Petrified cookie

Started by Tam-i-am, April 17, 2015, 11:31:59 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Tam-i-am

A gentleman near us has given us a petrified cookie that measures 32" x 26" and is 1.5" thick.  He has asked us to design leg/legs for this piece.

Kevin was thinking it might make a nice pedestal table.  What do you think?

The man who gave it to us made a beautiful bench from ipe that was recovered from the Coney Island Boardwalk after Hurricane Sandy.  He has some interesting pieces.  I will have to find the pic for you.
Get Stuff Moving Today!  www.bluecreeper.com  www.facebook.com/Bluecreeper

John Mc

Three legs forming a triangle?

I wonder if you will need a solid surface (or something more extensive than just three points of support) under the petrified cookie to prevent it from cracking, or will the legs themselves provide adequate support?
If the only tool you have is a hammer, you tend to see every problem as a nail.   - Abraham Maslow

Tam-i-am

I found the pic of Seth's bench.  The wood is ipe and he used Alissa style legs.

Tam-i-am

Quote from: John Mc on April 17, 2015, 12:20:22 PM
Three legs forming a triangle?

I wonder if you will need a solid surface (or something more extensive than just three points of support) under the petrified cookie to prevent it from cracking, or will the legs themselves provide adequate support?

John - Kevin is not here for me to ask but on the stools he uses a wide flange to place the seat. I wonder if he used one of them and put wood in between.

Tam-i-am

what do you think of inlaying the cookie into a wood table top?

Ljohnsaw

Nice cookie - didn't know lumberjacks were making slices that long ago!
John Sawicky

Just North-East of Sacramento...

SkyTrak 9038, Ford 545D FEL, Davis Little Monster backhoe, Case 16+4 Trencher, Home Built 42" capacity/36" cut Bandmill up to 54' long - using it all to build a timber frame cabin.

beenthere

Quote from: Tamiam on April 19, 2015, 11:29:01 AM
what do you think of inlaying the cookie into a wood table top?

Sounds like a good idea to me.. less risk of the petrified cookie getting busted and embarrassing a guest who didn't realize it may have been delicate.
But then, being able to get a look at all sides of such a prize piece of history has its advantages too.
south central Wisconsin
It may be that my sole purpose in life is simply to serve as a warning to others

Texas Ranger

Some petrified wood is very delicate, does not take stress or shock well. I suspect to be on the safe side and leave the edges visible a wood cookie under it to hold it level would be the best shot.  A tapered round where it gets close to the edge but barely visible.
The Ranger, home of Texas Forestry

Ianab

I'd be making a sturdy round wooden table top, then tracing around the petrified piece and trimming / sanding the wooden top to match. You could then paint the wood black to match the legs and be inconspicuous under the cookie.
Weekend warrior, Peterson JP test pilot, Dolmar 7900 and Stihl MS310 saws and  the usual collection of power tools :)

Ljohnsaw

Another way would be to make an oval wood table a little larger, with a raised edge high enough for the cookie, then put glass on top.
John Sawicky

Just North-East of Sacramento...

SkyTrak 9038, Ford 545D FEL, Davis Little Monster backhoe, Case 16+4 Trencher, Home Built 42" capacity/36" cut Bandmill up to 54' long - using it all to build a timber frame cabin.

Tam-i-am

Thanks for all your suggestions.  I'll keep you posted and will take pics.

Seth (owner of the piece) sent me this: Arizona petrified wood is 225 million years old, it is a type of
pine....Araucarioxylon arizonicum

Tam-i-am

so the customer gets what the customer wants.  After many phone calls back and forth and two bases, here is the final project.  He didn't want anything to distract from the cookie.  Like many of you suggested I would have inlaid the cookie to protect it.

WDH

Woodmizer LT40HDD35, John Deere 2155, Kubota M5-111, Kubota L2501, Nyle L53 Dehumidification Kiln, and a passion for all things with leafs, twigs, and bark.  hamsleyhardwood.com

Magicman

Knothole Sawmill, LLC     '98 Wood-Mizer LT40SuperHydraulic   WM Million BF Club Member   WM Pro Sawyer Network

It's Weird being the Same Age as Old People

Never allow your "need" to make money to exceed your "desire" to provide quality service.....The Magicman