iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Selling online

Started by 69bronco, April 18, 2015, 09:23:25 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

69bronco

Anyone here market your wares on Etsy, Pintrest etc? Our area is a tough place to move things, just wondering if anyone has any experience selling on line.

Larry

I've noticed there a lot of very talented craftsmen selling on Etsy.  Having made many of the same items I think I know the costs.  Those folks make enough to cover material and very little for there labor.  A little research shows a lot of those selling are retirees doing something that full fills there needs other than money.

I think the benefit to some of these places is they open the door to other avenues. 

There is also another place you might look at....custommade.com  A friend has gotten a couple of commissions, one being a large one.
Larry, making useful and beautiful things out of the most environmental friendly material on the planet.

We need to insure our customers understand the importance of our craft.

yukon cornelius

We have been on etsy for just over a year and in January this year we really took off. it was a really slow start and we almost quit trying there for a while. now it is a real platform to sell from. when we have a local customer wanting to use a credit card we set it up through etsy. It gives our shop credibility as in others can read reviews and sales we have had. It also gives the customer a bit of security if they were to have a problem. We are in a bad area to sell from as well without a store in town. we are near several lakes drawing people but we live in a very rural area. we also don't want to have people driving in and out of here all the time. We also use facebook. that was a GREAT addition to our sales. we started with craigslist but have slowed the sales there quite a bit. it tends to attract a lot of spam emails and people wanting to know "your bottom dollar" I know more failure etsy stories than success stories but that also corresponds equally with any small business. Let me know if you have any other questions and I will do all I can to help.
It seems I am a coarse thread bolt in a world of fine threaded nuts!

Making a living with a manual mill can be done!

POSTON WIDEHEAD

The ones I have luck at are:

Craig's List
Etsy
Face Book
The Highway
The older I get I wish my body could Re-Gen.

5quarter

I checked out "the highway". What exactly are you selling there buddy?

www.the-highway.com
What is this leisure time of which you speak?
Blue Harbor Refinishing

Seaman

Is there a " for sale" facebook site, or do you guys just sell from your page?

I am trying to get a better hold on the social media for business. We love Yucon's FB page !

FRank
Lucas dedicated slabber
Woodmizer LT40HD
John Deere 5310 W/ FEL
Semper Fi

69bronco

Thanks guys, you can always count on good feedback here!

yukon cornelius

Quote from: Seaman on April 19, 2015, 07:39:11 AM

I am trying to get a better hold on the social media for business. We love Yucon's FB page !

FRank

Once you get enough likes (around 500 I think) they let you enable a shop now button. that Is a link directly to your website. for us, our etsy page. Mostly it is just advertising. we post what we have made or take orders for things through private messages. Have a personal page that you share your business stuff to. FB doesn't like when your page is growing big organically (their words, without boosting them financially) so they limit your post reach. If you share to you personal page then people will see it anyway. Keep your fb page fun and interactive. If a person doesnt like or comment in 30 days then your post fall out of their feed. Engage your crowd.

POSTON WIDEHEAD

Quote from: 5quarter on April 19, 2015, 01:52:01 AM
I checked out "the highway". What exactly are you selling there buddy?

www.the-highway.com

What I meant was, I sell stuff on the highway in front of my house. :)

POSTON WIDEHEAD

Quote from: Seaman on April 19, 2015, 07:39:11 AM

FRank

Frank, you need to search FB.

We have, where I live:

BUY, SELL, TRADE IN AND AROUND TORK COUNTY
ONE MAN'S JUNK OF YORK COUNTY

Check Out this guys site.
https://www.facebook.com/Cosbycedarfurnitureandcrafts?fref=ts
There are a lot more.

You can make your own page.

For example and this is just an example.....

Frank's Freaky Furniture. :)
Once you have your own page, invite all your friends to like it and follow it.
Have your contact info and the whole 9 yards. Post pics and how you build things. There are so many things you can put on your page to strike interest.
Once you friends like your page, their friends see it and their friends......its just like I've said before.....its like a spider web.

Before you know it, you'll be selling stuff and maybe shipping things.  8)

Seaman

Post on, we already have a business fb page titled Unique woodcuts of appalachia. I put our work on there and get a lot of interest, although I haven't sold anything directly from the site. I am looking at Shop Tab, and a few others. As we build our inventory, I would like to show a lot more online.
Jeff has done a great job boosting our website, we are working on getting a lot more inventory on there also. I assume there are also ways to link them all together.
Thanks for the input!
Lucas dedicated slabber
Woodmizer LT40HD
John Deere 5310 W/ FEL
Semper Fi

POSTON WIDEHEAD

Thanks Frank. I just liked your page on FB. I am now a follower!  8)
I'm glad you told me about it. I'll get a cup of coffee and my box of Chocolate covered Cherries and look at you page.

Thanks again!

yukon cornelius

A website will be in our future also but I am too scared to ask what it might cost. It may just pay for itself though. I believe social media is the way of the future. At least the immediate future.

WDH

A good web page will dramatically increase your exposure.
Woodmizer LT40HDD35, John Deere 2155, Kubota M5-111, Kubota L2501, Nyle L53 Dehumidification Kiln, and a passion for all things with leafs, twigs, and bark.  hamsleyhardwood.com

Cedarman

80 to 90% of our business is a result of my website.  My daughter takes care of it  every year or two.  Hosting is $125.00 per year.  CHEAP!!!!  I advertise for logs locally and it costs a lot more than that per year.
We keep 6 to 9 people busy all year.  But we do not sell finished goods unless you consider T&G finshed goods.
Tough to sell items one at a time.  So I understand the difficulties of selling your wares.
I am in the pink when sawing cedar.

yukon cornelius

$125!! that is cheap. Cedarman, you are a great inspiration for us! you are the one who got us to really push shipping our big items. That is why this forum is such a great place. everyone here is willing to help out with any knowledge they have

downsouth

Great info in this post, thanks guys.

Ianab

The $125 about right for the domain / basic web site hosting.  But that only gets you the domain and some space on a web server. Someone still needs to set up and administer the page content, in Cedarman's case his daughter. If you have to hire someone to do that work on a regular basis, that starts costing a bit of money.
Weekend warrior, Peterson JP test pilot, Dolmar 7900 and Stihl MS310 saws and  the usual collection of power tools :)

BradMarks

Folks, if anyone on this forum is looking to have a website built, I strongly recommend contacting Jeff, our Forum Founder.  He not only can and will, he HAS constructed many a revelevant and productive website, including ours. You have to go no farther than this website (FF) to realize that.  He's got skills, 'nuff said.  And if anybody in today's world thinks $125,$250 or even $500 will get it done, that is wishful thinking. Brad.

BradMarks

uh, I meant relevant and productive webite. Where's spellcheck when you could have used it?

WDH

Yes, the Boss is the best.
Woodmizer LT40HDD35, John Deere 2155, Kubota M5-111, Kubota L2501, Nyle L53 Dehumidification Kiln, and a passion for all things with leafs, twigs, and bark.  hamsleyhardwood.com

POSTON WIDEHEAD

Quote from: WDH on April 20, 2015, 09:14:11 PM
Yes, the Boss is the best.

He's a Genius but don't tell him.  ;)

yukon cornelius

When we are ready, if he is willing, Jeff is the one we will have do it.

Cedarman

If you look at the money I spent putting my daughter through college, Jeff would be dirt cheap.  At least, with my daughter, I am getting some of my investment back.
The point is that a good website is the most important marketing tool you can have.  imho.
Jeff is my backup plan if and when I would need him.
Most of us are working in rural areas where labor is cheap,  and wood, sawmills, woodworking places are common.  But out east, and in the cities, people have money to spend on luxuries.   When I quote, most of the time, they think it is very reasonable.  Price is very seldom a sticking point.  Timeliness, is more important.
I am in the pink when sawing cedar.

hackberry jake

I just started a FB earlier this year. Are we allowed to post FB pages?
https://www.facebook.com/TripleTreeWoodworks

EZ Boardwalk Jr. With 20hp Honda, 25' of track, and homemade setworks. 32x18 sawshed. 24x40 insulated shop. 30hp kubota with fel. 1978 Massey ferguson 230.

Ianab

You can put your FB page in your profile so a link to it comes up on every post.  ;)
Weekend warrior, Peterson JP test pilot, Dolmar 7900 and Stihl MS310 saws and  the usual collection of power tools :)

hackberry jake

Quote from: Ianab on April 23, 2015, 07:41:19 PM
You can put your FB page in your profile so a link to it comes up on every post.  ;)
smiley_thumbsup

EZ Boardwalk Jr. With 20hp Honda, 25' of track, and homemade setworks. 32x18 sawshed. 24x40 insulated shop. 30hp kubota with fel. 1978 Massey ferguson 230.

ozarkgem

Never heard of etsy and I am not on facelift so I guess I am doomed. Oh well I have too much to do now. This is as far as I allow technology to invade my life.
Mighty Mite Band Mill, Case Backhoe, 763 Bobcat, Ford 3400 w/FEL , 1962 Ford 4000, Int dump truck, Clark forklift, lots of trailers. Stihl 046 Magnum, 029 Stihl. complete machine shop to keep everything going.

yukon cornelius

Quote from: ozarkgem on April 23, 2015, 08:13:26 PM
Never heard of etsy and I am not on facelift so I guess I am doomed. Oh well I have too much to do now. This is as far as I allow technology to invade my life.

I was not on facebook until last july or august. I despise it for much more than the business aspect of it. it is just like anything else though. take the good with the bad. it was good for business though.

Ax- man

I am in the same boat as the OP . I make lathe items, benches and some chainsaw carvings. It is hard to sell these things in my area. I have been wanting to try some on-line sales.

I haven't tried ETSY yet and was wondering how fast items sell on that site??? or do they just sit there months at a time before they sell??? I don't want anything to do with E-Bay. I have tried craft sales but not much luck at those either. I have tried consignment sales with mixed results in some local shops but their commissions are pretty steep and don't leave any meat on the bone if an item does sell. I haven't tried getting a booth at a craft mall yet and was wondering if someone has tried that???

I know I can't afford a website, I have no clue how to get on FB either. I'd like to continue my little part time wood sales business because I do enjoy it but I am getting discouraged because there doesn't seem to be any kind of real market for unique one of a kind wood items. I really can't see doing it as just a hobby to occupy my time because of cost and the purchase of tools. I don't expect to get rich just a little something extra to make some money on the side.

yukon cornelius

Quote from: Ax- man on April 26, 2015, 12:47:02 PM
I am in the same boat as the OP . I make lathe items, benches and some chainsaw carvings. It is hard to sell these things in my area. I have been wanting to try some on-line sales.

I haven't tried ETSY yet and was wondering how fast items sell on that site??? or do they just sit there months at a time before they sell??? I don't want anything to do with E-Bay. I have tried craft sales but not much luck at those either. I have tried consignment sales with mixed results in some local shops but their commissions are pretty steep and don't leave any meat on the bone if an item does sell. I haven't tried getting a booth at a craft mall yet and was wondering if someone has tried that???

I know I can't afford a website, I have no clue how to get on FB either. I'd like to continue my little part time wood sales business because I do enjoy it but I am getting discouraged because there doesn't seem to be any kind of real market for unique one of a kind wood items. I really can't see doing it as just a hobby to occupy my time because of cost and the purchase of tools. I don't expect to get rich just a little something extra to make some money on the side.

sometimes items do sit on etsy for months. sometimes things sell in no time. Its just getting the price right I guess. we have had booths at the craft/antique malls and never made the booth fee at any of them. we gave up on that route. the only items we ever sold there were some toys my son wanted to get rid of.  shows in the summertime and fall festivals are usually good. we have one this weekend.

jueston

Quote from: yukon cornelius on April 27, 2015, 10:23:09 PM
Quote from: Ax- man on April 26, 2015, 12:47:02 PM

sometimes items do sit on etsy for months. sometimes things sell in no time. Its just getting the price right I guess. we have had booths at the craft/antique malls and never made the booth fee at any of them. we gave up on that route. the only items we ever sold there were some toys my son wanted to get rid of.  shows in the summertime and fall festivals are usually good. we have one this weekend.

i've sold at a few craft fairs and the like, the only items that have ever sold well enough to justify going are Christmas items: turned ornaments and small gift boxes.

but to me sitting at that booth is like torture... it drives me crazy seeing people walk up, say how nice it is, look at the price and then be shocked. i guess people are so used to cheap Chinese junk the idea of paying for craftsmanship is crazy to them.

Thank You Sponsors!