. Anyone who walks under a log being held up by tongs will not be around long enough to collect from insurance companies.

Jim Rogers

PS. buy lifting tongs not skidding tongs.....
Whatever you do, have fun doing it!
Woodmizer 1994 LT30HDG24 with 6' Bed Extension

beenthere

4x4
I think it has to do with certification tags that go with "lifting" that are not required for skidding. Comes with a price... both can be equally as strong.
south central Wisconsin
It may be that my sole purpose in life is simply to serve as a warning to others

Magicman

The Logrite link that fishpharmer posted is skidding tongs, not lifting tongs.  The rating for each is completely different.

4X4, Lifting tongs are rated higher because if they fail, something falls.  Not so with skidding tongs.
Knothole Sawmill, LLC     '98 Wood-Mizer LT40SuperHydraulic   WM Million BF Club Member   WM Pro Sawyer Network

It's Weird being the Same Age as Old People

Never allow your "need" to make money to exceed your "desire" to provide quality service.....The Magicman

Ljohnsaw

Quote from: fishpharmer on April 21, 2015, 09:56:23 PM
<<snip>>
These look great!

Best set I have came from craigslist.  Probably 30" at widest and at least 1" in diameter.  I found some good ones at antique stores too.

Sort of +1.  I got a great pair off of eBay.  They are super heavy duty, about 1-1/4" diameter rod.  Cost more to ship then I spent on them!
John Sawicky

Just North-East of Sacramento...

SkyTrak 9038, Ford 545D FEL, Davis Little Monster backhoe, Case 16+4 Trencher, Home Built 42" capacity/36" cut Bandmill up to 54' long - using it all to build a timber frame cabin.

4x4American

It's all for politics I get it...I used to have to tag the chains I put together at one construction company I worked at... and for overhead lifting stuff I would take the weakest link's rating, and take a percentage off of that for the safe W.L.L. to tag it for our guys.  It was all for politics.  By the time the chain was made and in service it could proberly do 40% more than it's tagged for.  And also, if it's being used as a choker, you take another 20% off..

Anyone dumb enough to put themselves underneath a log being lifted by tongs doesn't need to be reproducing anyways imo
Boy, back in my day..

stihltoomany

There is more to it than politics. Certified lifting tongs have to pass certain tests and have a large safety margin built in. Quality of the steel comes to mind here.They for sure won't be built in China. Do yourself and the ones around you a favor and buy lift rated tongs if you are going to lift with them. Think of it this way, what is the risk if dragging a log and it comes loose? A little different story when lifting. They cost at least double, but what is the cost of the alternative. The same as safety equipment. Do what you want, just be safe.
Way too many saws, mostly STIHL
Bobcat S650, Bobcat 331 excavator Bobcat A770
and other dirt toys
Looking for hyd bandsaw mill, Timberking used maybe? NOT anymore!
WoodMizer LT40 super

Peter Drouin

I have 2 sizes. I use the small size the most. When you get good with them you can unload a trailer without getting of the John Deere. ;D

A&P saw Mill LLC.
45' of Wood Mizer, cutting since 1987.
License NH softwood grader.

bandmiller2

I have an old pair of Belsaw skidding tongs, probably made by Dixie. I use them for everything but don't let anyone near them when lifting, theirs a far greater chance of pulling off the log than failing. Keep the points sharp, I attached a short chain to mine. Spray them a bright color if their to be used in the woods, easier to find and recognize if someone borrows them. Frank C.
A man armed with common sense is packing a big piece

redbeard

Keep your eye out for older tongs that were made in USA back in the day. The Octagon hooks are the best they used tool steel. I wouldn't be afraid to use Antique tongs just have a good safety plan when lifting anything. If your being checked by OSHA its a whole other Ball game.
Whidbey Woodworks and Custom Milling  2019 Cooks AC 3662T High production band mill and a Hud-son 60 Diesel wide cut bandmill  JD 2240 50hp Tractor with 145 loader IR 1044 all terrain fork lift  Cooks sharp

taylorsmissbeehaven

I have an old set that I use with a boom pole on my tractor. Not so much for lifting, but as stated before its nice to pick up the front end and skid along. I find that I can move some pretty big stuff this way. Be careful and think about what you are doing and I feel you will not be disappointed, Brian
Opportunity is missed by most because it shows up wearing bib overalls and looks like work.

shakebone

Stay away from them black & green tip ones I've broke 2 sets. Of course lifting one end and dragging those Dixie ones work great !
Lt40 super desiel , LT 35 hyd , New Holland ls 180 , Case 75xt ,
So many logs so little time.

dboyt

Lifting tongs for lifting, but a choker cable is better, if you can slip the cable under the log.  Much more reliable, and saves getting on & off the tractor to reset when the tongs let go.
Norwood MX34 Pro portable sawmill, 8N Ford, Lewis Winch

beenthere

south central Wisconsin

sealark37

My old employer was a dealer for Dixie.  We sold tons of their products.  Not one complaint or failure was reported.  If you work at it, you can slightly exceed the 25" rating on a large log.  Smaller logs are not fun with the big tongs.  Never lift a log over something you don't need crushed.   Regards, Clark

Brad_bb

Good advice sealark37 ;)

Thanks all.  I just orded a forklift hook attachement and a Dixie tong.

Thank You Sponsors!