iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

reboiling sap

Started by wdmn, April 10, 2015, 07:43:41 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

wdmn

Hi,

Figured someone on here might be able to answer this:

One batch of syrup I made this year was removed from the stove too soon. A bunch of crystals formed in the bottom suggesting that it's saturated, but it's still very thin.

Is it possible to put this back on the stove top and reduce it further? Could I add some unboiled sap to it to help the process? Or is this batch forfeited?

Thanks,

wdmn

hacknchop

Im not an expert but the guys I help use a finishing pan and yes your final product can be adjusted to the right sugar content by either boiling more or adding sap, sometimes its a little thick comming out of the evaporator we dump when the temp reads 218.7 and it is not unusual to adjust it a little by adding hot sap.Should work good for ya.
Often wrong never indoubt

Corley5

We used to bring it down to almost syrup at the sugar shack and then finished it on the kitchen stove prior to filtering and canning.  Made for a sticky residue in the kitchen  ;) ;D
Burnt Gunpowder is the Smell Of Freedom

Joe Hillmann

I see no reason you can't boil it again.  Although when you heat it back up a lot of sand will drop out. 

When I make mine I try to bring it past syrup in the pan then let it set over night,  draw off the top of it leaving all the crud in the container I left it in overnight and then heat it up in a double boiler to get it ready for canning and add water to it to bring it back to syrup.  The double boiler keeps it from getting hotter and creating sand.

But I've also put the fire out in the middle of a boil when it got to late and let the syrup sit in the pan overnight and restarted it the next day to finish boiling.

HiTech

A syrup hydrometer is the instrument to have. It will tell you if you have the right consistency. Sounds like it is thick enough if it has crystals in it. Syrup is runny if it is room temperature. Refrigerated if will appear fairly thick. A gallon of syrup should weigh 11 lbs.

Thank You Sponsors!