iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Building my mill...

Started by Kbeitz, April 17, 2015, 07:04:07 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Kbeitz

Hard to find time to work on the mill these days.

I got the pulley mounted behind the clutch today.

I started on the alternator shelf bracket but I did not get it finished.

Pictures will be not far behind...
Collector and builder of many things.
Love machine shop work
and Wood work shop work
And now a saw mill work

Ox

As long as you do at least one little thing every day you can it will eventually get done.  It's a certainty! 
I look forward to the updates and pics - thanks.
K.I.S.S. - Keep It Simple Stupid
Use it up, wear it out, make it do or do without
1989 GMC 3500 4x4 diesel dump and plow truck, 1964 Oliver 1600 Industrial with Parsons loader and backhoe, 1986 Zetor 5211, Cat's Claw sharpener, single tooth setter, homemade Linn Lumber 1900 style mill, old tools

gww

Quote from ox
QuoteI look forward to the updates and pics - thanks

x2
gww

Kbeitz

Alternator is mounted....

Love machine shop work
and Wood work shop work
And now a saw mill work

Kbeitz

Today I changed the look ....
I give it a home....

Love machine shop work
and Wood work shop work
And now a saw mill work

gww

It might have been neat to just go ahead and add an airconditioner compressor when you added the altinator.  You are well on your way to incloseing it :laugh:  I love that you give lots of pictures from lots of angles. Then you don't have to say much.
Cheers
gww

Ox

Looks great, bub.  One question - is that a special clutch?  My clutch mounts the other way around and I now don't have room for an alternator belt pulley like you have mounted.  My clutch basically takes up the whole shaft with the exception of about 3 machine washers to space it up to the end of the shaft for the single bolt in the end to clamp it all down tight.
I'd like to have mine like yours.
1989 GMC 3500 4x4 diesel dump and plow truck, 1964 Oliver 1600 Industrial with Parsons loader and backhoe, 1986 Zetor 5211, Cat's Claw sharpener, single tooth setter, homemade Linn Lumber 1900 style mill, old tools

Kbeitz

Quote from: Ox on May 25, 2015, 08:41:16 PM
Looks great, bub.  One question - is that a special clutch?  My clutch mounts the other way around and I now don't have room for an alternator belt pulley like you have mounted.  My clutch basically takes up the whole shaft with the exception of about 3 machine washers to space it up to the end of the shaft for the single bolt in the end to clamp it all down tight.
I'd like to have mine like yours.

Not special ... You can turn any clutch around. It's better to do this to help keep the stress of the engine bearings.
You see this a lot on racing gocarts. They alway flip the clutch around backwards. I did not have room for the alternator belt pulley eather. I machined a pulley to fit up on the back of the engine crank  journal that was not machined.

Love machine shop work
and Wood work shop work
And now a saw mill work

Ox

I see now.  That's the problem I have as well, with the shoulder on the output shaft of the engine. 
I understand that a centrifugal clutch doesn't care which way it spins.
Thanks for taking the time to answer my questions.  Most times the simplest and most effective solution escapes me.

After going out and looking at my clutch again, it's mounted the same way as yours.  I remembered it all backwards and upside down and twisted and knotted and.......

Kbeitz

Love machine shop work
and Wood work shop work
And now a saw mill work

GAmillworker

great build just saw this post

We love pics

Thanks for posting
Thank the Lord for second chances

Kbeitz

I got a question. My mill will have a 24 volts system.
This is needed to run my moving motors. I using two 12 volt battery's in series.
But I would I also like to add a 12 volt electric hydraulic system for my log loader lifter.
Will I be messing with the charging system if I tap only one battery for my 12 volts?
I cant think of a way to tap both battery's for 12 V and 24 V with out a direct short.

Love machine shop work
and Wood work shop work
And now a saw mill work

justallan1

Can you just come off of your 24 volt system and use a regulator/reducer to get your 12 volts?
Just an idea.

pineywoods

K, you can do that and it will work, but there is a downside. Battery life will be severly impacted. The battery providing the 12 volts will be discharged while the other remains fully charged. The alternator only sees a 24 volt battery and will try to rechage both, resulting in over charging one and not fully charging the other.
1995 Wood Mizer LT 40, Liquid cooled kawasaki,homebuilt hydraulics. Homebuilt solar dry kiln.  Woodmaster 718 planner, Kubota M4700 with homemade forks and winch, stihl  028, 029, Ms390
100k bd ft club.Charter member of The Grumpy old Men

Ox

Could you use a household light dimmer switch to regulate the voltage to whatever you want?.
I've done this with a blower/vent fan for variable speed operation.
It goes all the way from off to full-on. 

Kbeitz

Guess I'll just use a flip flop switch...
I'll use one battery for an hour and flip a switch to the second battery...
Or I could just put a timmer on it and let it switch it's self...
The only thing that really needs to use the 12volts is the log lifter...
Everything else will be 24 volts...
Love machine shop work
and Wood work shop work
And now a saw mill work

gww

google voltage reducers.  I don't think they are very high and I also think they are not that hard to make depending on the amprage used.  If it uses a lot though it will fun into money.

Depends on how much you want to spend. My charge contollers for my solar would do it but they cost $500 each.  If it is low amp pull you could take from a 24 volt system and have no battery imballance.

It was mentioned earlier in this thread.
Good luck
gww

Kbeitz

I dont think I'm aloud to post a link to E-bay, but I found this for sale...
Would it work ?

Title.
DC-DC 120W 24V To 12V 10A GOLF CART Voltage Reducer Converter Regulator

Features:
* All epoxy sealed containers with waterproof die-cast aluminum housing;
* Light compact, convenient to use and transport;
* Non-isolated:
* High efficiency: > 90%;
* Operating temperature: -10 ℃ ~ +60 ℃; (max.+80 ℃)
* With overload / over-current / over / low voltage protection, stable performance;
* Input:DC 24V
* Output:DC12V 10Amax

DC-DC 120W 24V To 12V 10A GOLF CART Voltage Reducer Converter Regulator

Cheap enough... US $13.95 Shipping free...

Love machine shop work
and Wood work shop work
And now a saw mill work

Ianab

How many amps does the hydraulic motor need? I suspect it's a lot more than the 10 amps that unit is good for.

Thats the sort of thing you would use to run a 12V radio from a 24v truck system (or golf cart). I'd guess a motor that could drive log loader might need 50-100 amps?

Are you able to swap the hydraulic drive motor for a 24 volt one?
Weekend warrior, Peterson JP test pilot, Dolmar 7900 and Stihl MS310 saws and  the usual collection of power tools :)

Kbeitz

Quote from: Ianab on May 28, 2015, 03:42:09 AM
How many amps does the hydraulic motor need? I suspect it's a lot more than the 10 amps that unit is good for.

Thats the sort of thing you would use to run a 12V radio from a 24v truck system (or golf cart). I'd guess a motor that could drive log loader might need 50-100 amps?

Are you able to swap the hydraulic drive motor for a 24 volt one?

Yea your right... The biggest I can find is 20 amp...

I still don't see why I cant slap a HUGE diode in the 12 volt line to tap both battery's.
If it does its job and lets the electric travel only one way I don't see how it could backfeed back to the battery...

Cheap on E-bay... WESTCODE SILICON RECTIFIER DIODE - SW08PHN300 -- 380amps

Love machine shop work
and Wood work shop work
And now a saw mill work

gww

K
Earlyer you said every thing else would run on 12 volts.  Why not sell your altinator and just go 12 volts and your issues are done.  the big diode would stop any back feed to the battery but the twelve volt hydrolic would still be getting 24 volts.  If you use a diode you need to find a heavy heat sink cause it will need it.
gww

valley ranch

Justallan was describing/suggesting stepping down from 24 to 12 volts, that should do the job.

Kbeitz

All my movement (carriage up and down... Carriage right and left) is powered with 24 volt wheelchair motors.
My log lift hydraulics was going to be 12 volts.

So tell me why this wont work ???

Love machine shop work
and Wood work shop work
And now a saw mill work

InterMechanico

It will be easier than that, Kbeitz. If you wire two 12v batteries in series, you get a maximum voltage of 24 volts. If you test the voltage across the posts of the first battery in the series (closest to ground), you'll find that you have only 12 volts available. Use a multimeter to determine your wiring, but drawing 12 volts out of a 24 volt system is straightforward. Bear in mind that the battery that you're drawing 12 volts from will see more loading, so regularly switching the battery position is a good idea to get the longest life from your batteries.

Approaching every job with a mind for completing it :)

Stihl MS290 , MS661 C-M , Glanberg Alaskan MkIII Mill , Home Made Edging Jig , All the safety gear

Andre

I would just get a 24 volt pump and be done with it.  Messing with DC/DC converters or speed controls or remembering to swap batteries is just more stuff to go wrong.
See ya
  Andre' B.

Thank You Sponsors!