iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Coulda been much worse

Started by Jeff, April 17, 2015, 04:14:47 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Jeff

Tammy got a panicked call from her mum this afternoon wanting to know what to do. Tammy took off to stop there on her way to work. This is how I understand what happened. The fellow that Tammy's mom is married to, Gene, asked Sharon to hold a chunk of firewood that was too long for the stove so he could cut it with the chainsaw.  I guess the saw bounced when it hit the dry wood and hit Tammy's mom in the arm. Tammy says it actually looks worse than it is, that is is mostly just hanging skin, and fairly superficial. She got it cleaned up and bandaged. Her mom doesn't want to go to the doctor on it, but she may have to depending on what we find out about the last time she had a tetanus shot.  She was really lucky.  Gene (the saw wielder) is 79.  Tammy's mom is 73.  Like the title of the topic, sure could have been worse, but I think Tammy is probably going to kick Gene's butt and take his saw after this one. He was so upset when it happened that he wasn't much help, and we really didn't know how bad it was so that is why Tammy's mom called her. I guess gene was throwing up and just a mess after it happened during the initial bleeding, and it even wasn't him that got cut.

Just call me the midget doctor.
Forestry Forum Founder and Chief Cook and Bottle Washer.

Commercial circle sawmill sawyer in a past life for 25yrs.
Ezekiel 22:30

ellmoe

Very fortunate. I'll stop there.
Mark
Thirty plus years in the sawmill/millwork business. A sore back and arthritic fingers to prove it!

pabst79

Ouch! I hope she heals up okay!
Not sure which came first, but I have chickens and eggs.

Chuck White

Here's hoping your MIL heals quickly, Jeff.

Looks like a nasty cut, but not too serious, but then all we see is a pic.

So many times, we just don't think it out before we do something that later proves to be foolish.

~Chuck~  Cooks Cat Claw sharpener and single tooth setter.  2018 Chevy Silverado and 2021 Subaru Ascent.
With basic mechanical skills and the ability to read you can maintain a Woodmizer  LT40!

customsawyer

Wow. Got lucky on that one. Could have been much worse.
Two LT70s, Nyle L200 kiln, 4 head Pinheiro planer, 30" double surface Cantek planer, Lucas dedicated slabber, Slabmizer, and enough rolling stock and chainsaws to keep it all running.
www.thecustomsawyer.com

Magicman

Wow, yes it could have been much worse, but it is still pretty bad.  I hope that "both" of them heal up OK.
Knothole Sawmill, LLC     '98 Wood-Mizer LT40SuperHydraulic   WM Million BF Club Member   WM Pro Sawyer Network

It's Weird being the Same Age as Old People

Never allow your "need" to make money to exceed your "desire" to provide quality service.....The Magicman

doctorb

My father once said, "This is my son who wanted to grow up and become a doctor.  So far, he's only become a doctor."

pigman

My advice to Sharon is to let Gene hold the wood and let her use the saw to cut his arm the wood.
Things turn out best for people who make the best of how things turn out.

fishpharmer

Built my own band mill with the help of Forestry Forum. 
Lucas 618 with 50" slabber
WoodmizerLT-40 Super Hydraulic
Deere 5065E mfwd w/553 loader

The reason a lot of people do not recognize opportunity is because it usually goes around wearing overalls looking like hard work. --Tom A. Edison

Ron Scott

~Ron

Hilltop366

Yikes!! Short pieces of wood are the worst. Should have used a hand saw.

clww

Hope she heals up quick, and makes a complete recovery.
Many Stihl Saws-16"-60"
"Go Ask The Other Master Chief"
18-Wheeler Driver

Jeff

I'd be more worried about Gene getting his ass kicked yet by Tammy after he tried to place the blame on Tammy's mum for the incident.  From the additional information I got, The saw may have actually kicked back, and gene flinched back away from it, and  then when the saw came back down from his flinch is when it nicked Tammy's mom.

beenthere

Not good for any two people to work close together when one has a chainsaw. IMO. Very hard to coordinate their movements together.
So I'd think both get some blame for the accident.

Now the game changes if both have a chainsaw...  ;D
south central Wisconsin
It may be that my sole purpose in life is simply to serve as a warning to others

pabst79

I guess the only good thing that comes from accidents like this, is that it serves as a reminder to all of us how dangerous working with chainsaws and power tools really is! I have to admit that before I joined FF I did not have enough respect for chainsaws and using protective gear. Since being here I have learned a great deal about safety, and when I see a pic of an injury like that, I really believe it makes me THINK more when I'm out cutting. I'm sure others must feel the same way. ??? And again I hope everyone heals up okay.
Josh
Not sure which came first, but I have chickens and eggs.

Jeff

Quote from: beenthere on April 20, 2015, 06:35:09 PM

So I'd think both get some blame for the accident.

When one is a 73 year old woman that is not used to being around chainsaws and was asked to do what she did by her husband, who does know the ways of the chainsaw, even though he is near 80. I'd not give her much blame beyond trusting something she shouldn't. I can (almost) guarantee she won't do it again. :)

Corley5

Coulda been worse but still plenty bad enough.  Watch it for infection.
Burnt Gunpowder is the Smell Of Freedom

Jeff

Tammy has been going over from work about every other day to check it and change the bandages.

OneWithWood

Apparently Tammy is showing great restraint.
I was afraid the next pic of an injured body was going to be Gene.  smiley_smash
One With Wood
LT40HDG25, Woodmizer DH4000 Kiln

pine

Never a good thing. Glad it was not worse. It certainly could have been.

Jeff

Quote from: OneWithWood on April 24, 2015, 11:52:50 AM
Apparently Tammy is showing great restraint.
I was afraid the next pic of an injured body was going to be Gene.  smiley_smash

Tammy loves her Mom. I know better than to mess with Tammy. Gene is lucky. Hopefully for him, his luck continues to hold out.

Thank You Sponsors!