iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

TICKS!!!

Started by StimW, April 19, 2015, 11:10:29 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

StimW

I bought a 10 acre property (mostly pasture) 2 months ago and am clearing a property line and removing overgrown trees and bushes.
I have found over 20 ticks ON ME when I got home after numerous days working.
These things are microscopic! They look like a tiny dot and some I only found after they started itching and turned the skin red.
I've read up on them and no sign of Lime Disease (YET).
Between them and Skeetters I need to reserve a quart of blood for the future!
I bought some 40% Deet at Gander Mountain but internet says ticks just crawl past it.
Have seen 3 Deer and a Turkey on my property! They must know that I don't hunt.  ?
New HF Band Mill
Branson 35 hp 4 WD Diesel Tractor W/Attachments- Backhoe, FEL W/ Bucket or Forks, 4' Tiller
4000# Clark Forklift W/24" Tires
Promark 6" Brush chipper W/18 hp Kohler

submarinesailor

I have used 40% DEET to keep them off of me.  Worked just fine.  Remember to remove anything that's plastic before you  spray.  It WILL damage them - been there, done that.

beenthere

Just another reason, of many, that I like winter in the north.  ;D
south central Wisconsin
It may be that my sole purpose in life is simply to serve as a warning to others

LeeB

Ah, welcome to the South. Our tick season started 2 months ago. Been seeing mostly Lone Star ticks so far.
'98 LT40HDD/Lombardini, Case 580L, Cat D4C, JD 3032 tractor, JD 5410 tractor, Husky 346, 372 and 562XP's. Stihl MS180 and MS361, 1998 and 2006 3/4 Ton 5.9 Cummins 4x4's, 1989 Dodge D100 w/ 318, and a 1966 Chevy C60 w/ dump bed.

Chuck White

There is a product that I've heard about, but never tried that's supposed to be good for tick control, it's called Sawyers Permethrin.

I believe it was mentioned here on the Forestry Forum, some time back, and I just made a note of it.
~Chuck~  Cooks Cat Claw sharpener and single tooth setter.  2018 Chevy Silverado and 2021 Subaru Ascent.
With basic mechanical skills and the ability to read you can maintain a Woodmizer  LT40!

coxy

just because you don't see a bulls eye or a red rash doesn't mean a thing I didn't have any of it after getting bit and one day started getting what felt like a stiff neck and a vary bad pain in my shoulder went on for a bout a week then couldn't handle the pain any longer went to the first doc said it was bone spurs gave me some kind of meds didn't work then went to another doc he took a blood test and found I had double lime one from last year and a new case of it   the long and short of it you don't always get the bulls eye or the red rash and other things  if you start feeling something different about your self demand a blood test if it doesn't show up the first time try it a few more times  good luck and hope you never get it it sucks

r.man

Do they have a definitive blood test for lyme disease?
Life is too short or my list is too long, not sure which. Dec 2014

Mark Wentzell

Quote from: r.man on April 20, 2015, 08:19:22 AM
Do they have a definitive blood test for lyme disease?

The two tests used in canada don't work well from what I've heard. There is a better test available from labs in the US but it is pricey to get done. It's better to have the tick itself tested, if you can.

Deet seems to work well for me. I've heard good reports about permethrin.

bluthum

If microscopic means about the size of a period in this sentence then you had "seed " ticks which are newly hatched from eggs.  After hatching they will wad up in a ball on a nice launch site like the tip of a plant and sort of roll onto you. There can be hundreds in one wad, there can be several wads in a small area. Around here seed tick season hasn't begun yet this year.

If microscopic means about 1 mm diameter then you have a hatchling ["seed"] that has fed once or more and gone to the next level of maturity, called in these parts a "yearling". Yearling stage ticks can get on you by themselves or they may be in a small group. There can be big numbers of them on trails and such.  It takes several feed/molting stages to go from hatchling to adult.

I wouldn't consider 20 ticks in several trips to be a very noteworthy infestation.  I've had decent success with 40% deet but it's not fool proof. I also have had lyme disease [had a classic bulls eye] and one other tick disease  I forget the name of.... the one that swells the lymph nodes...hmmmmmm..

Claybraker

+1 on the permethrin. Treat the clothing and boots you'll be wearing, and they should be good to go for up to 6 washings.

Corley5

Quote from: beenthere on April 19, 2015, 11:44:45 PM
Just another reason, of many, that I like winter in the north.  ;D

smiley_thumbsup smiley_thumbsup  Me too.  We never had ticks here until just a few years ago.  I can deal with mosquitoes and blackflies but ticks are another matter.
Burnt Gunpowder is the Smell Of Freedom

THUNDER BEAST

REPEL makes a clothing and gear spray made of permethrin that you spray on your clothes, let it dry and then get dressed in them. I went and bought a tan pair of thin coveralls and sprayed them down. I wear them every time I go work in the woods and fields of my farm in northern WI. I have NEVER had a tick on me yet though my coworkers who did not listen to me and outfit themselves as I instructed are always covered in ticks. Take my word for it, the product works.  Make sure to not spray while wearing the clothes and let dry. THUNDER

StimW

Here is the property line before I cleared it. It is 10 acres dead square!

Here is the house on the property

And here is the pasture since it turned green
New HF Band Mill
Branson 35 hp 4 WD Diesel Tractor W/Attachments- Backhoe, FEL W/ Bucket or Forks, 4' Tiller

StimW

Just be careful with Permethrin, it is deadly to cats!!
New HF Band Mill

WV Sawmiller

Another caution with Permethrin is avoid high heat to the clothing it is used on.

Ironing or drying at high temps negate the effectiveness. We used to use it when I worked in Africa and when we vacationed in the jungles in Africa and S. America. It was highly recommended to repel mosquitoes as part of a good malaria prevention program.
Howard Green
WM LT35HDG25(2015) , 2011 4WD F150 Ford Lariat PU, Kawasaki 650 ATV, Stihl 440 Chainsaw, homemade logging arch (w/custom built rear log dolly), JD 750 w/4' wide Bushhog brand FEL

Dad always said "You can shear a sheep a bunch of times but you can only skin him once

beenthere

Quote from: StimW on April 20, 2015, 11:36:15 AM

Guaranteed?  And how can that work?
south central Wisconsin
It may be that my sole purpose in life is simply to serve as a warning to others

pappy19

A dog flea collar around your boots will keep ticks and chiggers away from your legs. A little powdered flowers of sulphur around your waist also works for the upper body. Skeeters need Deet.

Pap
2008 F-250 V-10
2007 Lincoln LT
1996 Ford Bronco
Kubota 900 RTV
Shindiawa fan

WV Sawmiller

Pappy,

I've always heard from medical folks not to use the flea collars on people. If they contact skin can cause serious problems.

The sulfur is good. Grandpa used to sprinkle it in his shoes like foot powder and apparently absorbed enough to help repel ticks and skeeters. He'd also drop a dab of syrup or honey in sulfur and roll it around into a small ball and swallow that. I had friends who had sulfur in their well water and we'd be out about dark swatting skeeters like crazy and they apparently were immune to them.
Howard Green
WM LT35HDG25(2015) , 2011 4WD F150 Ford Lariat PU, Kawasaki 650 ATV, Stihl 440 Chainsaw, homemade logging arch (w/custom built rear log dolly), JD 750 w/4' wide Bushhog brand FEL

Dad always said "You can shear a sheep a bunch of times but you can only skin him once

CJennings

Only 20? Count yourself lucky. Going through an old field full of raspberries last summer I ended up with over 50 of them. They were everywhere on me. Berry briars seem the worst for ticks. What's scary is they weren't really here when I was growing up, which wasn't that long ago. My niece had lyme disease last year because of them. No bullseye rash either so keep an eye out for symptoms, you never know, it just takes one.

John Mc

Quote from: beenthere on April 20, 2015, 02:17:34 PM
Quote from: StimW on April 20, 2015, 11:36:15 AM

Guaranteed?  And how can that work?

Permethrin has low toxicity to most mammals, and is not readly absorbed through the skin. However, cats lack and enzyme (or something) necessary to break it down. If they get into permethrin, it takes a quick response by a skilled vet who knows what he is dealing with to prevent the death of the cat.  However, if I read you correctly, Beenthere, saving the cat is not exactly what you had in mind ??
If the only tool you have is a hammer, you tend to see every problem as a nail.   - Abraham Maslow

beenthere

;D ;D

I'm bad to the bone.. 'bout cats. But I wouldn't use permethrin 'agin 'em.
south central Wisconsin

Magicman

Knothole Sawmill, LLC     '98 Wood-Mizer LT40SuperHydraulic   WM Million BF Club Member   WM Pro Sawyer Network

It's Weird being the Same Age as Old People

Never allow your "need" to make money to exceed your "desire" to provide quality service.....The Magicman

beenthere

south central Wisconsin

johnnyllama

Does anyone know if lyme disease would show up on a standard blood test such as a general physical would use? The reason I ask, I've been fighting neck and shoulder pain for the last 18 months with no relief from physical therapy, nerve blocks, chiropractor, etc. Even went to the neurosurgeon that fixed my lower back, but he said it didn't appear to be caused by a spinal issue. I had been bitten a few times in the previous year or two, even went to the doctor back then but they didn't think it was Lyme at the time. Lately it just seems more joints keep hurting but maybe it's just me getting old. I had a physical recently, but my blood test came back looking fine according to the Doc. (I didn't mention Lyme to them)
Turner Bandmill, NH35 tractor, Stihl & Husky misc. saws, Mini-excavator, 24" planer, 8" jointer, tilting shaper, lathe, sliding table saw, widebelt sander, Beautiful hardworking wife, 2 dogs, 2 cats, 23 llamas in training to pull logs!!!

beenthere

Only if the Dr. lists that test on your blood lab work, IIRC.
I had to talk real hard once to get them to pay for that test to be included... after picking off the tick and getting the red ring (even had a pic to show). Still had to beg, but the test came back negative.
south central Wisconsin

Thank You Sponsors!