iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

1st chainsaw for my 25yo son?

Started by RobNH, April 21, 2015, 08:21:00 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

RobNH

Hi,
My 25yo son is graduating a 2 year Forestry program at college and I want to get him his 1st chainsaw as a gift.  He is talking about doing tree work over the summer to earn money.  Anyway, he seems to talk about Stihl a lot so I went to 2 different Stihl dealers.  On suggested an MS 311 or even MS 362.
The other one suggested the MS 271 as a good mid-range starting saw.

I don't want to over-buy so I am leaning towards the 271.

Anyone have suggestions on this?  Does this sound like a good saw to start with?

Myself, I have a Husky 51 .... which is fine for my occasional use.

Thx,
Rob

beenthere

I just picked up a new MS362 and used it today...  Wow, what a nice saw. Traded my MS361 for it. Liked the 361 a lot for its power and weight but got a good deal on the trade (about $30 a year for using the 361).

It is the mtronic, easier to start was what I noticed first off.

But that would just be my suggestion as a winning Stihl saw. He won't have to back down to too many others if he has the MS362.  My 2 cents
south central Wisconsin
It may be that my sole purpose in life is simply to serve as a warning to others

pabst79

If your son is going to be using the saw in his profession, I would recommend getting him a pro saw. They will last longer and perform better. Stihl saws that are even are pro, odd are homeowner grade. That's how it used to be and fairly sure still is. The 362 is a nice versatile pro saw  ;).
Not sure which came first, but I have chickens and eggs.

RobNH

He is going on for his bachelors degree so, not clear if he will be doing this as a profession.
How about the 311?

beenthere

Then get him the arborist saw, the MS 201

It will be a good saw that if he needs something different, will retain good value for selling or trading up.

http://www.stihlusa.com/products/chain-saws/in-tree-saws/ms201t/
south central Wisconsin
It may be that my sole purpose in life is simply to serve as a warning to others

4x4American

Quote from: pabst79 on April 21, 2015, 09:02:55 PM
If your son is going to be using the saw in his profession, I would recommend getting him a pro saw. They will last longer and perform better. Stihl saws that are even are pro, odd are homeowner grade. That's how it used to be and fairly sure still is. The 362 is a nice versatile pro saw  ;) .

I'm not so sure about that.  The 075/076 were both pro saws.  045/056 pro saws. 660/661.  440/441.  360/361/362.  260/261....

With the newer ones, the color of the handlebar is an easy way to tell.  If the rear handle is black and white, its a pro saw.  If it's all black its homeowner, and all white is farm and ranch.

a Stihl 362 would be a great gift.  It is a saw that is always getting good reviews, and will last a long time.  I love my 362.  I spend many days running 036 pro, 360, 361, and 362 at my regular job and I can't say much bad about them, except that sometimes they are too small for what they have me doing, in which case I bring in one of my personal saws.  6 cubes go forth and fear no evil!
Boy, back in my day..

John Mc

Rob -

When you say he's doing "tree work", to me that implies something along the lines of a limbing and trimming type saw, as opposed to one used for felling and bucking.  Is that what he intends to be doing? If so, Beenthere's suggestion of a 201 would be an excellent choice.

If he's looking for something that's more of an all-around saw, he may want something a little bigger.
If the only tool you have is a hammer, you tend to see every problem as a nail.   - Abraham Maslow

BubbasDad

If i were to buy a saw for my son or anyone else for that matter i would invite them along for the ride so they had the chance to get a feel for it and maybe they would have a question or two for the dealer. Would be kinda nice to get the right saw for the task at hand... just my opinion.
John

beenthere

BD
I think that is a great idea. Helps a father/son relationship.
south central Wisconsin

dirtmover1250

if he's going to do alot of climbing you might consider this. he will never outgrow that one, even after 10yrs in his career. Or the 201T as stated above.

MS192T

http://www.stihlusa.com/products/chain-saws/in-tree-saws/ms192tce/
Stihl MS180C, 16" bar
Stihl MS362CM, 20" bar

RobNH

I think a general purpose saw would be good ... the 362 is looking nice.
Would the 271 be a lightweight for felling and bucking?

pabst79

Quote from: 4x4American on April 21, 2015, 10:29:12 PM
If your son is going to be using the saw in his profession, I would recommend getting him a pro saw. They will last longer and perform better. Stihl saws that are even are pro, odd are homeowner grade. That's how it used to be and fairly sure still is. The 362 is a nice versatile pro saw  ;) .

I'm not so sure about that.  The 075/076 were both pro saws.  045/056 pro saws. 660/661.  440/441.  360/361/362.  260/261....

With the newer ones, the color of the handlebar is an easy way to tell.  If the rear handle is black and white, its a pro saw.  If it's all black its homeowner, and all white is farm and ranch.

a Stihl 362 would be a great gift.  It is a saw that is always getting good reviews, and will last a long time.  I love my 362.  I spend many days running 036 pro, 360, 361, and 362 at my regular job and I can't say much bad about them, except that sometimes they are too small for what they have me doing, in which case I bring in one of my personal saws.  6 cubes go forth and fear no evil!

Yep, I was being silly. There were odd numbered pro saws, (075 which I own). I guess my thinking was clouded by the hatred I have for my 290  :D, which is NOT a pro saw. There was a period, that the odd/even thing held true. That's the good thing about the forum, you can't step out of line very far, then..... dadgum you, Charlie!   :D
Not sure which came first, but I have chickens and eggs.

BubbasDad

Quote from: beenthere on April 22, 2015, 12:10:01 AM
BD
I think that is a great idea. Helps a father/son relationship.

I agree 100%!! My old man died when i was about 15, and some of my fondest memories is of our trips to the saw shop to pick up new saws. And of us working together, side by side cutting our fire wood. Not much said while saws were running but made for better (deeper) conversation when it was time to refill saws and cook a couple dogs on a small camp fire in the woods. Most of my buddys and my brothers would b*tch and gripe about doing fire wood... chores... I looked forward to every back busting min I got to spend with the old man. I learned alot in the short time we had together. Now I have got 3 sons of my own and i try to instill the same values that passed down to me into them and look forward to working side by side with them. And cant wait til i can stick a saw in their hands and see their eyes light up as they feel that raw power at their finger tips!
John

JohnG28

If you want to buy something that will last a long time then a model from the pro line is probably a good idea. 201, 261, 362, 440/441, 461, 661, 880 in Stihl's currently lineup. A 261 or 362 are good all around saw. 201t for in tree use. If you were to go with a 201 you'd want a current production run as they have upgraded the carb, coil and the flywheel I believe.
Stihl MS361, 460 & 200T, Jonsered 490, Jonsereds 90, Husky 350 & 142, Homelite XL and Super XL

CR888

He may want to choose his bigger saw or specialized arborist top handle himself as he will know the specifics as to what he will be using them for. If you got him a 241cm mtronic he would be up and running with a with the best 40cc saw on the market. A good first saw for learning but with enough quality/performance to keep. Not many 241cm's come up for sale used as their owners refuse to sell them. They are fantastic and able to be used in a wide variety of applications. He may then decide on a 60/70cc saw down the road. A lot of the time you find a 40cc10lb saw a blessing to use as you retain your energy and don't fatigue. Nice of you to be thinking of your son and buying him a saw would help him start out.

JohnW

It's impossible to generalize.  You said you didn't want to over buy?  You can't over buy a chainsaw for a 25 year old kid.  Buy the biggest badest saw you can.  You'll be glad you did.

bucknwfl

Invest in his future at the same time and buy him some chaps and ear protection :)
If it was easy everybody would be doing it

RobNH

Yup ... chaps, helmet and ear protection are in the works.
Thanks for the advice guys.  I think I'll go for the 362 with the receipt.  It will be a great surprise.
He can return for a different model if he really wants to.

celliott

Rob, I believe Stihl has a program for recent grads\current students of Forestry type college programs where they can get a discount on new Stihl gear\saws, or a one time purchase % off type of deal. One of his professors may know more about it.
I know one of my professors told me about it when I was near graduating. Worth looking into, although may not be able to finagle the "surprise" that way.
Chris Elliott

Clark 666C cable skidder
Husqvarna and Jonsered pro saws
265rx clearing saw
Professional maple tubing installer and maple sugaring worker, part time logger

JohnG28

One of the Stihl dealers not far from home will give 10% off the purchase of any new pro line equipment. They're a good shop and were a sponsor here, not sure if they still are? Might be worth asking your shop.
Stihl MS361, 460 & 200T, Jonsered 490, Jonsereds 90, Husky 350 & 142, Homelite XL and Super XL

CR888

A 362CM would not dissapoint anyone! If l was only allowed one saw, a 362 would probably be the one. Good for both limbing and bucking. A real 60cc saw with dedicated chassis for its displacement. The only question now is whether you are ordering the 'R' model with double dawbs, ceramic roller/catcher, wider clutch cover, 3/4 wrap handle bar and high flow oiler. For a little more than msrp of a standard 362 the 'R' model gives you a heap of worthwhile goodies that would cost into the hundreds to add on later. Just something to consider.

SawTroll

Quote from: RobNH on April 21, 2015, 08:21:00 PM
Hi,
My 25yo son is graduating a 2 year Forestry program at college and I want to get him his 1st chainsaw as a gift.  He is talking about doing tree work over the summer to earn money.  Anyway, he seems to talk about Stihl a lot so I went to 2 different Stihl dealers.  On suggested an MS 311 or even MS 362.
The other one suggested the MS 271 as a good mid-range starting saw.

I don't want to over-buy so I am leaning towards the 271.

Anyone have suggestions on this?  Does this sound like a good saw to start with?

Myself, I have a Husky 51 .... which is fine for my occasional use.

Thx,
Rob

Be aware that the so called "mid range" Stihl saws (like the 271 and 311 you mentioned) just are larger homeowner saws - there is nothing mid range with how they are built.
Information collector.

SawTroll

If your son is going to be using the saw in his profession, I would recommend getting him a pro saw. They will last longer and perform better. Stihl saws that are even are pro, odd are homeowner grade. That's how it used to be and fairly sure still is. The 362 is a nice versatile pro saw  ;).

There is no way to safely tell from the model number or colors which Stihl saws are pro and not. There has been attempts to make such systems, but they all have been short lived....
Information collector.

John Mc

Quote from: RobNH on April 23, 2015, 08:12:09 AM
Yup ... chaps, helmet and ear protection are in the works.
Thanks for the advice guys.  I think I'll go for the 362 with the receipt.  It will be a great surprise.
He can return for a different model if he really wants to.

That's probably a good plan. I don't know of a whole lot of people who would be unhappy to receive a 362. If the dealer will let him trade it in on another model, you've got your bases covered if he had his eye on another model. If as you say he "talks about Stihl a lot", you know you're at least shopping for the right brand in his eyes.
If the only tool you have is a hammer, you tend to see every problem as a nail.   - Abraham Maslow

4x4American

Quote from: CR888 on April 24, 2015, 01:00:52 AM
A 362CM would not dissapoint anyone! If l was only allowed one saw, a 362 would probably be the one. Good for both limbing and bucking. A real 60cc saw with dedicated chassis for its displacement. The only question now is whether you are ordering the 'R' model with double dawbs, ceramic roller/catcher, wider clutch cover, 3/4 wrap handle bar and high flow oiler. For a little more than msrp of a standard 362 the 'R' model gives you a heap of worthwhile goodies that would cost into the hundreds to add on later. Just something to consider.

The R models are definitely worth the extra $.  They are better saws.  I looked into converting my 362 to an R model, and it's not cost effective.  It's not much more to order it as an R model off the bat.  I have a couple R model Stihls and they are awesome.  I much prefer an R model for falling.
Boy, back in my day..

John Mc

For whatever reason, no one around here seems to use full or 3/4 wrap saws. Not sure why that is. It's not just a cost thing. From full-time pros to "occasional use" saw owners, just about everyone I've seen has the standard wrap.

4x4American

The 3/4 - full wrap handles started out on the west coast.  When I got my first 461 I had to talk to so many Stihl people to convince them to ship me one here.  I had to convince the regional manager at Stihl that people out east could benefit from them too.  After about a month and a half, they shipped me the Stihl 461r.  And then, after about another month, I noticed a sign at the counter of a different stihl dealership that said R models now available on the east coast.  They must have gotten enough complaints!

One guy I worked for in the woods, he bought 4 saws at a time.  Mainly 372 huskys. told me that if he ordered from somewhere in the west coast, they automatically came as XPW models.  He said he took a hacksaw and cut off the wrap part because he couldn't cut low enough! ???   

I have a 372 xpw, and I've measured it, you can cut a 4" low stump.  That's plenty low for me!
Boy, back in my day..

celliott

Quote from: John Mc on April 25, 2015, 08:09:42 AM
For whatever reason, no one around here seems to use full or 3/4 wrap saws. Not sure why that is. It's not just a cost thing. From full-time pros to "occasional use" saw owners, just about everyone I've seen has the standard wrap.

I know what you mean John. Occasionally you see one that an "enthusiast" owns.
I personally see no use for them. Bulky and add weight. If i was gonna drop extra money over a standard model saw, it'd be for heated handles.
A high output oiler wouldn't sell me either, as I don't use long bars. 20" on 70cc saws. Big felling dawgs, more for looks I think, we don't have thick barked softwoods. Plus they eat up bar length on my short bars  ;)
Just my opinion though  ;D   
Chris Elliott

Clark 666C cable skidder
Husqvarna and Jonsered pro saws
265rx clearing saw
Professional maple tubing installer and maple sugaring worker, part time logger

Logger003

I work for a Stihl dealer and the 311 or the 362 will not be a disappointment both good saws. The 291 is another good saw IMO. It really depends on what your going to be doing with the saw, that's my first question I ask my customers so I can point them in the right direction.

SawTroll

Quote from: celliott on April 25, 2015, 09:06:27 AM
Quote from: John Mc on April 25, 2015, 08:09:42 AM

I know what you mean John. Occasionally you see one that an "enthusiast" owns.
I personally see no use for them. Bulky and add weight. If i was gonna drop extra money over a standard model saw, it'd be for heated handles.
A high output oiler wouldn't sell me either, as I don't use long bars. 20" on 70cc saws. Big felling dawgs, more for looks I think, we don't have thick barked softwoods. Plus they eat up bar length on my short bars  ;)
Just my opinion though  ;D   

You got it right, far from everyone will benefit from the wrap hadles. :)
Information collector.

346xp

We have only sold 2 or 3 full wraps in 25 + years people just don't ask for them around here!!!

JohnG28

I originally thought that it was a nice addition as you can work around the tree a little easier, mainly on a hill or tough spot where cutting from one side was only way to go. I have since found it to just be more weight to carry and rarely use it. Looks cool, but not very practical IMO, least not in most cases.

JohnG28

As for the Husky 372 xpw, it came with a 75cc p/c as opposed to the 70 cc regular 372 xp. That may have been the reason guys wanted the factory wrap, not so much for the handle.

SawTroll

Quote from: JohnG28 on April 25, 2015, 06:55:04 PM
As for the Husky 372 xpw, it came with a 75cc p/c as opposed to the 70 cc regular 372 xp. That may have been the reason guys wanted the factory wrap, not so much for the handle.
That surely was the reason in many cases - but the 71cc top end comes with much better cylinder porting than the 75cc one.  ;)
Information collector.

JohnG28

I can't say I know anything of the porting in either, never had either apart before. But sure they were sought after, although there had been a NOS 372 xpw at a local shop as recently as last year. Not sure if it's still there, don't use them much.

Thank You Sponsors!