iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Where do I put the drip at.

Started by rbarshaw, September 04, 2004, 02:28:57 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

rbarshaw

I've found that if I spray a little WD40 on the bandmill blade while cutting, every now and then, it cuts alot better and straighter. So i'm planning on adding a drip lube system, but where should I put the drip at;

before the first roller guide
after the first roller guide
before the blade enters the wood
after the blade leaves the wood?

Common sense tells me it should be before the blade enters the wood, but common sense won't always work. Any thoughts apreciated.
Been doing so much with so little for so long I can now do anything with nothing, except help from y'all!
By the way rbarshaw is short for Robert Barshaw.
My Second Mill Is Shopbuilt 64HP,37" wheels, still a work in progress.

Tom

You will find different schools of thought and most work.

1. before the input guide.  The guide makes sure the water is spread over and adheres to the blade.

2. After the input guide.  The blade is wet without drenching the bearings of the guide with potentially grease robbing fluids.

3. At the exiting guide to make it easier to run tubing.

Woodmizer originally put it following the fixed exiting guide.
Woodmizer changed to the input movable guide and I think it remains there.

Baker put it on the stationary input guide.

Norwood (that I've seen) put it on the input guide.

The logic of the lubrication fluid:
If you  put the right amount of lubrication on the blade, sawdust and resins will be slung off by the centrifigal force of the bandwheel before they have a chance to stick.

Keeping that in mind, you might experiment with the positioning yourself. :)

rbarshaw

Thanks Tom, You know being the way I am, I'm going to try everything and see how it does.

You know I did not expect to hear from you with Frances beaten on ya!
Been doing so much with so little for so long I can now do anything with nothing, except help from y'all!

Tom

:D :D I never could keep my mouth shut. :D

Paul_H

Well I'm glad for that,Tom.You keep talking and we'll keep listening. 8)
Science isn't meant to be trusted it's to be tested

smwwoody

rbarshaw

watch using WD 40 and other petro based lubes it will soften up your rubber tires after a while of use.  I found that out the hard way with diesel fuel.  both make a great band lube but neather are rubber friendly.  I have since switched to super clean and water

woody
Full time Mill Manager
Cleereman head rig
Cooper Scragg
McDonugh gang saw
McDonugh edger
McDonugh resaw
TS end trim
Pendu slab recovery system
KJ4WXC

rbarshaw

Quoterbarshaw

watch using WD 40 and other petro based lubes it will soften up your rubber tires after a while of use.  I found that out the hard way with diesel fuel.  both make a great band lube but neather are rubber friendly.  I have since switched to super clean and water

woody
I only used it to test the effect, don't plan on long term use since i've seen rubber disolve from it myself.
What's super clean?

Thank You Sponsors!