iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

3325 on a 440D driving me to drink.

Started by BargeMonkey, April 16, 2015, 06:33:19 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

BargeMonkey

Heres my problem and maybe someone can help me figure this out.
Winch band is fine. No oil. Dry.
Found just a little oil in the case when i took it apart, cleaned the band off and put new springs in it.
Adjustment is still to deere specs. The machine isnt being overloaded, but just wont keep a drag. Should i rebuild the cylinder ? Havent had trouble but im scratching my head.
Read thru old posts and have some ideas, just wondering if someones got some tips. 

coxy

BM we run the brake band a little tighter then jd says to but that's on a 3315

teakwood

Any pics? i dont know how similar that winch is to a 3305?
National Stihl Timbersports Champion Costa Rica 2018

MJD

I am not sure my 440c had that winch or not but it did have that problem, the guy I sold it to sad rebuilding the valve that controls the winch fixed that problem. He said the lever (handle) would fall and make the cable creep out.

PaYoungBuck

Maybe glazed on the band or drum?  Take the cover off soak it in white vinegar. Chain on to a stump and drive ahead with the winch locked in hold position. Then winch back in as fast as you can and repeat the driving/winch part til it holds you and spin down. Worth a try.

BargeMonkey

Ive had it apart, ive cleaned it, now monday im going back in.  >:(   154.00 worth of parts sitting at Nortrax  to rebuild the piston, which is probably where i was getting the tiny amount of oil from. going to try the "light groove" trick on the band, slightly overtighten and some baking soda just for good measure. Never had any trouble with that winch for yrs and yrs, sent it in to deere one yr to be gone thru and the mechanic installed the shaft with the winch laying flat, wiped out the seals instantly. put winch on, no good. send it out again, comes back and bolts on the hub wherent tight and it "chucked" when winching in. Im far from impressed with Nortrax.

Ford_man

We had trouble with an old crane with the brakes not holding , we used Borax powder hand cleaner and it would work for a while. But it was getting grease on it and it was out in the open.

justincase

I Have gone around and around with the winch on my 440d and probably you will see some old posts about it. Just last week same thing happened to me little bit of oil and wouldn't hold a drag. The little seal at the swivel fitting is very prone to weeping and a little oil drips down the drum onto the band and the band for me is always junk for me. I also replaced the seal in the slave cylinder because it weeped a little.  I have tried baking, scuffing, brake clean, speedi dry and nothing works except a new band. I even tried a new reman band and it didn't hold. Went and got another and holds perfect. I changed mine to a cover from a 440c winch which has a different type of swivel and was told it will last much longer. It doesn't take much oil to give you big problems. I leave 2 bolts in my cover and pull it once a week to check for oil. Bands are too expensive not to.

justincase

Curious how you made out with your winch Bargemonkey. I am always looking for ideas for my next problem. Lol

BargeMonkey

Quote from: justincase on April 22, 2015, 08:11:03 PM
Curious how you made out with your winch Bargemonkey. I am always looking for ideas for my next problem. Lol
Cooked the band, scuffed it up and adjusted a little tighter than JD specs. Only got 1 small drag with it and im shutdown with the mud right now. After the JD tech got his fingers in that winch ive had alot of trouble. Newer 640G3-H will be coming at somepoint.  :D

lopet

Quote from: BargeMonkey on April 23, 2015, 09:57:55 PM

Cooked the band

How did that turn out ? Or did you take off for the boat ?  :D
Make sure you know how to fall properly when you fall and as to not hurt anyone around you.
Also remember, it's not the fall what hurts, its the sudden stop. !!

BargeMonkey

Seemed  ok, 1hr @ 350, little smoke but didnt really have any oil on it anyway. Only got 1 hitch, started making mud and dont feel like doing 6hrs of dozer work for 2 more loads of firewood and pulp. Tugboat on Monday, play in the mud tomorrow getting coble and a culvert in on my new log job. Too set to skid, may try and cut sunday afternoon.

timberlinetree

I've met Vets who have lived but still lost their lives... Thank a Vet

Family man and loving it :)

Thank You Sponsors!