Sponsors:

Bears

Started by pep, April 11, 2015, 09:36:03 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Ron Scott

Close ups.

~Ron

pep

Had another bear at my shop yesterday, the eleventh since April. My G-Shepard chased it away.  She was about 10 ft. From it by the time I called her back. Sure am glad that I bring her to work everyday otherwise I would need eyes in the back of my head.  I'm not a bear hunter but I might have to change that.  Ever since the spring hunt was cancelled the Bears have been multiplying like rabbits. 
Lucas 827 w/slabbing bar
JD 410B
Wood Wiz Surfacing Attachment

Ron Scott

~Ron

4x4American

Quote from: WV Sawmiller on July 12, 2015, 06:51:24 AM
We were sitting outside a nice restaurant about an hour south of Anchorage AK a couple years ago waiting for them to open when my BIL noticed a black bear come out and try to get in the dumpster. My wife jumped out and started taking pictures. Bear walked around then climbed on top and bounced up and down trying to get in but no joy so he took a crap on the lid of the dumpster, climbed down and went back in the woods.

lol lol lol lol lol
Boy, back in my day..

Ron Scott

Bear in the Night

~Ron

SwampDonkey

My bear on the woodlot likes pruning saws.....to eat the handles. :D
"No amount of belief makes something a fact." James Randi

1 Thessalonians 5:21

2020 Polaris Ranger 570 to forward firewood, Husqvarna 555 XT Pro, Stihl FS560 clearing saw and continuously thinning my ground, on the side. Grow them trees. (((o)))

Ron Scott

When I worked in West Virginia on the Monongahela National Forest, the bear there would eat and destroy our wooden road and trail signs. We would have to place stiff wire over them for some protection.
~Ron

SwampDonkey

I saw a young bear this summer at a new sign post on the highway. It's a treated post and he was clawing and biting it. I put up a bat house on a treated post set in cement and one liked to claw and bite at it to. He only made his mark once and figured it didn't taste too good. ;D :D I think it must relate back to them clawing and pushing over dead wood to find grubs or something.  I know the old rotten solitary logs on the ground get a good role every spring. :D

2020 Polaris Ranger 570 to forward firewood, Husqvarna 555 XT Pro, Stihl FS560 clearing saw and continuously thinning my ground, on the side. Grow them trees. (((o)))

Ron Scott

On the bear trail. Headed northeast again, similar to previous years photo, but later in the day.

~Ron

Carson-saws

Ron Scott...you aughtta be on a first name basis with them there bears by now...You have you a regular crowd.
Let the Forest be salvation long before it needs to be

Ron Scott

A bear didn't like the bluebird house in this area.

~Ron

Carson-saws

didn't like the house, but them birds sure were tasty.
Let the Forest be salvation long before it needs to be

SwampDonkey

I see where one bear marked his home territory with some big dung piles. Don't see that too often in this neck of the woods. Used to find it all the time in BC.  ;D

We have blue birds nesting by the garden, but no bears. ;)

ppine

A friend of mine is a timber framer and does a lot of work around Lake Tahoe. Two years ago he was out on the Cal/Neva Peninsula which has some large lots and many big rocks and denning sites.  Every day at least 5 bears would go by the job site. They had names for them , and had no troubles. The largest a garbage eating bear was huge, they called "Minivan." He always went through fences instead of over them.

One afternoon a new bear shows up. He was a young male, blondish fur, kind of beat up looking and under weight.  He was probably searching for a new territory.  The bears hangs around the the job site for half an hour.  The guys working there are going up and down ladders and keeping an eye on him. My friend is eye balling this bear.  All at once the bear lowers his shoulder and comes at him at a dead run. No warning signs of woofing or clacking of jaws. My friend runs to his truck and gets inside with about 30 yards to spare. He has a revolver but did not use it. The bear finally wanders off.  After some discussion, it was concluded that this was a predatory charge. We reported this bear to CA Fish and Game and NV DOW.  Black bears are typically not predatory but a few are and you don't know what order they come in.
Forester

Peter Drouin

Looking good. ;D
A&P saw Mill LLC.
45' of Wood Mizer, cutting since 1987.
License NH softwood grader.

starmac

Sawmills are for bears too. I have a neighbor that wants any band I break. He cuts them in strips and puts them on the door and windows of his remote cabin, claims it helps discourage trouble bears.
Old LT40HD, old log truck, old MM forklift, and several huskies.

Ron Scott

Two bear headed southwest a short time apart.

~Ron

DDW_OR

"let the machines do the work"

Gearbox

That last pic is a good sized bear .
A bunch of chainsaws a BT6870 processer , TC 5 International track skidder and not near enough time

ppine

Thirty years ago I was working out of a mining camp in SE Alaska. There were about 15-20 guys running drill rigs to identify a molydenum ore body, one of the largest in the world. The camp was created with a portable sawmill flown in by helicopter. It was the only way to access the camp.  In those days the camp had a compost pile for their kitchen waste.  It attracted bears on a regular basis.  They would get 3 chances before they would get shot.  It was hard to scare them off and they really liked the garbage.
Forester

Wudman

We have our share here in South Central Virginia too.  I used to plant some sunflowers and corn for the deer, but it became futile.  The bears would have everything cleaned up by October.  I have some wild pear trees here on the farm and they tear them up every year.  My Dad lost his lab to a bear a few years back.  She made it back to the yard, but was mortally wounded.  Three hound puppies that were with her, didn't make it back.  Dad also had a run in with a sow and cubs in his garden one night a couple of years ago.  He walked up on here in his corn patch.  She was laying down and let him get within 8 feet before standing up.  She advanced and his dog intervened.  She held her ground for about 20 or 30 second until the cubs retreated and then she ran.  Dad is convinced that his dog saved him from certain injury that night.

Here are a couple of pictures of bear damage to a utility pole on an adjoining farm.  I have been told that this is territorial marking.  I have seen plenty of pine trees that have been marked, but this is the first pole I have seen damaged.

This fellow was taken about 10 miles from my farm.  He was just shy of 700 pounds and 9 feet.  There have been a number of bears in excess of 600 pounds taken in the area.

Wudman 
"You may tear down statues and burn buildings but you can't kill the spirit of patriots and when they've had enough this madness will end."
Charlie Daniels
July 4, 2020 (2 days before his death)

coxy

shootem all all they are is over grown black rats

Ron Scott

The larger one headed back on the trail the next afternoon.

~Ron

Ron Scott

Down the bear trail

"Bear Selfie"
~Ron

Peter Drouin

Went out to the barn this morning  heard a huff.
This little guy went up the tree as fast as you say Bear.

I thought I flush it, But what I saw was a bigger Bear on the ground that did it. :D :D

So I yelled at the one on the ground to leave the outher one alone and get your back side out in the woods.
Looked at the one in the tree and told her to get down and stop diging up my trees.

I went and gas up the saws and when I went back to the truck The baby was looking at me.  :D :D :D :D

When the babys are afraid they like to be near a good tree.  :D :D :D :D

A&P saw Mill LLC.
45' of Wood Mizer, cutting since 1987.
License NH softwood grader.

Thank You Sponsors!