iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Deadheader at 1:20 Pm Sat.

Started by Tom, September 04, 2004, 11:27:19 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Tom

Message from Harold.
---------------------------------------

Electric has been off since 9 AM. Got the generator running. Computer don't like modified square wave lectric. It ain't good here. LOTS of rain. Wind will get worse until dark. Limbs laying around. Someones shingles laying in our yard.

Probably won't check in again until it blows over. It ain't good.

dewwood

Hope all is well with you Floridians.  Hope you have something solid to protect you from the storm.

Best of luck!
Selling hardwood lumber, doing some sawing and drying, growing the next generation of trees and enjoying the kids and grandkids.

DanG

Just tried to call my son. Got voice mail on house and cell phones. Don't know if he can get the messages or respond. Will update when I hear anything.
"I don't feel like an old man.  I feel like a young man who has something wrong with him."  Dick Cavett
"Beat not thy sword into a plowshare, rather beat the sword of thine enemy into a plowshare."

Ed_K

I talked to my son in St Augustine Fl. at 4:30 to day said it wasn't bad there yet. They were worried of tornato's on that side of the storm. Said it wasn't worth trying to go anywhere as the 3 major HWs were at 15 mph. On I 95 some one had a fender bender and it backed up traffic for 100 mi.
 By this time things are different, I hope everyone will be ok.
Ed K

sprucebunny

Hope everyone's OK. Looks like Vero Beach is getting pounded.It's hard to even imagine getting 10-20 inches of rain in a day or two.
MS193, MS192 and an 026  Weeding and Thinning. Gilbert Champion sawmill

OneWithWood

It looks like you all are in for a bunch of rain.  I hope you can stay high and dry.  At least FDH can don some scuba gear if the water gets to high :o

I am thinking about you all and hoping the storm does not regain any strength as it lingers over the gulf stream.  
One With Wood
LT40HDG25, Woodmizer DH4000 Kiln

etat

Just want to say I been a thinking about yall and hope everybody's ok.
Old Age and Treachery will outperform Youth and Inexperence. The thing is, getting older is starting to be painful.

Tom

Deadheader called just before it got dark to let me know that he's still hanging in there.  He's lost a few shingles but the house is still OK.  

The TV says that he's getting 90 mph winds.  That's pretty good considering that the storm is stalled southeast of him and he's not in the middle of it yet.

He's getting Cabin Fever though.  His daughter is ready to leave and visit somewhere else. :D

Harold says his major problem is juggling the juice from the generator. When the freezer turns on, it strains the rest of the house.  When the freezer shuts off the electricity starts stacking up on top of the lights and he has to idle the generator down before the stuff falls off.

He's really concerned about his ice cream.  I told him there was but two solutions.  Either leave the freezer door closed or eat all of the ice cream..   I'm in favor of eating the ice cream.  :D

Winds are picking up in Jacksonville and we are beginning to get somr short-lived but heavy rain storms.   I think everybody wishes this thing would get off of dead center and do something.  

As bad as it could be to move ashore, it would, at least, knock the stuffings out of the storm.  Hurricanes don't handle being over land very good.   If this one would stall over land instead of the ocean, it would die a quick death.

etat

I gotta tell ya Fla. I've been watching the news and they just keep talking about Vero Beach.  Knowing that you're still holed up down there is making me nervous.  I really hope all yall Florida folks stay safe, and I will be EXTREMLY glad to hear from ya when this is over.
Old Age and Treachery will outperform Youth and Inexperence. The thing is, getting older is starting to be painful.

Stephen_Wiley

Tom,

Glad you and Harold can communicate.

How are the rest of the Florida FF members, any others keeping in touch?

Will pray you and yours will escape any serious threat!

God Bless
" If I were two faced, do you think I would be wearing this one?"   Abe Lincoln

Ianab

Florida storm has made the headline news here in NZ tonight
Looks like a decent blow :|
Hope everyone is safe up that way

Ian
Weekend warrior, Peterson JP test pilot, Dolmar 7900 and Stihl MS310 saws and  the usual collection of power tools :)

Roxie

Tom, thank you so much for the update!!  We can all see that Vero Beach is really in the center of the action, and we are all praying that FDH and ALL our FF Floridians are ok.  
DanG have you heard from your son?  
Say when

Gordon

Wish all of you down in that neck of the woods lots of luck! You all are in for one heck of a beating.

Flordia is going to be a mess for a long time after this storm passes.

Gordon

DanG

Hey Gordon!  Good to see you on here. :) :)  How's the family?

No Roxie, I haven't heard anything yet, but didn't really expect to until the local authorities down there can get some of their infrastructure fired back up. It is still blowing pretty hard down there, so I probably won't hear anything for a while yet.

Meanwhile, we're getting ready for a puff and a squirt ourselves. We don't expect a catastrophic wind event, but they say we could get up to 20" of rain. :o  Unlike the rest of Florida, it is rather hilly around here, so flash flooding is a problem whenever we have heavy rains, particularly in Tallahassee. They lose folks to that from time to time, mostly college students trying to make it to the Pizza Hut in spite of dangerous conditions.
"I don't feel like an old man.  I feel like a young man who has something wrong with him."  Dick Cavett
"Beat not thy sword into a plowshare, rather beat the sword of thine enemy into a plowshare."

Tom

Heard again from harold at 9am.  He's OK so far. He will be catching the trailing edge of the eye and the storm until it finally passes.  The winds he is experienceing now are coming from 180 degrees differently than what he saw yesterday and last night. Anything that was weakened in the Easterly winds last night will probably be blown over in the westerly winds today.  It's kinda like bending a bandblade back and forth till it breaks.

Hang in there DanG!
You're going to need a raincoat for this one. :D

Bro. Noble

My son-in-law Michael is heading for Florida Wed. with a forest service crew to help with cleanup.
milking and logging and sawing and milking

Tom

He'll certainlly be needed.  Tell him to stay aware of downed power lines.  Errant electricity and traffic accidents are the worse killers here after a storm.

DanG

I got the Ark ready for launch. 8)  'Course my Ark consists of a 12 foot jon boat. By the time I load 10 dogs, 32 cats and four horses in it, there won't be room for me. Thank goodness!

Those down lines are a REAL problem!  My son told me Friday eve that they were gonna shut off all power as the storm started ashore. From the films I've seen so far, that didn't happen. ??? ???

Noble, thank Michael for me.  They will need all the QUALIFIED help they can get. Over and over, we see people from all over the country streaming into any area that's in trouble. Ain't this a great Country? :) 8) :) 8)

Tom

QuoteI got the Ark ready for launch.   'Course my Ark consists of a 12 foot jon boat. By the time I load 10 dogs, 32 cats and four horses in it, there won't be room for me. Thank goodness!

You need to keep up on the educational threads in this forum to stay reminded of how to get 5 Elephants into a VW. :D

DanG

I did study that with interest, Tom. Problem is, I don't have any elephants(all this finger snapping is keeping them away) or a Volkswagen.  The biggest challenge the passengers will face is the two horses that like to chase dogs, and the four dogs that like to chase cats.  I'll just be content to tread water, myself. ;D :D

Buzz-sawyer

I believe America is a special country....if theres trouble anywhere in the world WE send help of all kinds....many Americans are willing to spend thier money , time and lives to help others in trouble....and they will this time TOO....Im humbled and honored to live here :)
    HEAR THAT BLADE SING!

Tom

It's noon here and we are getting strong bands of rain and wind.  While it isn't steady or hurricane force, it is in the 50-60 mph gust bracket and our power is off and on intermittently.    Could be I'll disappears from the forum for awhile if the lines go down.

Y'all in Florida, hang in there .......and those outside....most of us seem to be OK.  I've checked with family in the Vero area and they weathered it OK. Harold made it the last I heard and DanG is due for a bit of a blow in a few hours.

I'll stay on line as long as I can.   Saw a few shingles pass the door window and heard a few thumps in the night. :D  Haven't been able to take inventory yet.  I have the cars parked around the sawmill so it doesn't get hurt. :D :D

Just one thing I want to say in case I lose this thing.  

Everyone everywhere is going to want to help.  Before anyone takes off for Florida, keep in mind that you will need food, toilets, beds, clothes, fuel and everything else that we Floridians will be trying to find.  It's great to know that everyone wants to help, but, there will be no open restaurants or hotels and you will be in the same fix as the citizens of the state.  It would be a shame to arrive in South Florida, not have fuel for chainsaws and equipment and run out of gas in your truck too.   Then you become a Hurricane victim and will need to be taken care of the same as the people you came to help. :P

http://www.floridadisaster.org/eoc/index.htm

Paschale

Y'all can pronounce it "puh-SKOLLY"

DanG

Good luck, Tom!! :)  I know you've been through this many times, and you'll be ok. Hope you don't get much damage. Same to the rest of you in the path. I'm not worried about it here. As I said before, we'll get a breeze and a bunch of rain, but I'm on high ground and can do ok for quite a while with the resources I have here.

Just to reitterate and reinforce what Tom was saying about offering help;  The best thing you can do to help is to make donations to the organizations that are set up to provide relief. The Red Cross and Salvation Army are two that come to mind. No doubt, the civic organizations and businesses in your areas will be conducting drives to collect money and supplies. That's a good way to make your contribution. If you ain't got money to donate, they'll need somebody to load the trucks, too. Just be sure the organization you donate to is a reputable one that you can trust.

Just heard a strange howling noise at my window, and it weren't no dog! :o :D  The breeze is starting to pick up a little, but the sky doesn't look threatening at all. Not near as bad as our daily t-storms, so far. Things should go downhill from here.

Gordon

Tom posted---there will be no open restaurants

Sorry guys your on our own :o

On the serious side hope all is well. From what little I've seen on tv it's not a pretty sight. You guys have your hatches battened down? hope so. Tub full of water and all that good stuff. Hope your pantries are full.

Gordon

DanG

Just got a pm from EightWgt in Jacksonville. Things must not be too bad there. He just wanted to chat about deer hunting. :D

DanG

8)
Just got a message that my Son & DIL made it through the storm ok. There is a large tree down near one of their cars but they can't get to it to see if it is damaged. Otherwise, it was a long scary night with no major damage. :)

I feel better now.

Frank_Pender

That is marvelous, DanG.  It is beginning to sound as though that there is better hope than what was thought to occure a few days ago.   8) 8)
Frank Pender

DanG

It hasn't been as bad as it could have been, but it ain't over yet.  First feeder band just came through here, sooner than I expected. We've already had gusts that looked to be in the 40mph range and have branches down  in the yard. Spoke to my Son a few minutes ago and could hear the wind roaring around his cellphone and he is 500 miles away. With both of us getting it at the same time, this is a massive storm! :o :o
It has settled down here for now, and I can even see a little blue sky to the east, but that won't last long. I expect the next blast within the hour, and maybe a couple more after that, before the main event. We may get more from this than I have been anticipating, but nothing like the lower east coast got.  We haven't lost power or phones yet, but my ISP apparently had problems a while ago and I couldn't get on for an hour or so. I'll do as the others have and hang here as long as I can. If lightning gets real bad, I'll shut down till it passes.

Frances has barely lost hurricane strength crossing Fla and is now going into the Gulf of Mexico and will probably be a cat 1 again by the time it gets here.

DanG

Well, we had a relatively quiet night, with a steady light rain and blustery winds. So far, yesterday's initial blast has been the worst of it, but that record won't hold up. Weather service recorded 50mph gusts in that one. Tom and the other Jville folks are still getting it worse than me, according to the radar, even though the center is much closer to me. ???

There is a small cherry tree resting on my power drop, but the wire is holding it up ok for now. Also, a branch struck the power drop to my well and shop, pulling it loose from the pole. It is being supported by the cluster of small pine trees behind my mill. If it goes, we will be without running water till after the storm.  That won't be a major problem as we have a supply of drinking water, and non-potable water is pretty easy to come by, right now. ;D :D :D

Bigdogpc

Thought I'd check in since I've got power again.  Hope all the FF Florida folks did/do OK with this durned hurricane.  Lost some trees here, have lakefront property but family and I are fine.  Ya'll need to be aware that the storms drive the critters to high ground...moccasin killed in a carport by one of my neighbors.  Ya'll be safe!

DanG

Good to hear from you Bigdog. I've been concerned about you. Don't take the plywood down yet, there's another one coming! :o  Ivan should be in the area by the weekend. This is getting old, fast!  Ivan will be the fourth one we have to at least prepare for, within a month. H. Bonnie came right up to us before turning east and fizzling. Charlie was headed right for us 2 days later before being turned eastward by the same cold front that fended Bonnie off. Now, Frances is here, and Ivan is following the same track. It is bigger and badder than any of them, so far.  This is the worst season since '94 when 5 named storms came our way.

DanG

Latest news on the storm comes from my brother, via my Mom. Bro had a large hickory fall in his yard, which totally crunched his shed. He's an avid fisherman, and says every rod he owned is broken. :'(  Says the tree is 4' dbh and is hollow. I'll go over and help him out with it, soon as this stuff blows by.

Center is still headed right at me, but the west side of it is relatively dry. East of us, the rain is heavy, and Tom is still getting lots of water even though he is 200 miles east.

Sure is quiet on here with Tom & FDH off the air.

VA-Sawyer

To all the FF members in Florida, hope you didn't get hurt too bad by Francis. Don't get tto far from your hidey-hole there is another one on its way.Let's just hope that in the future we don't refer to this new storm as "Ivan the Terrible".  I'm a little torn about Ivan. Right now they have it tracking straight into Florida. I would hate to see that happen. On the other hand, if it follows the easterly limit of the forcast it will be headed straight at us. It would be best if it missed the US altogether but I'm thinking that may be asking too much.
It has been almost a year since Isable and we haven't got all the mess cleaned up around here.  Gaston caused major havoc in our area when it went through last week. Charlie hosed us down the week before that. Alex soaked us pretty good before it turned east into the Atlantic.We could do without another major storm here, but then the same can be said for Florida.
It has been a long time since I wanted to rush the coming of winter, but this year it can't come too soon, as that will be the end of the Hurricane season.  One more thing.... my name is Rick, Shirley's son is named Matthew, and her dad who lives less than 1/2 a mile away is named Otto. Those are three names on this years list of storm names. Virginie is also on the list for this year.
I'm starting to feel like there is a big red bull's-eye painted on Florida and another one here in east Virginia.
Gotta go work on Otto's generator, we may need it pretty soon.
VA-Sawyer

Gordon

QuoteSure is quiet on here with Tom & FDH off the air.

All is well with them I hope.

Gordon

Jeff

Toms phone line must be out. I have been trying to call and all it does is ring. Tom has a machine if it was he just aint home.
Just call me the midget doctor.
Forestry Forum Founder and Chief Cook and Bottle Washer.

Commercial circle sawmill sawyer in a past life for 25yrs.
Ezekiel 22:30

Tom

I'm ba-a-a-ack :)

It's not been as bad as some but we were under 70mph winds through last night.  Nothing one would want to get out in.  

We lost power and communications at 2pm yesterday and watched as the tops of trees from the swamp sailed past the window.  There's lots of branches, some trees and a couple of inches of green leaves all over the yard. I don't know if I want to mess with it now, or wait til Ivan shows his stuff. :D

I lost some of my pine crop but not enought to worry about.  Most of the damage on my place was hardwoods. Oaks, sweetgums and sweetbay.

A fellow can make it pretty good until the power goes out and you lose phones.  Instant cabin fever. :D :D

We are all OK here.  When the water subsides,  I will be able to get out and really see what the damage is.  I haven't been to the swamp out back and hate to think of the trees that may be down back there.  I can saw some of it myself, but, there is no market.

One of my "old-timers" down the road lost his barn to a big pine.  It layed right across the back half.  I gave him that wood to build it and I can almost sense him knocking on my door again in a day or two. :D    He'll probably want that attacking tree sawed for repair work just to get even with it.

It could have been a lot worse.  The rain hasn't stopped and that will be our next hurdle.

Haven't heard from Harold since we lost our phones yesterday.  Glad to see a post or two from DanG.  Hope everyone else is OK. :)

Thanks for all of y'all worryin' so hard. :)

DanG

The center of the storm is passing about 20 miles east of me right now, and it is pretty calm outside. We had a 35-40mph gust a few minutes ago and that was the worst since this time yesterday. Rain has been constant for 24 hrs, but mostly very light. If this was the worst of it, they'd be calling it "The Fizzle With a Drizzle."  But I know everything east of here is getting inundated with heavy rains. I feel extremely lucky to be treated so gently.

Tom

'bout quarter til seven, Deadheader called.  He and his family are OK.  He lost phones as well as his power and hasn't been able to make contact.  The next Hurricane, he figures, will find him up North somewhere.  If Ivan gets too close and you hear a knock on your door, it might be Deadheader. :D

He says he has pictures of 120mph trashcans and mailboxes passing his house when he gets back on the forum. :D :D

DouginUtah

I have a (dumb) question.  ;D

Not ever having been close to a hurricane I have been wondering if the rain you guys are getting is salt water, i.e., water sucked up into the clouds rather than evaporated. If so, is it really hard on the vegetation to be getting all that salt water dumped on it?

Now for the 'making lemonade when handed Florida lemons" link:

http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&category=1467&item=5518583135&rd=1

-Doug
-Doug
When you hang around with good people, good things happen. -Darrell Waltrip

There is no need to say 'unleaded regular gas'. It's all unleaded. Just say 'regular gas'. It's not the 70s anymore. (At least that's what my wife tells me.)

---

Tom

If that tree selling stunt works there will be a lot of rich folks down here shortly. :D

The rain isn't salt water.  Unlike a tornado,which vacuums stuff from the surface of the earth with the funnel, Hurricanes just blow it around.  A hurricane and a Hog have a lot in common.  It's their one and only God-given job, to tear up anything they can reach.

Water, limbs, tin, lumber hubcaps or anything not tied down can be blown for miles.  Harold lives several miles from the Indian River and the Ocean and found that his car and house were covered with beach sand today.  The wind whipped that stuff up and sandblasted the neighborhood with it last night.

When you are rained upon by salt water, it usually  means that a "Water Spout" (amphibious tornado) is or was present over the ocean.

Most of our flora is salt tolerant.  Salt is definitely not good for inland plants but there is so little in a hurricane, or even a tornado, that plants don't suffer.   If you are close to the ocean, you will see plants with the ocean side damaged.  But, that happens even in day to day weather. :)

You will see plants with wind-burn though.  Kinda like carrying a valuable plant around in the back of your open Pick-up. :D

DanG

Well, I got an interesting project for tomorrow. :o  I'll be showing up, bright and early, at my brother's house to deal with that big Hickory tree that is on his shed. I just talked with him, and he filled me in on the situation.  The tree took down his power drop and dead-centered the pole where his meter and main distribution box were. All of this plunder is reduced to a pile that rests on top of his propane tank!  He has informed the power co. and the gas co. of the situation, but couldn't get a commitment from them. We will first try to find a power crew in the area so we can ensure that the line won't go hot on us. If that doesn't happen, you can be sure that nothing else will.  Once the power line is pulled out, it will be just a "simple" disassembly job with several cords of hickory firewood for payment. He also has a White Oak down that will make the day worthwhile for me. ;D  We'll try to get our Dad out there to photograph the whole affair, so there will be pics if they ain't too embarrassing. ;D

CHARLIE

DougInUtah, I now live up north but I'm a Floridian and can answer that question.  The rain is fresh water.  But....if you live next to the coast you can get surges of the ocean come flooding in and that is salt water.  Also, the water spouts (tornados in the ocean) are also salt water but I don't think they carry much water with them if they hit shore.  The salt water isn't there long enough to really hurt the vegetation. It's the wind that really hurts the vegetation.
Charlie
"Everybody was gone when I arrived but I decided to stick around until I could figure out why I was there !"

Tom

mumble mumble argh whistle,little, mrfghiasi, whipper mumble snapper..... :-/ ::)

........ :D

OneWithWood

What's that you say, Tom?  Something about how kind your younger brother Charlie is to answer Doug's question in such a concise manner?  :D :D :D

For all you Floridians, I am very glad that this monstrous storm has not done more damage than it has.  No one appears to have suffered bodily injury and that is a good thing.
One With Wood
LT40HDG25, Woodmizer DH4000 Kiln

Fla._Deadheader

Bet Y'all thought you was finally gonna get rid of me, EH???  Power just came on, at 11:45 today.

What a grand ride we had. That storm stalled right SE of us, and we had wind and rain, up to 126 MPH, for over 72 hours. Worst thing was no power. We had filled extra water jugs and the tub before the storm. The generator is a welder-generator, 120V, modified square wave. That means the tv picture and the computer monitor has a fuzzt-jittery image. It takes filters of some sort to smooth out the sine waves.

I was afraid to smoke the puter, so, decided to give Y'all a break for a few days.  ;D ;D ;D  During the rain, the house was boarded up and there was NO air moving inside. Bet Y'all can't imagine what we smell like about now.  ::) ::) :o :o

Tom did good reporting on our conditions. Thanks, Tom.

Got a few pics to show. They are nothing like other areas around us. There was some major damage in Mobile home parks and over on the river.  In there pics, the trees are mostly SYP. There are also Brazilian Pepper trees. They are the scourge of Florida, A weed that will not die, just spread.The fuzzy-hazy pics are rain that is blowing parallel with the land. The house with the shingles missing is directly across the road from us. The wind kept blowing a Brazilizn Pepper, on the lot next to us, and it proceeded to beat down our little mower shed. Other than that, we got by pretty well. Luckily, no known reports of Tornados spinning off. That is the reason most damage is incurred in Hurricanes.  Glad everyone else is OK, so far. Y'all keep yer heads down.

Really appreciate all the concern from you great folks.

DANG, another thunderstorm moving in. BYE  :o :o :o

All truth passes through three stages:
   First, it is ridiculed;
   Second, it is violently opposed; and
   Third, it is accepted as self-evident.

-- Arthur Schopenhauer (1788-1860)

sprucebunny

Glad you're safe, Fla Deadheader. You've been missed.
MS193, MS192 and an 026  Weeding and Thinning. Gilbert Champion sawmill

Woodcarver

Glad you came through this ok, FTH.  Good to have you back.
Just an old dog learning new tricks.......Woodcarver

iain

is it worth gettig the place tidy?
you seem to be hogging all the storms
glad your all ok
 iain

DanG

Welcome back, Harold! 8)  It has been too quiet on here without you.

Went to Bro's house to tackle that big Hickory. All I can say is, "WOW"!  That thing is humongous!  There is a hollow under the stump that you could live in.  His "shed" is toast. It was actually a 12x16 storage building that he built several years ago. The crotch of the tree landed right on top of it. It missed his boat shed by less than 6 inches. There are numerous problems with handling this one, but we managed to get a lot of the dangerous stuff out of the way today, and have most of it down where we can reach it from the ground. It fell into a wooded area and took several other large trees with it, each of which presents another problem. One of the big problems is the propane tank, which is supporting part of the big tree, with the power line pinched between tree and tank. :o  Fortunately, the power was already off when it happened, and has not been restored. He has been unable to get any positive response from the power co. so, after checking for voltage, we cut the power line with bolt cutters.  We got all the stuff that was sticking up on the ground, and the next step is to cut the branches that are supporting the bole. That's gonna be tricky, but we are being extremely cautious with every cut. First move tomorrow will be to tear of the front of the building, so we can try to roll the tree over with the winch. There are pics, but I still don't have the pic programs on the new puter. Y'all will just have to wait. ;D

Fla._Deadheader

Glad yer being careful, Dan. Them leaning and downed trees are extremely dangerous. Using that winch would be the smartest idea you could have. Even if you made several side cuts and winched the trunk, it might break and relieve the tension.

This next storm ain't lookin good, either. Another category 4 is just what Fl needs.  ::) ::) Keep an eye on this one. It may go into the gulf. :o
   First, it is ridiculed;

DanG

Yep, the winch is getting a lot of use lately.  That was one of the best purchases I ever made. It makes a lot of things possible that would otherwise go undone.

We be watching Ivan. :o  It needs to just wander off into the Atlantic, but this morning's guess shows it following the same path as Charlie. :-/

Fla._Deadheader

Yep. If it looks too bad, I'm a gonna go and visit ole CK. Hope he gives me die-rekshuns.  ::) :D :D

Might could pick up you and Linda on the way through ???  ;D ;D  Got a better chance to get Diesel on the road. ;D ;D
   First, it is ridiculed;

etat

20 minutes from Tupelo.  Gather em up and come on down.  Could make a couple a bedrooms available, and a pop up camper. Plenty a grub.  And I'd enjoy the visit.

Heck, if ya gather up enough people I'll jump power back into that house trailer I just moved out of. Yep, plenty a room. :)

Fla._Deadheader

Gotcha spotted on the old radar scope, CK. We will see which a way this thing goes. I'm gettin waaaayyyyy ahead of my adventuring deals. The old bod will only take so much at a time  ;) ;D ;D ;D :D :D
   First, it is ridiculed;

sandmar

Glad to see all you FL folks weathered Frances well.Sounds like lots of work still ahead for most of you...so take care as it's easy to get hurt in situations that are out of the norm. Frances spent the day with us here in GA yesterday...lots-o-rain but little wind here..Atlanta had some trees down and power out..we are 40 miles north and only had about 2.5 inches of rain. I am hoping you all don't have to do this again with Ivan. Think if I was down there I would leave the plywood up for a couple more days till Ivan decides where to go.

Sandmar

Fla._Deadheader

Just a lil update. North of us, less than 1 mile, there was extensive damage. Trees down, Roofs either stripped or blown off. No power for another week, at least. No phones, no cable for updates. A lot more than we got here.

Figured we might snag a few exotic sawlogs. NOT !!!

Folks here cut the tops clear and then start chunking up the trunk  :o :o YEP, 12-16" chunks. They will cut the tops later ??? ???  Who invented THESE rules ??? ???

Got some Chinaberry limbs, around 8-10" across, and a couple short trunks, about 4' long X 16" across. Gotta cut the trees up to get them, but, maybe in a couple of days.

Called a guy up where we camp and found that there is no lectric, no phones and they had 5 tornados from the storm. We have lumber stashed in his 10 acre lot, and he lost several trees. He says "Homey" is OK, but, doesn't know about the boat. ???  Now, there are dark thunderstorms rumbling outside. We could use a break.  

The "Prez" was in Ft. Pierce today, handing out ice and assessing damage.  8)  Must be an election year ???  ;D ;D
   First, it is ridiculed;

sandmar

What a shame for all that wood to got to a fireplace. Same thing is happening around here....people just want it GONE NOW....whatever is the quickest way.They are not willing to wait a couple of days for someone to harvest the logs. Think  you would have to be standing over the tree when it hit the ground to get some of this wood around here......and also be willing to clean up the tops. :-/ I guess if it was easy everbody would be doing it ;)

Sandmar

Thank You Sponsors!