iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Building my mill...

Started by Kbeitz, April 17, 2015, 07:04:07 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Kbeitz

I got lots of new pella doors to start with. It's going to be built in a very hard spot.
I want it not to far from the mill and i have this small corner that good for nothing.
The back of the building will be level with the ground but the front will be up on post.

Collector and builder of many things.
Love machine shop work
and Wood work shop work
And now a saw mill work

Kwill

Kbeitz i found you a winch.       Craigslist ad removed by Admin.
Built my own hydraulic splitter
Built my own outdoor wood stove
Built my own log arch
built my own bandsaw sawmill
Built my own atv log arch.
Built my own FEL grapple

Kbeitz

But that's only good for 30,000lbs....
Love machine shop work
and Wood work shop work
And now a saw mill work

Kwill

Built my own hydraulic splitter
Built my own outdoor wood stove
Built my own log arch
built my own bandsaw sawmill
Built my own atv log arch.
Built my own FEL grapple

Crusarius

I just had a random thought today on the way to work. Those are nice Pella windows. aren't they intended to block alot of the suns rays and keep it from transferring to much heat? Is that going to be a problem with a solar kiln? could they be mounted inside out?

Just random thoughts. It will probably not make any difference.

Kbeitz

Quote from: Crusarius on May 04, 2017, 07:39:00 AM
I just had a random thought today on the way to work. Those are nice Pella windows. aren't they intended to block alot of the suns rays and keep it from transferring to much heat? Is that going to be a problem with a solar kiln? could they be mounted inside out?

Just random thoughts. It will probably not make any difference.

Thats a Pella's option InsulShield glass ordered special.

These doors I have has shades built inside the glass.
I wont be using the shades.
Love machine shop work
and Wood work shop work
And now a saw mill work

Ox

K, for simplicity's sake I'd build at 45°.  Those few degrees to get "perfect" for summer and winter won't make much difference at all.  This way it'll be close all the time instead of being quite a ways off in one season or t'other.

A while ago I was thinking of putting up solar panels for electricity and was studying all the "optimum angles" and then realized that we were only talking about a few points of efficiency over a large number of angle so it wasn't worth it to me to build and maintain trackers and all that crap.  I never did anything like this cause life happened.  You know how that works around here.
K.I.S.S. - Keep It Simple Stupid
Use it up, wear it out, make it do or do without
1989 GMC 3500 4x4 diesel dump and plow truck, 1964 Oliver 1600 Industrial with Parsons loader and backhoe, 1986 Zetor 5211, Cat's Claw sharpener, single tooth setter, homemade Linn Lumber 1900 style mill, old tools

gww

I agree with ox,  I also put my solar panals facing a tiny bit furthure east then true south for the same reason which was to do better in winter then in summer.
Cheers
gww

grouch

Quote from: Ga Mtn Man on April 14, 2017, 08:28:59 AM
Beitzing:  The act of cutting a timber into a bizarre and unnatural twist.

The are self-stickering.

What I want to see is Kbeitz Bibbying a DanG oversized log so he can take big Beitz out of it!

Kbeitz:
Thank you for sharing all of this!

Glad I stumbled on it before building -- my idea was to treat it as a coarse threading operation, just taking a little off with each pass. Pick feed per revolution or threads per inch just as with an engine lathe (except here the cutter moves fast, the carriage and work move slow) and let the chips fly. I still think that would work, but not nearly as well as what you've done.

Yours wastes less, can cut boards that have a twist to match the remaining center post, and could *still* do the incremental threading operation. Bravo!

Hey, maybe that's a way for you to get multiple revolutions in the twist. Start with an octagon and just shave 1/8 inch or less per cut so the cut-off is too flexible to bind or twist your blade. Imagining a cross section of the blade in the cut, the tooth is carving out the path and the trailing edge of the blade just has to fit in the arc of the kerf so it doesn't force the tooth downward. With very thin cuts, the board shouldn't be able to twist the blade out of horizontal.

Just excellent work and excellently documented. Thanks again!
(Gotta go finish reading the rest of the thread).
Find something to do that interests you.

SineWave

Quote from: Kbeitz on May 02, 2017, 08:09:13 PM
Quote from: ChugiakTinkerer on May 02, 2017, 07:47:32 PM
According to Google Maps, the intersection of State and Main is at 41°07'13.4"N

https://www.google.com/maps/place/41%C2%B007'13.4%22N+76%C2%B031'48.8%22W/@41.120397,-76.5313233,18z/data=!3m1!4b1!4m5!3m4!1s0x0:0x0!8m2!3d41.120395!4d-76.530229

But that still does not tell me what angle that I should use...

According to an article I saved some years back from

https://www.homepower.com/solar-water-heating

"A tilt angle equal to latitude makes the surface of collectors or modules perpendicular to the sun's rays on the equinoxes at noon, often appropriate for year-round production...Increased tilt angles favor winter production, and lower angles favor summer production. If the collection surface is tilted at an angle equal to latitude plus or minus 23.5°, the surface will be perpendicular to the sun at noon on the respective solstices."

Since your part of PA is at about 41.1° N latitude, a good year-round angle would be 41° ...

Alternately, if you want to gather as much heat as possible in winter, at the cost of less heat-gathering in summer, you could add 23.5° to your latitude of 41.1° for 64.6°

Kbeitz

Love machine shop work
and Wood work shop work
And now a saw mill work

SineWave

In my last line, I made a mistake in carrying over the obliquity of the ecliptic of 23.5°...fixed now, though it's not as diabolical...

gww

K

I also made a mistake.  I ment to say that I made my panels face a tiny bit more west to take better advantage during summer.  I said east in my earlier post.  My view was due to the shorter hours during winter, I would have a little bit more of an even daily output rather then just go for max yearly output. 
Good luck.

Kbeitz

I sawed some walnut today. I broke a blade on the second cut.
I have a problem that I never had before. Build up on my band
wheels. It build up enough that it broke the blade before I knew
it. These old log has been laying on the ground for around 15
years. Anyone have build up problems from walnut?

Love machine shop work
and Wood work shop work
And now a saw mill work

btulloh

I get build up from almost everything.  If I wasn't sawing a lot SYP in between hardwood it might be different.  I just get rid of the build up fairly often.  The build up on the belts doesn't seem to cause much trouble unless I let go too long.
HM126

Magicman

I would say that your blade was cracked in the gullet and was one cut away from breaking when you started.  If bandwheel buildup broke blades, I would not have any blades left.  Buildup is a way of life.  My bandwheels always get brushed and cleaned every time a blade comes off.
Knothole Sawmill, LLC     '98 Wood-Mizer LT40SuperHydraulic   WM Million BF Club Member   WM Pro Sawyer Network

It's Weird being the Same Age as Old People

Never allow your "need" to make money to exceed your "desire" to provide quality service.....The Magicman

Kbeitz

Quote from: Magicman on May 08, 2017, 10:11:15 PM
I would say that your blade was cracked in the gullet and was one cut away from breaking when you started.  If bandwheel buildup broke blades, I would not have any blades left.  Buildup is a way of life.  My bandwheels always get brushed and cleaned every time a blade comes off.

Very well could be. This was the blade I was using to make all my twisted octagons with.
Love machine shop work
and Wood work shop work
And now a saw mill work

Kbeitz

I had to find an easy way to move this log twisting beast. Way to heavy to lift
and way to long to pick it up with my tractor. Two bolts holds the wheels on
and two bolts holds the hitch on. My log turner can pick it up off the wheels
and on to the mill with no problem.

Love machine shop work
and Wood work shop work
And now a saw mill work

Kbeitz

I'm needing to cut a 26 foot beam for my shop floor. My new log roller
sure makes things easier. This was all done with my 15hp Kubota.
I lifted one end of the log up and chained it fast to the trailer so
it would stay and then lifted the other end up onto the trailer.
You don't need a large tractor to get things done. You just find a
way to do it.

Love machine shop work
and Wood work shop work
And now a saw mill work

Kbeitz

Well I wanted to report on using 4° blades. I bought a box this winter and
I'm just now getting aroubd to using them. I wanted to finish up my 7°
blades first. I was sceptical about how much better people with low powered
mills was saying they were. First I sawed out 8 Walnut logs and I hit a chunk
of steel. I kept sawing anyway and i really did not see where the metal hurt
anything. Then I sawed out this 26 foot long 8X8" beam. well i gotta say these
blades are cutting flatter than anything i have used so far. Really nice cuts. But
I did notice that it really slowed me down. It seem like it takes a lot more HP to
run these blades. I bet I lost at least 1/3 of my speed. But I'm not complaining
because I'm not fast anyway and I like the nice flat cut. I'm sure glad to finish
up this large log. The big ones sure is a lot of work...

Love machine shop work
and Wood work shop work
And now a saw mill work

grouch

My experience (ha!) with 4 degree blades is similar to yours -- slower feed but nice flat cut. Got mine from Kasco and have been very pleased with them. I'm running just 7 HP.
Find something to do that interests you.

SineWave

What's that steam-engined looking vehicle you snuck in there in that first photo from this morning?

Ox

Where did you get your blades from?
1989 GMC 3500 4x4 diesel dump and plow truck, 1964 Oliver 1600 Industrial with Parsons loader and backhoe, 1986 Zetor 5211, Cat's Claw sharpener, single tooth setter, homemade Linn Lumber 1900 style mill, old tools

Kbeitz

Love machine shop work
and Wood work shop work
And now a saw mill work

Ox

Funny - I'm ordering some Kasco 4s today... I'm looking forward to them.

Thank You Sponsors!