Sponsors:

Building my mill...

Started by Kbeitz, April 17, 2015, 07:04:07 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Kbeitz

Quote from: fishfighter on April 18, 2017, 07:56:04 PM
Quote from: Kbeitz on April 18, 2017, 06:49:58 PM
Quote from: etroup10 on April 18, 2017, 02:13:26 PM
Awesome kbeitz!! I really need to make the short trip over and check it out sometime!!

I do a fair amount of cycle ridding in Central, PA

How the heck you can find time doing that when you already doing the work of 5 men? ;D Heck, when do you sleep? :D

By any chance can you fix a broken heart? Got out this morning to set some post. Dug two holes with a post hole digger and had to call it a day. >:( Yep, DanG very bad day. >:(

Some days I say enough is enough and go for a cycle ride... Old Honda 400... Love it.
Collector and builder of many things.
Love machine shop work
and Wood work shop work
And now a saw mill work

etroup10

Quote from: Kbeitz on April 18, 2017, 06:49:58 PM
Quote from: etroup10 on April 18, 2017, 02:13:26 PM
Awesome kbeitz!! I really need to make the short trip over and check it out sometime!!

I do a fair amount of cycle ridding in Central, PA

If you are go for a ride through the Richfield/Mcalisterville area let me know!
NHLA 187th class, lumber inspector. EZ Boardwalk 40 with homemade hydraulics; Gafner Hydraloader; custom built edger, Massey Ferguson 50E, American Sawmill 20" Pony Planer; Husqvarna 55 Rancher

fishfighter

Well, you didn't say if you could fix a broken heart. ;D

They wanted to put one of those LVAD's in me a few years ago. Passed that up and glad I did. Even the transplant team is glad I did. ;D So it is day to day operations with me.

Oh, was just up dating the wife on your post. She even says they are outstanding. ;D

Ox

You said Honda 400 and brought back memories.  I started motorcycles with a 1972 Honda 350 twin Scrambler.  It was given to me in several boxes in pieces and a rolling frame.  I put it all back together (without a manual) and got her running again and put her on the road when I was 17.  It would redline at 10,500 rpm.  Rode like crap and handled like it too.
Never wrecked it, though!  Incredible. 

I'm glad we've got who we've got on this here forum.
K.I.S.S. - Keep It Simple Stupid
Use it up, wear it out, make it do or do without
1989 GMC 3500 4x4 diesel dump and plow truck, 1964 Oliver 1600 Industrial with Parsons loader and backhoe, 1986 Zetor 5211, Cat's Claw sharpener, single tooth setter, homemade Linn Lumber 1900 style mill, old tools

Kbeitz

Quote from: fishfighter on April 18, 2017, 08:22:34 PM
Well, you didn't say if you could fix a broken heart. ;D

They wanted to put one of those LVAD's in me a few years ago. Passed that up and glad I did. Even the transplant team is glad I did. ;D So it is day to day operations with me.

Oh, was just up dating the wife on your post. She even says they are outstanding. ;D

My fix for your heart would be a Dominican woman...
Or maybe not... Seeing that you already got a good woman...
Love machine shop work
and Wood work shop work
And now a saw mill work

Kbeitz

Quote from: Ox on April 18, 2017, 08:55:07 PM
You said Honda 400 and brought back memories.  I started motorcycles with a 1972 Honda 350 twin Scrambler.  It was given to me in several boxes in pieces and a rolling frame.  I put it all back together (without a manual) and got her running again and put her on the road when I was 17.  It would redline at 10,500 rpm.  Rode like crap and handled like it too.
Never wrecked it, though!  Incredible. 

I'm glad we've got who we've got on this here forum.

I got this for a cool $1000.00... Check the millage.
An older guy had it stored in his kitchen.

Love machine shop work
and Wood work shop work
And now a saw mill work

Czech_Made

Kbeitz

Love machine shop work
and Wood work shop work
And now a saw mill work

SineWave

Nice...that's barely broken in!

I ride a Suzuki DR650 enduro bike...

Ox

I had an 81 Yamaha 650 Heritage Midnight Special that looked exactly like your bike.  Funny how they all had the same basic shapes year to year, most of them anyways.

You got a decent deal on that bike for that money and mileage.  I bet it's a decent ride, good handling and decent MPG to boot.
1989 GMC 3500 4x4 diesel dump and plow truck, 1964 Oliver 1600 Industrial with Parsons loader and backhoe, 1986 Zetor 5211, Cat's Claw sharpener, single tooth setter, homemade Linn Lumber 1900 style mill, old tools

SlowJoeCrow

K,

As mentioned numerously before, this is fantastic, amazing job!! I'm sure you could sell a lot of twisted posts, there are so many possibilities.  In my opinion, you should consider a patent on your device.  Depending on where you want to go with this and what you want to do, you could also contact the mill manufacturers with your design.  I could see this as an addon accessory much like the Woodmizer lathe-mizer.  Congrats on your success, where you go with this is totally up to you!

mad murdock

amazing results!  That is what i call putting a new twist on an age old skill.
Turbosawmill M6 (now M8) Warrior Ultra liteweight, Granberg Alaskan III, lots of saws-gas powered and human powered :D

Kbeitz

As promised here is pictures of the gas powered winch that I'm building.
I got it almost finished. It will fit in any class 3 hitch. I got a very large
free walnut tree given to me but its in a very hard place to get it out.
I'm hoping this will help. Again this is all junkyard stuff except the fairlead.

Love machine shop work
and Wood work shop work
And now a saw mill work

Ljohnsaw

Cool, but could you explain how it works?  The motor is belted to a transmission or is that just a gear reducer?  Direct or is there a cetrifical clutch (I don't see one)?  The big lever - is that the brake for the drum?  Is there some sort of forward/reverse or is it just free wheeling for payout?
John Sawicky

Just North-East of Sacramento...

SkyTrak 9038, Ford 545D FEL, Davis Little Monster backhoe, Case 16+4 Trencher, Home Built 42" capacity/36" cut Bandmill up to 54' long - using it all to build a timber frame cabin.

Kbeitz

No clutch needed... Long handle is brake. These little tyrannys come in handy for lots
of things.

http://www.eaton.com/FR/ecm/groups/public/@pub/@eaton/@hyd/documents/content/pll_1616.pdf

Love machine shop work
and Wood work shop work
And now a saw mill work

Ljohnsaw

OK, You are the winner of the best collection of things ever.  No one is even close to you.  Never knew such a small, simple thing existed.  Wish I had one or two.
John Sawicky

Just North-East of Sacramento...

SkyTrak 9038, Ford 545D FEL, Davis Little Monster backhoe, Case 16+4 Trencher, Home Built 42" capacity/36" cut Bandmill up to 54' long - using it all to build a timber frame cabin.

Kbeitz

Quote from: ljohnsaw on April 22, 2017, 12:38:07 AM
OK, You are the winner of the best collection of things ever.  No one is even close to you.  Never knew such a small, simple thing existed.  Wish I had one or two.

I have around 6 of them on the shelf. It's one thing I really watch for in the
junkyard. They came in some Garden tractors back in the 60-70's.
Other equipment also had them. Some come hooked right fast to the axle
like this one. This one came out of a powered wheel barrow.
I'm going to make a but buggy out of it...

Love machine shop work
and Wood work shop work
And now a saw mill work

Ox

Kbeitz

I took a break and went to Pa plow days today...

Love machine shop work
and Wood work shop work
And now a saw mill work

Ox

Nice pics.  It's hilarious how they're avoiding and going around that little puddle.

Kbeitz

Well you wouldn't want to get any dirt on you'r tractor...
I Bet there was 200 tractors there...

Love machine shop work
and Wood work shop work
And now a saw mill work

thecfarm

An event that I would have enjoyed!!!
Model 6020-20hp Manual Thomas bandsaw,TC40A 4wd 40 hp New Holland tractor, 450 Norse Winch, Heatmor 400 OWB,YCC 1978-79

SineWave

They do something similar north of here at the Tuckahoe Steam and Gas Association show...you see some amazing old equipment there!

Holy cow, I just checked for those Eaton 11 hydrostatic transmissions on ebay...they ain't cheap, even all ragged out. This bugs me to no end, because I could swear that somewhere along the line, I threw one of them away. It sure looks familiar... Can you still get parts to rebuild them KBeitz?

Kbeitz

Quote from: SineWave on April 23, 2017, 08:56:43 AM
They do something similar north of here at the Tuckahoe Steam and Gas Association show...you see some amazing old equipment there!

Holy cow, I just checked for those Eaton 11 hydrostatic transmissions on ebay...they ain't cheap, even all ragged out. This bugs me to no end, because I could swear that somewhere along the line, I threw one of them away. It sure looks familiar... Can you still get parts to rebuild them KBeitz?

There is another little tranny called sunstrand. You can also find them on E-bay.
Parts are for sell for them there also. If you do a search on e-bay for...

Simplicity 7016 Sundstrand transmission

you see one. Its a different company but it looks the same.

Then if you search for...

Massey-Ferguson-1650-Tractor-Eaton-1100-025-Transmission

You will see that it looks almost like the same thing
Love machine shop work
and Wood work shop work
And now a saw mill work

SineWave

Thanks, Kevin. Interesting that the one they want $325 for looks like it went through the war compared to the $85 jobbie.

So those transmissions are pretty durable? I was always leery of hydrostatic trannies in lawn tractors, at least until I got one...

At the Tuckahoe Steam and Gas show, they had these cool powered machines called "David Bradley"s ... never saw one before but they were pretty neat.

Thank You Sponsors!