iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

clark ranger 664 disection

Started by treeslayer2003, April 12, 2015, 05:50:51 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

treeslayer2003

you guys got me thinkin about my 664 so i started pulling it down. engine needs work, so i thought i would provide some pics........it may help some one.

8 bolts and the cab/rops is off

8 more and unhook all the cables, wireing and lines and the dash/converter tunnel is off.

treeslayer2003

so now all that is off and its easy to get to everything..........i will post more pics as i get along on this as time allows.

rick f

Looks good. How far are you tearing it down? Great pictures please keep them coming.
664 clark skidder
1- 562 husky
1- 254xp husky
1 - 268xp husky
1250 JD farm tractor with skid winch
5040 kubota farm tractor

treeslayer2003

engine has a bad piston, but it never was right before...........couldn't tune the lazy out of it. i suspect a gear timing issue......we will see. i will try and get pics of each step so y'all will see how it is put together.

lopet

Looking forward to some pics. 8)  Do I see green grass ? :o
Make sure you know how to fall properly when you fall and as to not hurt anyone around you.
Also remember, it's not the fall what hurts, its the sudden stop. !!

treeslayer2003

yea, its just starting here, maple is doin its thing and poplar and gum are starting to bud out. it will be a jungle in a few weeks and i will be complaining that its hot lol.

rockwall

Nice photos! The 353 and tc out of my 77 ranger664B are in the back of my pickup ready to take a ride to the mechanic. I will try to post some photos. It took us about five hours to get it out and we didn't even know what we were doing. Did we have fun though! 

rick f

Rockwall who are you taking it to?
664 clark skidder
1- 562 husky
1- 254xp husky
1 - 268xp husky
1250 JD farm tractor with skid winch
5040 kubota farm tractor

rockwall

A great guy in Strong, Flint York. I pulled in, he took the converter off, found a couple bolts broken on the fiber gear. Then called Harold's and ordered all the parts I needed. He's going to rebuild the tc, new fiber gear, new rear main seal and a couple other small things. he definitely knows Clarks.

treeslayer2003

Quote from: rockwall on April 13, 2015, 05:13:09 PM
A great guy in Strong, Flint York. I pulled in, he took the converter off, found a couple bolts broken on the fiber gear. Then called Harold's and ordered all the parts I needed. He's going to rebuild the tc, new fiber gear, new rear main seal and a couple other small things. he definitely knows Clarks.
i figured you would need a gear........i might. i might have one in my store room/junk pile.

bushmechanic

Is that an S8 International I see in the background of that first pic?

treeslayer2003

Quote from: bushmechanic on April 13, 2015, 07:58:41 PM
Is that an S8 International I see in the background of that first pic?
yup, a late A but parts you must tell them its a B. it needs a charge pump and a different winch or a grapple. i am not gonna fight the gear matic any more.

treeslayer2003

shot of the trans

this thing bolted to the side of the converter is the regulator oldseabee was talking about. also notice the breather, it is also a check valve. if it tears up the converter will pump all the fluid out thru it.

tmbrcruiser

Hey Treeslayer, I haven't thought of Clark skidders in a long time. Ran one for Fred J. when he was logging. Good luck on the rebuild, they are great skidders.
Once you get sap in your veins, you will always have sawdust in your pockets.

lopet

Are you doing a in frame rebuilt or are you pulling the whole thing ?
Happy B day btw.
Make sure you know how to fall properly when you fall and as to not hurt anyone around you.

treeslayer2003

Quote from: tmbrcruiser on April 16, 2015, 08:30:58 PM
Hey Treeslayer, I haven't thought of Clark skidders in a long time. Ran one for Fred J. when he was logging. Good luck on the rebuild, they are great skidders.
hey! i got the last loader they bought new, know them well. this was the first skidder i ever ran, dad sold it and i got it back years later......i know, i am to sentimental lol.

oh dad got it from McIntyre back in the day. you remember Don W and fish? i miss those guys.......as you know its slim pickins for dealers around here now.

treeslayer2003

Quote from: lopet on April 16, 2015, 08:58:08 PM
Are you doing a in frame rebuilt or are you pulling the whole thing ?
Happy B day btw.
the whole mess is coming out. it never ran right when i got it back and finely pulled a piston crown off. guy had it "rebuilt" who knows what they did.
thanks!

treeslayer2003

out and in the shop. you guys let me know if ya want a close up of any thing.

treeslayer2003

lopet, an inframe isn't possible unless the front rear is removed.

coxy

lots of work ahead of ya good luck  is that a case skidder on the other side

treeslayer2003

lopet

Time to get the belly pan off and wash her down.

treeslayer2003

no belly pans on a clark, this one is old '74 and didn't even have the large plates. i did put one in the front cradle before so that makes it some better.
my washer has a crack........been on loan for a while........may be an excuse to get a new one.

tmbrcruiser

Nothing wrong with sentimental when it comes to equipment. Sure do remember the guys from McIntyre.
Wonder where Don W. is now.
Once you get sap in your veins, you will always have sawdust in your pockets.

treeslayer2003

Quote from: tmbrcruiser on April 17, 2015, 09:24:46 PM
Nothing wrong with sentimental when it comes to equipment. Sure do remember the guys from McIntyre.
Wonder where Don W. is now.
last i herd he was selling motor bikes........thats been a while. i have the bell his father had. i got stuff from every one around lol.

Thank You Sponsors!