iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Posting pictures Help.

Started by Kbeitz, April 21, 2015, 01:59:17 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Kbeitz

I had so much trouble trying to post pictures here on this forum that I thought I might give some help
to others that might need it. This might not be the right way to do it but it works for me.
First I might add that you need to make a folder to put your pictures in before you can upload
any pictures. I don't know why but I can only upload one picture at a time . The multiple file upload
just does not work for me. You can put more that one picture at a time in your post using the
simple - one file at a time selection by just clicking on the blue (click here to add photos to post
button again. Dont forget to select your folder each time before you upload your file picture.

Collector and builder of many things.
Love machine shop work
and Wood work shop work
And now a saw mill work

terrifictimbersllc

This should be helpful . Thank you for posting it.   I agree it can be difficult even for the savvy and even if computer working well.   

I always try to keep very aware that when posting photos there are multiple windows open.  The first screen shot you show is your post in one window.  The second and third are in a different window.  One has to go back and forth between windows.

Another thing I find hard is to find a photo in my library.  The thumbnails are very small and it is hard for me to identify the photo I am looking for from the thumb nail photos. I wish I knew how to make them bigger and to scroll through them somehow.
DJ Hoover, Terrific Timbers LLC,  Mystic CT Woodmizer Million Board Foot Club member. 2019 LT70 Super Wide 55 Yanmar,  LogRite fetching arch, WM BMS250 sharpener/BMT250 setter.  2001 F350 7.3L PSD 6 spd manual ZF 4x4 Crew Cab Long Bed

thecfarm

terrifictimbersllc,I made up a bunch of diffeant albums in my gallery. All the titles help me out to find what I want. There is also a search that would work the same way,BUT you have to change the wording for each one. I like to add the date to each picture no matter what I do.
Model 6020-20hp Manual Thomas bandsaw,TC40A 4wd 40 hp New Holland tractor, 450 Norse Winch, Heatmor 400 OWB,YCC 1978-79

beenthere

Very good pictorial help and identifying the apparent hang-ups that are not intuitive to the casual user.
smiley_thumbsup. The scrolling down under the pic in the gallery to the "insert image in post" is a real tricky one.

The other that is missed would be the rotate button just to the left under the pic in the gallery. With the new age of ipads and cameras that get so many pics rotated sideways or upside down, it is an important button to know about.
south central Wisconsin
It may be that my sole purpose in life is simply to serve as a warning to others

Kbeitz

When I first was trying to post a picture I uploaded the same picture many times so I have many repeats of the same picture in my folder.I'm afraid to delete any of them because I don't know what picture is being used in my post. I dont know how to use the pictures already in my folders so I would just upload a new one.
Anyone have an answer to my problem?
Love machine shop work
and Wood work shop work
And now a saw mill work

beenthere

We see that (duplicate pics) often with new posters..  maybe there is a filter that would compare file tags so only one could be uploaded.. up to Jeff but it takes up his time.
However, when a new pic is uploaded, the previous pics show up in the user gallery so wouldn't think adding it again would seem to be a solution. But on my computer, the window that pops up isn't large enough to capture the thumbnail of the added pic. Have to slide over and down to see it. That might be a potential hangup too.  Hard to cover every situation, especially now with the multiple phones used. Was involved enough when PC's and Mac's were used. 

You might be able to identify the pic you used in your post by going to "modify" and see the url used.
Again, Jeff would know better how that would/should work for you.
south central Wisconsin
It may be that my sole purpose in life is simply to serve as a warning to others

Jeff

If you have too many photos in your gallery, which is not good, you should go through your posts and find the names of the ones you used. You can see them either by right clicking on the photo and look at properties, or click modify and see the text. You should then go through your gallery and remove all those that you didn't use. It may sound like work, but just think about how much work it would be for someone else to have to do it for everyone.

Thanks for the new tutorial. Hopefully it helps some people. I can tell you after years of experience with this, no matter how good the tutorial, no matter how easy the process, there will be a certain amount of people that will find fault. Better you get the blame this time than me.  :)

Small or larger relative to the size of the thumbnails is completely subjective to your computer resolution and eyesight. ;)
Just call me the midget doctor.
Forestry Forum Founder and Chief Cook and Bottle Washer.

Commercial circle sawmill sawyer in a past life for 25yrs.
Ezekiel 22:30

Kbeitz

Quote from: Jeff on April 21, 2015, 11:42:56 AM
If you have too many photos in your gallery, which is not good, you should go through your posts and find the names of the ones you used. You can see them either by right clicking on the photo and look at properties, or click modify and see the text. You should then go through your gallery and remove all those that you didn't use. It may sound like work, but just think about how much work it would be for someone else to have to do it for everyone.

Thanks for the new tutorial. Hopefully it helps some people. I can tell you after years of experience with this, no matter how good the tutorial, no matter how easy the process, there will be a certain amount of people that will find fault. Better you get the blame this time than me.  :)

Small or larger relative to the size of the thumbnails is completely subjective to your computer resolution and eyesight. ;)

All my repeated pictures all have the same name snd it's the same picture.
After it would disappear I world just try again...
Now I know better...
Love machine shop work
and Wood work shop work
And now a saw mill work

Nomad

Jeff, I thought removing pics from one's gallery was a no-no?  If it's okay, I'm sure there are pics in there I'd be more than happy to get rid of.  I'm sure a lot of other people could as well.  Is it only possible with pics that have never been used in a post?
Buying a hammer doesn't make you a carpenter
WoodMizer LT50HDD51-WR
Lucas DSM23-19

Ianab

You can (and should) remove pictures that haven't been used in posts.

It's removing pics that have been put into posts that's a no-no, because you end up with the dreaded red X where the picture was.
Weekend warrior, Peterson JP test pilot, Dolmar 7900 and Stihl MS310 saws and  the usual collection of power tools :)

Jeff

If the photo was uploaded more than one time, it gets a new name each time. Delete the ones NOT used in posts.

Kbeitz

So by right clicking on a picture and read the properties should give you the name of the picture that you would want to keep ?

Love machine shop work
and Wood work shop work
And now a saw mill work

Ianab

Quote from: Kbeitz on April 23, 2015, 02:17:11 AM
So by right clicking on a picture and read the properties should give you the name of the picture that you would want to keep ?

Yes, the last part of that link will correspond to the names in your gallery.
Weekend warrior, Peterson JP test pilot, Dolmar 7900 and Stihl MS310 saws and  the usual collection of power tools :)

21incher

I am now getting a message exceeded php.ini size when I try to upload a picture and the file will not upload. I have used all but a couple of my pics in posts but am wondering if deleting old files will fix this without messing up the posts?
Hudson HFE-21 on a custom trailer, Deere 4100, Kubota BX 2360, Echo CS590 & CS310, home built wood splitter, home built log arch, a logrite cant hook and a bread machine. And a Kubota Sidekick with a Defective Subaru motor.

terrifictimbersllc

Quote from: Jeff on April 21, 2015, 11:42:56 AM
I'll try next time with my glasses on ::)
DJ Hoover, Terrific Timbers LLC,  Mystic CT Woodmizer Million Board Foot Club member. 2019 LT70 Super Wide 55 Yanmar,  LogRite fetching arch, WM BMS250 sharpener/BMT250 setter.  2001 F350 7.3L PSD 6 spd manual ZF 4x4 Crew Cab Long Bed

Jeff

Quote from: 21incher on April 23, 2015, 07:48:45 AM
I am now getting a message exceeded php.ini size when I try to upload a picture and the file will not upload. I have used all but a couple of my pics in posts but am wondering if deleting old files will fix this without messing up the posts?

The error has nothing to do with your inability to upload because of photos already on the forum. DO NOT DELETE OLD PHOTOS UNLESS YOU ARE ABSOLUTELY POSITIVE THEY WERE NEVER USED IN A POST.  If you do, and they are, you will destroy the post.  If you delete photos that ruin posts. We might delete YOU. ;)

Your error is caused because you your photos are to big. New phone? Bigger camera? Did you change your photo size quality in your phone or camera?  The new phones have HUGE photos on full settings. To big for here until you reduce the size some on your phone.

21incher

Quote from: Jeff on April 23, 2015, 08:23:06 AM
Quote from: 21incher on April 23, 2015, 07:48:45 AM

The error has nothing to do with your inability to upload because of photos already on the forum. DO NOT DELETE OLD PHOTOS UNLESS YOU ARE ABSOLUTELY POSITIVE THEY WERE NEVER USED IN A POST.  If you do, and they are, you will destroy the post.  If you delete photos that ruin posts. We might delete YOU. ;)

Your error is caused because you your photos are to big. New phone? Bigger camera? Did you change your photo size quality in your phone or camera?  The new phones have HUGE photos on full settings. To big for here until you reduce the size some on your phone.
Jeff  it is the same camera that I have been using since I started uploading photos to the forum with no changes to the file sizes. The last 2 photos I tried uploading gave me the message and I thought that it may have something to do with me having to many photos in my gallery taking up to much space on your server. I did not delete anything and have never had this happen in the past. I will try again later with some different photos.
Hudson HFE-21 on a custom trailer, Deere 4100, Kubota BX 2360, Echo CS590 & CS310, home built wood splitter, home built log arch, a logrite cant hook and a bread machine. And a Kubota Sidekick with a Defective Subaru motor.

Jeff

Some photos can be "busy" and have a larger file size than normal. Say lots of branches and fine detail. Another thing that can make a photo a lot bigger, is simply the color red. If a photo has a lat of red in it, the picture size is bigger.

There have been no changes in quite some time with the gallery (years) or its functions, so it's much more than likely the issue is on your end.

beenthere

Right click on your photo's and open them in "Paint" (or some other software for resizing photo's) and drop the pixel size.  Paint works good for me, and also can crop easily to remove the extraneous and unimportant stuff around what is important.
south central Wisconsin

Jeff

Nothing personal, but paint is the worst program ever created to do something like that in.  ;)

beenthere

Don't know why that is, as it works great for me... and it isn't the program that it used to be.  ;)
south central Wisconsin

Jeff

That could be. I quit looking at it a couple windows versions ago.

21incher

Thanks for the lesson on posting pictures Jeff. It turned out that the last batch of pictures taken with my camera were slightly larger files then all previous ones I had posted. I thought all files from the camera would be the same size, but boy was I wrong.

beenthere the paint program worked great for me and was simple to use. Thanks everyone. :)

Kbeitz

A really good program for working with pictures is Paint shop Pro.
I love version 7 and it can be had on e-bay very cheap.
If you use that program to open you picture and save it as a .jpg and before clicking save you can
pick options. Under options you can pick compression factor. Picking hightest compression factor
will decress the size of your picture. I'm an old guy and I love my OLD sony Mavica cameras.
They take a great picture and the pixel size is very small. Again bought on E-bay for a dime.
Love machine shop work
and Wood work shop work
And now a saw mill work

Ianab

The current version of MS Paint is at least usable for resizing and cropping, if that's all you need, it will work fine.

Personally I use GIMP, which is an open source "Photoshop". Not all the features of the current Photoshop of course, but it probably compares to Paint Shop Pro pretty well. Being open source the price is right  ;)

http://www.gimp.org/

Thank You Sponsors!