iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Two unknown trees I found when clearing

Started by grweldon, April 21, 2015, 09:35:54 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

grweldon

I really need to get a tree identification picture book for the trees of the south/Alabama.  Anybody recommend one?

Short of that, I'd like to know what these are before I can decide if they need to be removed...

This one I thought was a pecan until it flowered, there are many pecans in the area but none flowered like this... (yet?)...

And this one I am guessing is an Eastern Redbud....

My three favorite documents: The Holy Bible, The Declaration of Independence and The Constitution of the United States.

Raider Bill

The first one looks a bit like Brazilian pepper

The leaves on my red bud trees are fatter than those.

The First 70 years of childhood is always the hardest.

grweldon

A Brazilian pepper... Thanks a bunch for that Bill!   :D
My three favorite documents: The Holy Bible, The Declaration of Independence and The Constitution of the United States.

Raider Bill

I just read in the local paper where Florida is trying to import some kind of bug to slow down the spread of Brazilian pepper trees because they are so invasive.
Not saying that's what you have but looks similar.
The First 70 years of childhood is always the hardest.

bucknwfl

The first one is chinaberry.  What does the bark of the second look like

Thanks

Buck
If it was easy everybody would be doing it

WDH

Woodmizer LT40HDD35, John Deere 2155, Kubota M5-111, Kubota L2501, Nyle L53 Dehumidification Kiln, and a passion for all things with leafs, twigs, and bark.  hamsleyhardwood.com

bucknwfl

Chinaberry has some unique hues and colors.  It is very soft.  I have been looking for one big enough for paneling.  Enjoy

WDH

Buck,

I know where some is being cleared in South Georgia.  How much paneling do you need?
Woodmizer LT40HDD35, John Deere 2155, Kubota M5-111, Kubota L2501, Nyle L53 Dehumidification Kiln, and a passion for all things with leafs, twigs, and bark.  hamsleyhardwood.com

grweldon

Thanks y'all who posted.  I appreciate the answers!

Quote from: bucknwfl on April 21, 2015, 03:55:14 PM
The first one is chinaberry.  What does the bark of the second look like?

Quote from: WDH on April 21, 2015, 09:23:31 PM
Chinaberry is right.  The second is cherry.

Danny, without a doubt the second is Cherry?

bucknwfl

Quote from: WDH on April 22, 2015, 07:17:17 AM
Buck,

I know where some is being cleared in South Georgia.  How much paneling do you need?

I only need about 10 or so 1 x 8 x10'.  They are hard to come by down here.  Usually can get them for free but most of the farmers have pushed them up. It is part of a room I am trying to finish board n batten with as many species as possible. I would live to visit your site someday
Thanks

Buck

grweldon

Is Chinaberry good for anything?  The tree I got the sample from is a large, nasty looking tree.  I'm sure it has metal in it but it has a short, main trunk about 24+ inches in diameter maybe 5' tall or so.  Large branches and secondary trunk as well.  If I end up milling it you are welcome to have some.  I don't know if I can get 10' long 1x8s but again, if I mill it I'll keep that in mind...

bucknwfl

It is nice wood not an strength. I have not been able to find and 10 ft logs either. It is typical for it to branch off like that.

Thanks

Buck

grweldon

I'll see if I can post a picture of the whole tree tomorrow.  I have many others but I haven't seen any over 8" in diameter at the base.  I have read that it can (is? should?) be considered an invasive...

WDH

Buck,

I have some in 8' length, kiln dried.  No 10' though.

GR,

Yes, 100% sure about the cherry.  Crush a leaf and smell it, or scrape the bark off a twig and smell it.  The odor is unmistakeable. 

grweldon

My nitwit son cut down the only cherry tree I know of on my property.  That's where the sample was from.  It was about 7-8" in diameter and had about 1.5" of heartwood.  I'm so bummed.  At least I'll know what to look for on the rest of the property.

Thanks All...

Magicman

Was his name George Washington Weldon??   ???
Knothole Sawmill, LLC     '98 Wood-Mizer LT40SuperHydraulic   WM Million BF Club Member   WM Pro Sawyer Network

It's Weird being the Same Age as Old People

Never allow your "need" to make money to exceed your "desire" to provide quality service.....The Magicman

beenthere

I could never speak of my children that way, regardless what they would ever do. Just sayin..
Wish you well GRW. It is just a tree.  ;)
south central Wisconsin
It may be that my sole purpose in life is simply to serve as a warning to others

Thank You Sponsors!