iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Southern guys

Started by fishfighter, April 13, 2015, 06:47:48 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

fishfighter

Were are you ordering your replacement blades? I'm looking for some and hate the idea of paying a arm and leg for shipping.

I need something for hard woods most of the time.

POSTON WIDEHEAD

All my blades come from Woodmizer. I use strictly 4° on hard and soft wood.
I use their re-sharp service to re-sharp my blades and to replace any cracked, broken or worn out blades.
The cost of this service is very little factored into the profits I make from my sawing services. :)

When you ship your blades back to WM, you need to ship 10 blades.
They sharpen and replace what is needed and ship you 10 blades back. My turn around to the Georgia office is mostly 10 days. Not bad. I'm happy!  8)
The older I get I wish my body could Re-Gen.

Dave Shepard

If you are running .045" bands, you can flat pack 15 bands. Should save a little on the shipping.
Wood-Mizer LT40HDD51-WR Wireless, Kubota L48, Honda Rincon 650, TJ208 G-S, and a 60"LogRite!

Magicman

I too use only Wood-Mizer blades and also their Resharp & Replacement service.
Knothole Sawmill, LLC     '98 Wood-Mizer LT40SuperHydraulic   WM Million BF Club Member   WM Pro Sawyer Network

It's Weird being the Same Age as Old People

Never allow your "need" to make money to exceed your "desire" to provide quality service.....The Magicman

fishfighter

I just cut for myself at this time and I am still building a base set of blades. I am also looking at the Woodland blade sharpener too!

I would like to try some 7 and 4 degree blades. Been using 10's and oak kills them fast.

Magicman

So you think that the Oak will not "kill" the 4° and 7° blades??   ???   :D
Knothole Sawmill, LLC     '98 Wood-Mizer LT40SuperHydraulic   WM Million BF Club Member   WM Pro Sawyer Network

Never allow your "need" to make money to exceed your "desire" to provide quality service.....The Magicman

fishfighter

I'm sure it will, but I need to try something else. ;D

Dave Shepard

Wood-Mizer LT40HDD51-WR Wireless, Kubota L48, Honda Rincon 650, TJ208 G-S, and a 60"LogRite!

Ocklawahaboy

I just saw for myself.  I bit the bullet and bought a box of 15 blades.  While 10 are getting sharpened, you have 5 to saw with. 

fishfighter

Quote from: Dave Shepard on April 13, 2015, 08:58:43 PM
Are your logs clean?

Yes. Fresh fell and I get all dirt off them before milling.

ladylake

In tough wood 10° blades have trouble cutting straight when sharp, 4° will cut straight until they are rather dull.  Steve
Timberking B20  18000  hours +  Case75xt grapple + forks+8" snow bucket + dirt bucket   770 Oliver   Lots(too many) of chainsaws, Like the Echo saws and the Stihl and Husky     W5  Case loader   1  trailers  Wright sharpener     Suffolk  setter Volvo MCT125c skid loader

rooster 58

I use woodmizer turbo's. And I use the resharp service. I just don't like the flat paks.  I was thinking of making some out of luan

fishfighter

Quote from: rooster 58 on April 14, 2015, 06:41:06 AM
I use woodmizer turbo's. And I use the resharp service. I just don't like the flat paks.  I was thinking of making some out of luan

So, what does it cost you per blade for sharpen and shipping?

The way I look at it. Buying a Woodland blade sharpener($800), that would be about 80-85 blades sent off to be sharpen. After that, I would be breaking out about even other then replacing blades as needed. Also time to send off blades. The woodland sharpener says that it takes about 20 mins per blade to sharpen and is full automatic. Shuts off once it completes a round the blade. Also, a 12V system.

goose63

fishfighter I have the sharpener from Woodland and it is working for me but it's a learning proses 
goose
if you find your self in a deep hole stop digging
saw logs all day what do you get lots of lumber and a day older
thank you to all the vets

Ocklawahaboy

Think about how quickly you are dulling blades too.  In 2 years I've dulled/destroyed about 25-30 blades.  It would take me a long time to break even on a $800 sharpener. 
I've thought about setting up a radial arm saw band blade sharpener like some on here have done but it's much easier to throw them in a box and drop them off at fed ex on my way to my favorite Mexican restaurant. 

Solomon

Quote from: fishfighter on April 13, 2015, 06:47:48 PM
Were are you ordering your replacement blades? I'm looking for some and hate the idea of paying a arm and leg for shipping.

Kenna-Saw     in  Kennasaw Georgia.   I Have thier phone number at the house.  At work right now.     The last time I ordered blades, I got 60 inch and a half by 7/8 .055 blades   229 inches (19 ft  1 inch)  blades for my LM4 delivered to my front door step for $27.00 a piece.   They are the Monkfor brand blades and I have been very happy with them.  I have been through a lot of them.     
Time and Money,  If you have the one, you rarely have the other.

The Path to Salvation is narrow, and the path to damnnation is wide.

Deese

I have a cook's sharpener and tooth setter and ordered my first batch of blades (30 blades) from Timberwolf.
However, I will be ordering Cook's blades when I need more.
2004 LT40 Super 51hp w/6' bed extension
Cooks AE4P Edger
Cat Claw sharpener/Dual Tooth Setter
Kubota svl75-2 skidsteer w/grapple, forks, brushcutter
1977 Log Hog Knuckleboom loader/truck

fishfighter

Quote from: Solomon on April 14, 2015, 10:32:44 AM
Quote from: fishfighter on April 13, 2015, 06:47:48 PM

Kenna-Saw     in  Kennasaw Georgia.   I Have thier phone number at the house.  At work right now.     The last time I ordered blades, I got 60 inch and a half by 7/8 .055 blades   229 inches (19 ft  1 inch)  blades for my LM4 delivered to my front door step for $27.00 a piece.   They are the Monkfor brand blades and I have been very happy with them.  I have been through a lot of them.     

If you get time, please do post there number.

Goose, after looking at the video on setting up there sharpener, I don't think I would have a problem. I would buy more blades from woodland, but I don't see anywhere on there web site if they sell 4 or 7 degree blades.

fishfighter

Quote from: Deese on April 14, 2015, 12:34:56 PM
I have a cook's sharpener and tooth setter and ordered my first batch of blades (30 blades) from Timberwolf.
However, I will be ordering Cook's blades when I need more.

Why? Do to the sharpener?

drobertson

I will chime in for what it's worth, cooks' should be close enough for you, as would be wmz, I will say, having a band sharpener is worth it's weight if picked up at the right price,  you will find folks that don't want to fool with the process, and others that do,  I could never see going back to any resharp service for the simple reason a new band is just a hair more price wise and there is no gamble on the results.  jmo
only have a few chain saws I'm not suppose to use, but will at times, one dog Dolly, pretty good dog, just not sure what for yet,  working on getting the gardening back in order, and kinda thinking on maybe a small bbq bizz,  thinking about it,

Deese

QuoteWhy? Do to the sharpener?

No, the sharpener will sharpen any blade, up to a 3" blade I think...you just have to change the cam for whatever blade profile you are using...I've got the cam for the Timberwolf 3/4" tooth spacing and 7/8" spacing...I just want to try some different blades. Plus, I'm pretty sure I can get a good deal on one or two more cams if I buy a bunch of blades from them...Several folks around here use their blades and I think I could do some extra sharpening on the side...
Cooks AE4P Edger

Deese

Drobertson, what do you do with a blade once it's dull?
Cooks AE4P Edger

Dave Shepard

Quote from: drobertson on April 14, 2015, 04:46:48 PM
I will chime in for what it's worth, cooks' should be close enough for you, as would be wmz, I will say, having a band sharpener is worth it's weight if picked up at the right price,  you will find folks that don't want to fool with the process, and others that do,  I could never see going back to any resharp service for the simple reason a new band is just a hair more price wise and there is no gamble on the results.  jmo

With shipping, I pay about $10 per band for WM ReSharp. A new band is about $28. There is no gamble with WM.

Magicman

Check your Resharp replacement blade cost Dave.  My 158"X10° blades are $21.00.   Are you using something else?  ;D

Dave Shepard

I'm using 1.25" .055" bands. I'll have to dig out a slip for the last box I bought. I seem to remember it was around $ 280 shipped.

Thank You Sponsors!