iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Bears

Started by pep, April 11, 2015, 09:36:03 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

pep

Was cutting firewood at my shop this week with my side kick(4-1/2) year old German Shepard when I hear a big commotion.  When I shut off the saw and look up I see a black shape in a tree not far from me..  I call the dog and she comes, I put her in the truck.  Then I see two cubs(last years) about 30 or 40 feet up the tree with the sow about 20 feet up.  They stayed in the tree for 2 hours.  Ever since the government cancelled the spring bear hunt, I've been seeing bears regularly at home and at the shop. Getting too close for comfort.  Think I will bring the 12 ga. With slugs to work.  Never had a bear problem till about 4 years ago.  Ever since u see them all the time.. Some big boars too.  When we go to the dump on Tuesday or sat the Bears r there and they aren't  afraid, even with Cubs.
Sure wish the DanG Liberals would bring the hunt back.  They have their hands full with the more than 2 million raccoons living in Toronto along with the 2.6 million people.
Cheers
Pep

Lucas 827 w/slabbing bar
JD 410B
Wood Wiz Surfacing Attachment

pabst79

Hey Pep, 

That fish camp up by Pickle Lake we go to, has had a huge bear problem ever since the spring hunt was shut down, the lodge owner has to shoot on average 5-7 problem bears a year. 5 years ago a large boar ripped the door off the cottage that my folks were staying in! Dad chased him out with a mop!  :D  They are so overpopulated that the little one's are starving and will do anything for food. Silly how city folks decide what happens in the bush, just ain't right. say_what

Josh
Not sure which came first, but I have chickens and eggs.

DonT

I thought they had opened the spring bear hunt back up in Northern Ontario,or was that just in certain areas?  It would be good for Northern Ontario tourism.

pep

DonT. They opened the hunt in three areas.  Sudbury, north Bay and I think thunder bay . The liberals think Northern Ontario ends at north bay. Little do they know it takes two days to drive out of ontario.
Pabst79   The north has a huge bear problem.  I've heard of farmers combining their fields and seeing ten bears pop up.  Once the blue berries and choke cherries are done, the Bears start moving north of me to the fields for oats.  The farmers have culled quite a few.  Also been lots of sightings in the neighboring towns.. Just getting too close for comfort.
Lucas 827 w/slabbing bar
JD 410B

Peter Drouin

Never had a problem in 60 years here in NH. Maybe we need more Bears. :D :D :D :D
A&P saw Mill LLC.
45' of Wood Mizer, cutting since 1987.
License NH softwood grader.

DDDfarmer

bears pop up and.... pop.. back down  ;D
Treefarmer C5C with cancar 20 (gearmatic 119) winch, Husky 562xp 576xp chainsaws

DDDfarmer

Two years ago I counted 18 within a mile of the farm.  That was in the spring not quite sure how many were around to den up in the fall. quite a few were harvested in the fall hunt, well the ones that were left.

I think there is a spring hunt south of hwy 11 on the Timmins side.  There's more north of 11 due to the crops but that guy was almost killed south of town, maybe that's why its open there?
Treefarmer C5C with cancar 20 (gearmatic 119) winch, Husky 562xp 576xp chainsaws

pabst79

We always spend a day or two in Ignace on our way to Pickle, not sure how far East or West on 11 your talking about, but there is a dump just north of town on 599, 9 times outa 10 there will be bears in the road when we travel through.  :rifle:

Ron Scott

Camera Shy Bears

~Ron

sandhills

DanG Ron, that middle one looks like a pig to me  ???

Ron Scott

This might be the smaller one that looks like a pig. They keep trying to avoid the camera. I had moved it to try and get a better picture of the larger one, but it must have swiped the camera as it was moved out of position and the tree attachment strap to the tree was partly broken. It's a good thing that I have a bear cover over the camera.

~Ron

beenthere

Must associate your camera box with a bait box...  some good closeups.
south central Wisconsin
It may be that my sole purpose in life is simply to serve as a warning to others

Ron Scott

Bear still traveling this area for the past two weeks.

~Ron

thecfarm

Stepson got a few pictures of a bear on my land a few years back. The other night I saw a bear cross the road. First bear I have ever seen myself around here.. My Father hunted this land his whole life and never saw a bear.
Model 6020-20hp Manual Thomas bandsaw,TC40A 4wd 40 hp New Holland tractor, 450 Norse Winch, Heatmor 400 OWB,YCC 1978-79

coxy

come to my place theres lots of them and when you leave take them with you  :) :)

pep

X 2  no shortage of bears here. Saw 3 Saturday , 1 on Tuesday  and 1 today. Got to have eyes in the back of your head.
Lucas 827 w/slabbing bar
JD 410B

SwampDonkey

Napadogan area is full of bears. It's almost like a circus. I managed to see a lynx out there Thursday as well as two moose. Lots of rabbits to eat, at least 6 per mile early in the morning. Two make a dozen and by 3 generations a year you can't count'm all. :D

I've scared off 2 bear this past month off the roads I work along (walking). Amazing how they don't see you and then when they do they are scarce quick.

I think the bear hunt has been declining in number of hunters. Gun laws (err tax) have not helped.
"No amount of belief makes something a fact." James Randi

1 Thessalonians 5:21

2020 Polaris Ranger 570 to forward firewood, Husqvarna 555 XT Pro, Stihl FS560 clearing saw and continuously thinning my ground, on the side. Grow them trees. (((o)))

pabst79

We came back from Pickle Lake 2 weeks ago, seen lots of bears along road, and a couple in camp by the cabins  :rifle:  Locals are begging for a spring season!

coxy

ooops there is a season  on them :laugh: :laugh:

goose63

No Bears here wish we did have some sure would like to have some Bear fat to render into lard for dough nut's
goose
if you find your self in a deep hole stop digging
saw logs all day what do you get lots of lumber and a day older
thank you to all the vets

SwampDonkey

You can still buy Tenderflake by the bucket.  :D ;D

2020 Polaris Ranger 570 to forward firewood, Husqvarna 555 XT Pro, Stihl FS560 clearing saw and continuously thinning my ground, on the side. Grow them trees. (((o)))

Magicman

I have seen some really big ones in Colorado. but I doubt that we will ever have a hunt-able population here. 
Knothole Sawmill, LLC     '98 Wood-Mizer LT40SuperHydraulic   WM Million BF Club Member   WM Pro Sawyer Network

It's Weird being the Same Age as Old People

Never allow your "need" to make money to exceed your "desire" to provide quality service.....The Magicman

WV Sawmiller

Many counties in WV have open season on them. Ours opened a few years ago. We occasionally have one come across the pasture or yard. Wife saw a cub in front yard last year - I guess mom had already crossed under neighbor's fence. (One stepped on my gas valve several years back while I was overseas and reduced flow on the ball valve. Wife talked with plumber and decided bad water heater and replaced . No change. More troubleshooting found the valve under crossing half shut. I now have it taped open with duct tape.) I have eaten it but don't care for it and my land is posted so I have told all neighbors off limits if he makes it to my place. They don't do any damage to anything I have. Saw first one here last year in October while bowhunting back side of my place.
Howard Green
WM LT35HDG25(2015) , 2011 4WD F150 Ford Lariat PU, Kawasaki 650 ATV, Stihl 440 Chainsaw, homemade logging arch (w/custom built rear log dolly), JD 750 w/4' wide Bushhog brand FEL

Dad always said "You can shear a sheep a bunch of times but you can only skin him once

SwampDonkey

They are bad around the lake cottages. They have learned how to push up and open those lidded community dumpsters. I bet they could open a jam jar.  ;D :D

WV Sawmiller

We were sitting outside a nice restaurant about an hour south of Anchorage AK a couple years ago waiting for them to open when my BIL noticed a black bear come out and try to get in the dumpster. My wife jumped out and started taking pictures. Bear walked around then climbed on top and bounced up and down trying to get in but no joy so he took a crap on the lid of the dumpster, climbed down and went back in the woods.
Howard Green
WM LT35HDG25(2015) , 2011 4WD F150 Ford Lariat PU, Kawasaki 650 ATV, Stihl 440 Chainsaw, homemade logging arch (w/custom built rear log dolly), JD 750 w/4' wide Bushhog brand FEL

Dad always said "You can shear a sheep a bunch of times but you can only skin him once

Thank You Sponsors!