iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

chevy c60 log truck

Started by bigred1951, April 11, 2015, 09:32:14 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

bigred1951

I've been looking for a log truck. Found one in my price range. It's an older Chevy c60 with a 350 and a 4 speed 2 speed rear. It runs good and everything I'm just afraid it be gutless with a load. I'm not looking to load it down. Just haul smaller loads for local mills back and forth and people who has logs but no way to haul just for something to do on off days and extra cash. I would prefer more heavy duty with a big block or diesel and air brakes but that's out of my price range right now. Do you all think it would hold up ok untill I could afford better?

Maine logger88

I know a guy around here that tells about his log truck back in the 80s or 90s he had a C60 with a 350 5 speed with a 2 speed rear a barko 60 on the back and a set of pin dollys. He used to haul about 3000 to 3500 feet on it. That's a little excessive but he said the 350 did work tho slowly lol
79 TJ 225 81 JD 540B Husky and Jonsered saws

woodmills1

I had a 70 c 40 350 4 speed single speed rear, and it pulled payloads near the GVW of the truck.  I was more worried that the racks of wood with plywood inside would break before the truck did
James Mills,Lovely wife,collect old tools,vacuuming fool,36 bdft/hr,oak paper cutter,ebonic yooper rapper nauga seller, Blue Ox? its not fast, 2 cat family, LT70,edger, 375 bd ft/hr, we like Bob,free heat,no oil 12 years,big splitter, baked stuffed lobster, still cuttin the logs dere IAM

shortlogger

It will do fine , it will easily pull more than you can leagally haul .
1 Corinthians 3:7 So then neither he who plants is anything, nor he who waters, but God who gives the increase . "NKJV"

lumberjack48

In the early 70's we had a guy hauling for us with a C-60, tandem, 366 motor, tran ?, with the loader mounted behind the cab. He was a older guy, straightened every stick [log] with a pick, instead of using the loaded.
A friend of mine bought a new 1970 C-60, single axle, 366 motor. He pulled a 40 foot tandem flat bed behind it. He also had a older GMC tandem with a Barko 40, it had a V6 diesel, that could be converted to gas. He teamed them up, he hauled a lot of wood for many years. He also hauled lumber with the C-60 to Pine River.
I think the C-60 was a big seller in the 60's and 70's, hauling grain out of the field was a big one. I think you'll be surprised what it will do, and have fun doing it. The main thing is don't expect more then what its made for, load light, the truck will love you and you'll love the truck. Happy TRUCKING
Third generation logger, owner operator, 30 yrs felling experience with pole skidder. I got my neck broke back in 89, left me a quad. The wife kept the job going up to 96.

sandhills

I totally agree with the last 2 posts, you won't be disappointed, I don't haul logs but grain and we have a '68 C50 that will haul any legal load all day long and not complain, my box holds about 320 bu.  350, 4x2, just as yours, it's block was even JB welded back shut before we got it (18 some odd years ago) still going strong.

brandonward6

I have a 1973 chevy c 60 14 ft flatbed with log bunks with 4/2 tranny/rear end and 350. It does great on close trips and I can get about 1000 bf of freshly cut white oak and that's about max. it is geared low enough the 350 does ok just don't expect to set any land speed records. I could never imagine anyone putting 3000 bf on one unless it was something like pine and I honestly don't think there would be room for that much. because mine is pretty much maxed at 1000 bf of oak. im sure you could put a little more on there but you gotta remember that its not a double frame and has hydraulic brakes.

4x4American

we had one of them on the farm to haul logs to the sawmill it worked great always started bossman even rolled it but it keeps going.  great truck I wouldn't hesitate to buy it.  Don't expect it to be a speed demon though!  His was straight piped and was LOUD
Boy, back in my day..

mills

I have a C-70 with the 366. Believe me it has more power than the driver has sense. I spun the drive shaft out of it trying to pull up a muddy hill. Don't ask me why cause I do know better. >:(

pwrwagontom

Had a truck just like this as a log truck where I used to work; it got the job done well, but it was gutless loaded down.

-T
Never give an inch

logger123

good trucks i got one use it every day haul bot 2000 ft of logs and about 4 cord of pulp dose good but hydraulic brakes can be scary at times

Thank You Sponsors!