iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Is this poison ivy?

Started by Brad_bb, April 21, 2015, 09:27:46 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Brad_bb

Is this poison ivy (Northern IL)?

Anything someone can design, I can sure figure out how to fix!
If I say it\\\\\\\'s going to take so long, multiply that by at least 3!

POSTON WIDEHEAD

The older I get I wish my body could Re-Gen.

Brad_bb

I've never had poison ivy in my life.  I'm buying some Walnut logs that may have some of this on it.  Any words of advice?

limbwood

samandothers

WDH

Don't touch the vines with you hands (or any other body part). 
Woodmizer LT40HDD35, John Deere 2155, Kubota M5-111, Kubota L2501, Nyle L53 Dehumidification Kiln, and a passion for all things with leafs, twigs, and bark.  hamsleyhardwood.com

WV Sawmiller

If you burn the vines or leaves stay far away from the smoke. it concentrates the toxins and gets it in your eyes and lungs. Burned PI can be worse than the actual vine or leaf.
Howard Green
WM LT35HDG25(2015) , 2011 4WD F150 Ford Lariat PU, Kawasaki 650 ATV, Stihl 440 Chainsaw, homemade logging arch (w/custom built rear log dolly), JD 750 w/4' wide Bushhog brand FEL

Dad always said "You can shear a sheep a bunch of times but you can only skin him once

Magicman

I just remove it with an axe, etc.
Knothole Sawmill, LLC     '98 Wood-Mizer LT40SuperHydraulic   WM Million BF Club Member   WM Pro Sawyer Network

It's Weird being the Same Age as Old People

Never allow your "need" to make money to exceed your "desire" to provide quality service.....The Magicman

Brad_bb

Thanks everyone.  So MM you think I should take it off before milling as opposed to just slabbing with ivy and all?

sandsawmill14

also DO NOT BURN especially while its green until you know if/how bad allergic you are.  :)
hudson 228, lucky knuckleboom,stihl 038 064 441 magnum

fishpharmer

If you saw the vines, the sawdust can be nasty too.
Built my own band mill with the help of Forestry Forum. 
Lucas 618 with 50" slabber
WoodmizerLT-40 Super Hydraulic
Deere 5065E mfwd w/553 loader

The reason a lot of people do not recognize opportunity is because it usually goes around wearing overalls looking like hard work. --Tom A. Edison

Magicman

Quote from: Brad_bb on April 21, 2015, 09:48:14 PM
Thanks everyone.  So MM you think I should take it off before milling as opposed to just slabbing with ivy and all?
Absolutely.
Knothole Sawmill, LLC     '98 Wood-Mizer LT40SuperHydraulic   WM Million BF Club Member   WM Pro Sawyer Network

Never allow your "need" to make money to exceed your "desire" to provide quality service.....The Magicman

POSTON WIDEHEAD

Quote from: Brad_bb on April 21, 2015, 09:48:14 PM

Even if you take it off the log, I would wear a mask before sawing. If you've never had the rash before then you really don't know what your reaction will be. Better safe than sorry.  :)
The older I get I wish my body could Re-Gen.

beenthere

If the leaves are 5 instead of 3, then it is virginia creeper.
I find the vines on the bark of both can be quite similar, although I'd guess this one to be PI too. For sure, until I learned otherwise.

Cutting through it with the chainsaw and getting the chips down your shirt collar will give you an itch.. I've found. ;)
south central Wisconsin
It may be that my sole purpose in life is simply to serve as a warning to others

Magicman

Virginia Creeper and Poison Ivy attach to the tree completely differently.  VC has "legs" and PI has "hair".  The "hair" on the above pictured vine is a dead give away.

4x4American

Beenthere beat me to it.  I have also found that if you cut through the vines with a powersaw you best be careful where you're spitting them chips and oils.  Wash down equipment with dish soap.  Heck if I think I came close to ivy I'll shower with dish soap just to be safe.  The ivy's oils are what causes the rash and itching, and dish soap will dry it out and help.  Tecnu works good too.  I used to not get p.i. rashes, then all of a sudden I get it pretty easily.
Boy, back in my day..

beenthere

I can agree with what MM says about the hairs and legs.  ;D
Also, on using the axe or tree loppers. I cut it at the ground, and use the axe to loosen it from the tree so the chainsaw doesn't cut through it. And still am careful where the chips fall from sawing through the log.

X2 for 4x4 comments. And washing soap and water all body parts within 2 hours of possible contact work for me. Always wash hands after tying the boot laces too. Wash clothes too.

Never used to get it, but now do if not real careful. Still need to work in and around it sometimes.
south central Wisconsin
It may be that my sole purpose in life is simply to serve as a warning to others

trapper

stihl ms241cm ms261cm  echo 310 400 suzuki  log arch made by stepson several logrite tools woodmizer LT30

Ljohnsaw

I bought my cabin property about 1,000' higher than the poison oak grows (as bad as poison ivy) around here.  I didn't want to deal with it!  Went camping down on the coast over spring break - There were bushes of poison oak EVERYWHERE!  I just wanted to use a spray bottle of Round-Up on our hikes :D
John Sawicky

Just North-East of Sacramento...

SkyTrak 9038, Ford 545D FEL, Davis Little Monster backhoe, Case 16+4 Trencher, Home Built 42" capacity/36" cut Bandmill up to 54' long - using it all to build a timber frame cabin.

YoungStump

Wash your hands before you use the bathroom! Don't ask how I know.
Echo Enterprises 45HD2 production series band mill, Cook's Edger, sawing mostly pallet cants, rr ties, and grade lumber.

Ron Wenrich

Sap is the big culprit in getting the rash.  Especially this time of year.  I don't get a rash very often.  When I do, it's when I rub up against fresh cut and I'm sweating.  But, I'm not very sensitive to poison ivy.  I can work in, pull it off logs, cut it in the brush, and not get more than an occasional rash.

When I was marking timber, I would sometimes wade through the stuff.  My wife would get poison just by washing my clothes.  She would also get it by just petting the goats we had at the the time. 

If you're not sure if you get it our not, keep covered up.  When you're done, make sure you wash yourself down with a strong soap.  Showering is usually the best.  Wash your clothes right away. 
Never under estimate the power of stupid people in large groups.

WDH

Quote from: YoungStump on April 21, 2015, 11:12:38 PM
Wash your hands before you use the bathroom! Don't ask how I know.

Youngstump, that is one of those body parts that I was referring to  :)
Woodmizer LT40HDD35, John Deere 2155, Kubota M5-111, Kubota L2501, Nyle L53 Dehumidification Kiln, and a passion for all things with leafs, twigs, and bark.  hamsleyhardwood.com

bandmiller2

Goats consider poisoned ivy a fine salad green. Frank C.
A man armed with common sense is packing a big piece

thecfarm

I've never seen it in a vine here.   :o   On the edge of the woods I've seen it knee high,in the open not much more than a foot high.
Model 6020-20hp Manual Thomas bandsaw,TC40A 4wd 40 hp New Holland tractor, 450 Norse Winch, Heatmor 400 OWB,YCC 1978-79

bandmiller2

"C", you must be at the northern edge of its range, down here it will take to the trees, its a constant battle. I always take a pair of loppers and remove several inches of vine, that puts the bind on the top leaves. In my youth I caught it easily , now I have to really abuse it to get the itch. Tollerance will vary some folks don't get it others just have to look at it. Frank C.
A man armed with common sense is packing a big piece

Thank You Sponsors!