iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Hydraulic Motor

Started by chance33, April 12, 2015, 10:25:47 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

chance33

I need to replace a Char Lynn motor on my wood processor. I found an "after market" unit that is significantly cheaper. Are these "after market" motors any good? Or, are they Fareast manufactured junk? I like to save a buck but know "you get what you pay for"!
Mahindra 4025 4wd, FEL, Farm351P, Turner portable mill w/ 25 hp Honda, Wood Beaver 16 Processor.

InterMechanico

Aftermarket parts can be ok, but not always. Will your supplier stand behind it if it fails and contaminates your system? Does your unit have good return filtration? What is the price difference? I've not found Eaton/Char-Lynn products to be that expensive. Has it worn out (causing heat build up, longer cycle times, or is it just a shaft seal? Shaft seal kit is about $40.00 and pretty straight forward. Can you post the model number?
Julian
Approaching every job with a mind for completing it :)

Stihl MS290 , MS661 C-M , Glanberg Alaskan MkIII Mill , Home Made Edging Jig , All the safety gear

blackfoot griz

InterMechanico nailed it. What # Char-lynn are you seeking?

chance33

Thanks InterMechanico and Blackfoot for replies. It's a CharLynn 101-1031-009 and I think that I will go with that, about $275.
Mahindra 4025 4wd, FEL, Farm351P, Turner portable mill w/ 25 hp Honda, Wood Beaver 16 Processor.

InterMechanico

What is wrong with your motor?

Stihl MS290 , MS661 C-M , Glanberg Alaskan MkIII Mill , Home Made Edging Jig , All the safety gear

chance33

Long sad story. Bought a Wood Beaver 16 without seeing it actually run. Found the conveyor drive unit shaft was welded to the motor shaft. Motor leaked badly so had to grind the motor shaft off to get unit apart. Apparently the original woodruff key came loose and badly damaged the conveyor drive so they welded the motor and drive together. Now hoping a machine shop can true-up the drive unit and a new motor will put me to work. Hate to think what Wood Beaver will tell me tomorrow that they want for a new drive unit.

InterMechanico

There are many other options when it comes to conveyor systems. Look around for a business in your area that deals with conveyor systems, crushers and power screens. If the parts from Wood Beaver are too pricey, chances are they'll be available elsewhere for much less. Does the conveyor have a reduction drive between the hydraulic motor and head pulley, or just a coupler?

Corley5

Surplus Center is great for this kind of stuff.
Burnt Gunpowder is the Smell Of Freedom

chance33

I-M, motor bolts directly to the head pulley. Not a good design but that's what I got. Wood Beaver came through with a good price this afternoon so I'll be running in a couple of days. That is if the mud dries up some. Thanks again for support.

Thank You Sponsors!