iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Gotta Love Junk Yards

Started by Corley5, April 19, 2015, 09:48:07 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Corley5

The transmission in my C4D forwarder spun a front bearing and ruined the case.  Something to do with it loosening up on the bell housing I'm sure.  I needed a new/different case.  It's an NP five speed with 5th and reverse locked out.  The gears are in there you just can't shift into them.  It's the same tranny some Ford trucks used.  Anyway we got it tore down and discovered the bearing spun into the case and my first thoughts were searching the internet for a used case or complete tranny.  This one was rebuilt last summer.  I happened to think about an old junk yard that's pretty close and paid Joe a visit although I really didn't think he'd have one.  He knew what I was looking for and sent us "just through the pines, past the dumpster with wheels with steel sticking out of it and there's two of them.  They're out of school buses".  We went too far out of the pines to the wrong dumpster with wheels and found an Eaton that looked similar and then looked over just about everything.  There were a couple likely candidates in a couple Ford truck tractors but we didn't find any laying around loose.  We went back to the garage, told him we didn't find them and he told us we went too far and took us back there himself.  The only place we didn't look was "just past the dumpster with wheels with the steel sticking out of it just past the pines"  ;D :D  There behind the dumpster was one tranny.  He was sure there should have been two but the other one was long gone.  This one was half buried in pine needles and sand and there wasn't a hole where the other had been.  It's been gone a long time.  This one also has a PTO.  I don't know what a school bus would need a PTO for.  We dug it out and lugged it around the dumpster and loaded it in the truck.  I tried to get a price on it out of him but all I could get was "What's it worth to ya?"  Finally we agreed at his suggestion that I take it, make sure it's right and get back to him.  We took it, pressure washed it, stripped it down and it appears that it'll work.  So tomorrow I need to get with Joe and settle up for the tranny.
  He's got lots of other neat stuff from old farm tractors to big and small wheel loaders, dozers etc.  One smaller Cat end loader has been repowered with a 4-71 and there's a BIG old Hough with a huge Cummins engine that he uses around the yard's sand pit.  There's a 6-71 Detroit powered car crusher too.  Gotta love junkyards  8) 8) 8)
  I figure the amount of time I saved finding this locally, he's about 15 minutes away, is worth more than the tranny itself  8) 8)  I'm sure we'll come to price that satisfactory to both of us   

Burnt Gunpowder is the Smell Of Freedom

lopet

You must be getting good at tearing that tranny out of that C4. ;D   It's kinda hard to believe one can have that much bad luck, but at least you found what you need.
Matter fact I was in a junk yard today too. Not because I needed something, just to check out the inventory and eventually find something I could use sometime down the road. :D
Good luck.       Are you just using the housing and swap all the gears.
Make sure you know how to fall properly when you fall and as to not hurt anyone around you.
Also remember, it's not the fall what hurts, its the sudden stop. !!

Corley5

We can have the engine and tranny laying on the ground in less than an hour and a half  ;D

Corley5

We're putting the stuff from the original tranny into the new case with new bearings and seals although everything looked good in the new transmission except the input shaft is a larger diameter for the pilot bearing.

barbender

Which model of NP tranny is that, Corley?
Too many irons in the fire

Corley5

I've got the model written down here somewhere in one of my notebooks.  That makes the junkyard one that much more valuable because I don't have to look for that book with those #s  :)   
  It was stated on the original tag which Wellers removed and replaced with their own which has a number that means nothing to anyone but them ::) :( >:(

BargeMonkey

When the price of scrap went up around here a few yrs ago alot of good stuff went to the crusher. Im still haggling with my brother in law on some of the stuff sitting out back, they have a 65-65 ? 350 deere diesel straight blade thats in desperate need of restoration.  ;D 
1-1/2 hrs is good time to have that laying on the ground, i was 5hrs getting my 353 out by myself the first time, my 230 forwarder isnt exactly the friendliest to work on.

loggah

Thats the problem with working in one part time !!! ;D i see so much stuff that i want to drag home,theres a bunch of stuff i hate shearing up ,but you cant save everything. lots of heavy equipment and truck parts, and sometime stuff just follows me home !!!! ;D
Interests: Lombard Log Haulers,Tucker Sno-Cats, Circular Sawmills, Shingle Mills, Maple Syrup Making, Early Construction Equipment, Logging Memorabilia, and Antique Firearms

coxy

I have a np 540 in one and a np540d in the other   

Corley5

The part's tranny's original tag is gone with a Valley Truck Parts tag in its place.  No worthwhile #s on it either.  NP540 sounds familiar  8) :)
  Nice thing about pulling this Deutz is there's no liquid cooling system to deal with  ;D 8)  Flip the limb risers up, pull the hood and nose/grill, unhook fuel lines, wiring to starter and alternator and slip exhaust pipe off.  Then it's four motor mount bolts, the driveshaft, clutch linkage and it's ready to fly  ;D  Don't forget the ground strap or it'll need to be replaced  ;) ;D
  I might not have had this problem if we'd pulled it and through bolted the tranny to the bell housing when it first happened but it was 5 degrees the first day we bolted it back up and it gave trouble after that.  Everything seemed fine when we finally did pull it and fix it but the damage was probably done the first time it loosened up.  Pushing 150,000lbs of log truck a few days ago finished it off  ;) :)
  It's a good time to deal with it as the harvester was down anyway and we needed to clean up the scraps and firewood from two landings on this job to move on to other jobs.  We can't come back to this one until after 7-15 because of the bark slip restriction in the contract.  There's also 80 or so face cords of firewood on order and part of the clean up is processing the out of spec hardwood pulp wood into firewood.  We've been sorting that out since the 1st of the year and it should cover the cord wood orders.  I'm thinking we might be cutting timber again sometime this week but there's grape vines and trellis posts to plant too.  If there's a good time to be broke down this is it and it's not the middle of winter  :)

Corley5

Ran into a little glitch reassembling the tranny today.  The new one is 3/16" shorter than the old one.  The casting on the old one is that much thicker at the output end.  The top covers and gaskets are interchangeable but there's a difference in the main shaft length.  So we're using the input shaft from the original tranny with the gear cluster from the new tranny.  Seems like it will work.  The bottom gear cluster is the same in both.  I wonder if that's the difference between a 540 and a 540D ???  Just waiting for a new bearing.

coxy

ummmm maybe  :) the only trouble I had was the main shafts were different one with fine spline and course spline but both were 540s never had the 540d apart    ill have to do some investigating thanks for the tip  :)  forgot there is also a 541 and a 542 cant remember but both 240tj that my buddy has has one or the other in it they are a little different then the 540 also    errr the 541or 542 has 4 bolts to pull the shift lever

Corley5

Well it didn't work out.  The new tranny has a higher gear ratio than the old one and the gears wouldn't mesh.  I'm off to Weller's in Gaylord to pick up a used case, and a bearing and gasket kit.  We tried  8)

beenthere

Bummer to hear that, as it sounded like such a good plan.

Sure do admire your sticktoitiveness and tenacity to give it a go, figure out the details, and dive in to getRdun.

Hope the next phase will wrap it up for the time being anyway.

south central Wisconsin
It may be that my sole purpose in life is simply to serve as a warning to others

Corley5

Wrong case.  It was tagged wrong in Grand Rapids.  It was for a 542 in a GMC not a Ford.  Wrong bolt pattern on the input end.  This all went down after the truck had left of course.  They looked all over and have no Ford 542 cases so Monday AM mine is going to Grand Rapids to have the bearing seat built up and machined back to spec.  It should be back Tuesday AM.  Still got firewood orders to fill  ;D  And 500 trellis posts and 1,500 grape vines to plant next week.  No lack of things to do.  This is keeping me from the 100 face cord back log I have some springs  :) 
  The temp sensor for the ignition advance on the injector pump showed up yesterday.  Everything is here to put the harvester back together.  Tony's going to do that maybe tomorrow.  There's been no hurry as it isn't much good without the forwarder :) 
  Here's the story behind sourcing the sensor.  One of the main industrial/commercial JD dealers in the state couldn't find it in their books and claimed it had to be a Fabtek add on and I needed to call the diesel pump repair place to get.  He even suggested I may have to call Cat because they handle Fabtek ::) :( >:( :o >:(  It's JOHN DEERE engine ::) ::)  I couldn't talk to the idiot anymore and went to Deere's parts site myself and found what I thought was the part # and then called a JD ag dealer who looked it up and confirmed that I had the right #.  They ordered it and dropped shipped it to me  8) 8) 8)

kiko

I have run into part issues before with jd engines that are not in a jd machine.  I have had to go through the ag side as well with these power plant engine set ups.  I suppose that ag side has the necessary info because they deal with the irrigation pumps and such.   And I like junk yards so much I have my own forestry equipment junkyard. But hey it's not junk to me.

timberlinetree

I hope you get all your repairs done. I like junk yards so much I'm planning a vacation(someday)  to Myerstown pa. Seems to be a lot of ( treasure yards) down there.
I've met Vets who have lived but still lost their lives... Thank a Vet

Family man and loving it :)

barbender

I have had similar experiences with JD parts guys, Corley >:(
Too many irons in the fire

Corley5

I quit >:( >:( >:( >:(  No, I'm not a quitter but it would sure be easy to get a job at HD or better yet be the Cart Guy at Walmart.
  One of the lessons learned this time.  Don't buy cheap injectors on E-bay.  They're not worth it  ::) >:( ::) ::) ::)  The engine still wasn't right after we put the pump back on.  Tony tracked a miss to #6 and we put an old injector in the hole.  That solved some of the problem but it still isn't right.  We thought it was good enough to run a couple days until the new injectors arrive but we decided against it after starting it up this afternoon.  We'll just wait.  The forwarder had a flat tire today anyway.  We were in the vineyard this afternoon moving excess posts and it went flat.  It's off and ready to go to the tire Dr. in the AM.  I'm hoping it's a just a chaffed tube that can be replaced and a rough spot on the rim or inside of the tire that can be buffed out and or patched.  I don't need to buy a new 18.4X26 forestry tire right now.
  Another lesson is trying to save a couple dollars may end up costing many more than just paying the long $$$ to begin with.
  Yet another is Murphy's Law is alive and well.  I thought we were good to go today to get back in the woods after breakdowns, grape planting and trellis installation, and a whack of firewood processing.  Nope, it wasn't meant to be today and now probably won't be until Tuesday afternoon at the earliest.  I'm just about out of hardwood pulp now. 

lopet

Hope you get things sorted out soon.
Make sure you know how to fall properly when you fall and as to not hurt anyone around you.
Also remember, it's not the fall what hurts, its the sudden stop. !!

OneWithWood

I am confident you will sort it all out, get back in the saddle and be hitting on all cylinders in the very near future.
Amazing how we learn and relearn some basic lessons.  :)
One With Wood
LT40HDG25, Woodmizer DH4000 Kiln

Corley5

Tony put the new injectors in today and the problem is solved.  Only two cylinders were firing properly.  One of those was with an old injector.  These Stanadyne style injectors have a needle and seat check where the injector lines attach.  The needles were hammered to the point that they fell out when the injectors were pulled and turned upside down.  I guess they were soft  ??? ???  Stay away from cheap E-bay injectors.  The new ones are Stanadynes.  Should be cutting in the morning. 
  I was going to run some firewood this morning but first did a spring time lube oil filter on the Bobcat.  I climbed in afterward, hit the key and it rolled over about half a revolution and clunk.  The starter gave out  ::) ::) ::) ::) ::) ::)  It's at the rebuild shop and will be done tomorrow. 
  I've got 128 face cords of firewood on order now.  Got to get some wood on the landing.

Thank You Sponsors!