iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

i was told it's a pipe dream

Started by red oaks lumber, April 16, 2015, 06:30:00 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

red oaks lumber

in 2010 when i bought the beef farm from my parents i knew it was an uphill battle.the first year i fenced in 45 acres to graze bison, that came with alot of nay sayers :)
spring of the following year the local county ag agent payed a visit to see what i had in mind with the farm. we had a good conversation , i explained how i was keeping the 45 beef cow herd and was planning on raising the young stock as grassfed also wanting to get back to farrow to finish hogs ,along with the bison,doing rotational grazing.
he looked at me for a few seconds and then came the reasons why my plan wouldn't work or at the best as a hobby.  ;) not enough money he said , when i explained that i was going to create specility markets for all my finished animals.he looked at me again raising his hat to scratch his head, he said steve i gotta tell you thats a pipe dream :(
my answer to him was, well i guess you don't know me then.2 yrs later he was sending people out to talk to me about how i do things,also he was getting me to give speaches and host events at the farm. to this day he won't say hum you are making it work :D
  to date i created markets for all my animals for which i have the been giving nothing but high praise for the quality product, wheather its grass fed beef, or pork or my grassfed bison .most of my product goes to fine restaraunts in the new york city area :) my proudest moment for me is there is a big grassfed conference (3 days)this year it's held in the mid west, one of the carcass judges asked me to supply a beef carcass for the conference as mine are some of the best in the industry(his words not mine)
the experts think i do things wrong
over 18 million b.f. processed and 7341 happy customers i disagree

beenthere

smiley_thumbsup

That is a great success story.  thanks for letting us know.
south central Wisconsin
It may be that my sole purpose in life is simply to serve as a warning to others

Autocar

Good for you only in America  ;).
Bill

WV Sawmiller

A hearty well done Red Oak. Its always rewarding to hear the naysayers have been put in their places. If we all listened to them nobody would ever get anything done. Keep up the good work.
Howard Green
WM LT35HDG25(2015) , 2011 4WD F150 Ford Lariat PU, Kawasaki 650 ATV, Stihl 440 Chainsaw, homemade logging arch (w/custom built rear log dolly), JD 750 w/4' wide Bushhog brand FEL

Dad always said "You can shear a sheep a bunch of times but you can only skin him once

POSTON WIDEHEAD

You left out the part where Jake came up there.  :)

A journey to be proud of Steve.  :)
The older I get I wish my body could Re-Gen.

kwendt

Awesome... Everyone keeps telling me to 'know' your market. Well... there is NO market near me... so how do you go about developing one? You prove that it can be done. Just seems that most of us don't know how to go about figuring it out. If you ever feel like sharing sometime.... PM me. I'd like to know what steps you used to create markets for your product. Can such steps be used to market anything else that's organic, etc.?  Is it a start big, instead of small like everyone says... ? Interesting. I love hearing stories....   Kim
87 acres abandoned northern Maine farm and forest to reclaim. 20 acres in fields, 55 acre woodlot: maple, spruce, cedar and mixed. Deer, bear, moose, fox, mink, snowshoe and lynx. So far: a 1950 Fergie TO-20, hand tools, and a forge. (And a husband!)

WDH

It has to be rewarding to reap what you have sown (old saying) and to be able to stop and smell your roses (old saying). 
Woodmizer LT40HDD35, John Deere 2155, Kubota M5-111, Kubota L2501, Nyle L53 Dehumidification Kiln, and a passion for all things with leafs, twigs, and bark.  hamsleyhardwood.com

red oaks lumber

the funny part about naysayers they push me harder to prove them wrong :)

curdog

That is pretty cool, and something to be proud of. I wish you wasn't so far away, that would be a perfect topic for our monthly agricultural breakfast.

POSTON WIDEHEAD

OK Kim, heres a story.
I've sawn lumber for 4-1/2 years. All the other sawmills in my area saw pallet contracts.
I have a market by myself suppling barn siding to oodles of horse owners, cattle farms, lumber for craftsmen, specialty contractors, historic home renovators, cabin builders and on and on. I do something nobody else does.

Now get this......just for kicks, I ordered a tenon cutter to cut tenons on cedar legs for benches. I love building benches...its a relaxing side line for me.
Well I got so busy, I hired a guy to help me. We built 10 log benches using Cedar and just set them on the road.
Now keep in mind, we still saw lumber on the mill to sell and custom saw too. So we are busy.

Those 10 benches sold in 3 days. We got busy, after hours and built 20 more. I posted a pic of my benches on Face Book and low and behold, Camp Cherokee with the YMCA saw them.
They bought all 20 benches the first round and we finished 7 more for them. Now they want more for other camp grounds and will be patient while we build them.

Other camp grounds found out from the YMCA where they were getting theirs and now they want benches.
Tomorrow, I have a guy starting work doing nothing but sawing 2-4 inch cedar logs from the woods to make legs with. I will teach him how to use the tenon cutter and finally letting him and ANOTHER guy build benches. The other guy will start next week so my new guy can teach him so me and my off bearer can saw lumber.

Now my off bearer is in Gatlinburg this week with his wife on vacation. He handed out some business cards from my mill and got a big hit. A woodworker needs Poplar lumber BAD. There are NO sawmills in his area. He also wants Cedar lumber which I can't provide but I will be calling member CEDARMAN when I work out the details. Plus this business in Gatlinburg wants to buy Cedar benches and pick them up when he picks up his Poplar lumber. Its like a spiderweb.

As it stands now, I probably won't saw anymore of my cedar for lumber because I can get more for benches than I can lumber.
An 8 foot Cedar log, sawed in half and then sawed in half again will produce 4 benches. Each bench sells for $125.00. Thats $500.00 per Cedar log and it doesn't take long to build a bench.

The point is....the market is there. Its NOT gonna walk up to you unless you beat the bushes.
Business cards, pictures and ads on Face Book, Pictures and ads on Craig's List. Make a folder with pics in it and describe what you do and mail it to camp grounds and other places where crowds gather.Display what you do in Farm Stores. 2 years ago, I loaded my
benches on my trailer and went to Lowe's and parked in their parking lot while I went in to buy some sand paper. It was in the spring when Lowe's was CROWED with people buying flowers, grills and water fountains. When I came back out, I sold 4 benches and handed out oodles of business cards which lead to more benches and more custom sawing jobs. Plant seeds in people's heads....they will grow and tell others.
Again....it is a Spider Web and ya gotta get folks to see your stuff. By the way, I purposely took a full trailer of benches to Lowe's when I went to get sand paper. That marketing idea paid off.

Its hard work and I'm dragging some night but its fun and I love it!

****Just a note for another market which we have not tried yet but there is a demand for. WEDDINGS!
You can rent 12 foot log benches, log cookies, whiskey barrels, birdhouses etc, for country weddings. You set it up and get $$$$$....they have the wedding and then you pick it up for the next wedding.
The rent ain't cheap and Daddy will pay your price because Daddy's little girl wants a county wedding!*****

fishpharmer

Congrats red oaks lumber!  Good to hear success stories.  David's building an Empire!  well done my friend. 8)
Built my own band mill with the help of Forestry Forum. 
Lucas 618 with 50" slabber
WoodmizerLT-40 Super Hydraulic
Deere 5065E mfwd w/553 loader

The reason a lot of people do not recognize opportunity is because it usually goes around wearing overalls looking like hard work. --Tom A. Edison

thecfarm

Model 6020-20hp Manual Thomas bandsaw,TC40A 4wd 40 hp New Holland tractor, 450 Norse Winch, Heatmor 400 OWB,YCC 1978-79

Den Socling

Good stories!  8) I get Chinese emails for Walnut slabs even though I don't sell them. They are just mentioned on our website. A hot market!

red oaks lumber

basically if there isn't a market, make one.
there is 2 types of failure. 1) try something and it doesn't work out thats a failure.2) not trying something for fear of failure is still a failure so, you really have nothing to lose :)

POSTON WIDEHEAD

WH_Conley

It always tickles me when somebody doesn't know that something can't be done and makes it work anyhow. 8)
Bill

Magicman

We often see folks wanting to buy a sawmill and start sawing without a clue about marketing or creating a niche market. 

A fellow FF member has contacted me twice recently about filling some orders for him.  I declined both of them because it is a market that I do not wish to enter.  Nothing wrong with it, I just do not want to start another venture,

Yes opportunities are there and only the innovative ones will "find" them.  I emphasize "find" because you have to find them.  They ain't looking for you.

Congrats to ROL & David for stepping out and pursuing an opportunity.
Knothole Sawmill, LLC     '98 Wood-Mizer LT40SuperHydraulic   WM Million BF Club Member   WM Pro Sawyer Network

It's Weird being the Same Age as Old People

Never allow your "need" to make money to exceed your "desire" to provide quality service.....The Magicman

Peter Drouin

smiley_clapping   
Good for you, Get an Idear and giddy up :D :D ;D 8) 8) 8)

I'm going to try [fruit tree stakes] .   A hard wood overrun when cutting trailer decking or cutting timbers. I made the 1½x1½x4' and 6' sharpen in a pack of 4.
Well see. :D :D :D

A&P saw Mill LLC.
45' of Wood Mizer, cutting since 1987.
License NH softwood grader.

POSTON WIDEHEAD

If ya want to eat...you got to fish.

Good idear Peter!  8)

sawguy21

Well done guys. I love it. 8) Will Rogers once said " I was too ignorant to know it couldn't be done so I went ahead and did it".
old age and treachery will always overcome youth and enthusiasm

Peter Drouin

Quote from: POSTONLT40HD on April 16, 2015, 10:43:35 PM
If ya want to eat...you got to fish.

Good idear Peter!  8)

That bench thing you got going on is nice.
A&P saw Mill LLC.
45' of Wood Mizer, cutting since 1987.
License NH softwood grader.

yukon cornelius

I love hearing success stories! we have one going on here as well. A year and a half ago I didn't make/ had never made much out of wood and now we have a real business of it.

If someone had told me when I was young there would be a place you could type in anything you would like to know and find it. a place to go converse with others. watch 1,000s of videos of cats knocking stuff off of tables. all at the touch of your fingers. I bet when they thought up the internet idea there were plenty saying it wouldn't work or last. yet here we are
It seems I am a coarse thread bolt in a world of fine threaded nuts!

Making a living with a manual mill can be done!

customsawyer

I have been there and seen it. It is a fine operation and one to be proud of. The meat tasted mighty fine too. Congrats Steve.
Two LT70s, Nyle L200 kiln, 4 head Pinheiro planer, 30" double surface Cantek planer, Lucas dedicated slabber, Slabmizer, and enough rolling stock and chainsaws to keep it all running.
www.thecustomsawyer.com

red oaks lumber

i'm working on "vodka" infused pork.. marketing  is key :) there is a new local distillery that is making vodka and i'm getting their distillers grain, which basically is fremented wheat ,the achochol has been drained off but,the pigs love it :D

Cedarman

RO, I know how you feel.  In the beginning, there is a dream,  sleepless nights as you ponder the whole thing and try out scenario after scenario to find the pitfalls.
Then you start putting it together.  People around you covering their mouths as they snicker a little.  Then all the hard work and pinching pennies to get over the hump.  Then success.  Doesn't happen overnight.  You wake up one morning and the wonder hits you.  How did I get here. 

RO, You would have loved it when Aaron and I were in a bank in Oklahoma wanting money to start the grinding business of whole cedar trees.  They actually laughed at us when they read our business plan.  No one had ever tried what we were going to do.  Told us to come back if we made it work, then they would help us.  Don't need their help now.

Poston, I bet I have a thousand benches laying out in my log piles.  Way to go!!  We sell cedar to a guy that makes lots of signs and sells them in Gatlinburg.  Just sent him 700'.  How far is Morganton from you?  Guy buying some 1 3/4 x 8 1/2 x 10.  Shipping is 50% more than the wood.
I am in the pink when sawing cedar.

Thank You Sponsors!