Sponsors:

homemade bandsaw mill, help

Started by gww, April 09, 2015, 05:02:13 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Ox

Wonderful news!   smiley_thumbsup smiley_clapping smiley_roller
K.I.S.S. - Keep It Simple Stupid
Use it up, wear it out, make it do or do without
1989 GMC 3500 4x4 diesel dump and plow truck, 1964 Oliver 1600 Industrial with Parsons loader and backhoe, 1986 Zetor 5211, Cat's Claw sharpener, single tooth setter, homemade Linn Lumber 1900 style mill, old tools

gfadvm

gww, I admire your perseverance and ingenuity. Glad you finally got her going!

gww

G
I don't know if there is anything to admire but as far as being glad about getting it going,  You and me both.  I still worry about the belt as it is running up side down but seems to not be stretching as bad and isn't ripping apart yet.  Fingers are crossed but going great right now.  Thanks
gww

Ps  I think I am going to build a small portable shed maby 8'x10' and just see if I am any good at it.  I am interested in the board and batton siding and general building and hope to sell it for enough to buy some more blades and just practice.  I doubt I sell anything else but I went through so many blades that I want to recoup and then just stock pile for later.  It should give me an ideal of what type of board I might use most.  I am just going to consider the time it takes as part of the building of the sawmill.

Ox

This is a good idea, gww.  Get your feet wet and see firsthand what you think you may need in the future.
If you're making a portable shed, can you use some of the leftover cants that you can't saw all the way through?  They would probably make good runners (like on a sled) for pulling it around to where you want it.  My chicken coop is made this way.
1989 GMC 3500 4x4 diesel dump and plow truck, 1964 Oliver 1600 Industrial with Parsons loader and backhoe, 1986 Zetor 5211, Cat's Claw sharpener, single tooth setter, homemade Linn Lumber 1900 style mill, old tools

gww

Ox
QuoteIf you're making a portable shed, can you use some of the leftover cants that you can't saw all the way through?  They would probably make good runners (like on a sled) for pulling it around to where you want it.  My chicken coop is made this way.

Yes that is the ideal.  The things I haven't figured out yet is.
Flooring:  can I use one buys on the 2x6 joist or two bys.  Ply wood would be easer but I want to not buy anything.  I also won't toung and groove but could make "L" shape cut outs on the flooring boards for overlap on the table saw.  Probly wont help cupping but may help with getting srinkage.  Wood is very green.  If it was for me I would pour concreete and not need a floor.

Board and batton siding:  Should I inset the walls and then just put one by stringers or should I put the walls on edge and build two by cross beams in the wall frame.  I think the stringers are easiest as we did that when building dads 40x50 foot garage.  (the stringers were harder then building the walls in my opinion) His garage was coverred in metal.   

Roof, shingles or tin.  If tin can I do it with just stringers like we did dads garage.  I will probly have to buy plywood if I go shingle.  I like the look of shingle better.

Weight.  an eight by ten shed built with green lumber and a green lumber wood floor will probly wheigh more then a ton.
Any comments from those who have built?  I want to sell it so don't want it to be bad.
Thanks
gww

tmarch

If you are gonna build it to sell either use treated lumber for skids or build it to set on concrete blocks.  I'd just build it and tin it so it's lighter to move similar to a pole building. 
Competing with a lumber yard or store is gonna be tough price wise, and many of them build these.  Good luck.
Retired to the ranch, saw, and sell solar pumps.

Ox

Sorry, gww, I can't help you with the construction thing very much.  Everything just jumbles up in my head.  I'd have to be there and have stuff in my hands to be able to be of any use.
Maybe you should start a new post?
Maybe search the forums and look for pictures?
I wish I was of more use with this... >:(

gww

tmarch
I didn't use treated lumber for the rails but will mention they might also want to put it on blocks.  I also am thinking of using all my crap wood that should be in the fire wood pile for the floor.  I have the base built and it was 2x6 joist and I am going to put my wavy, thin and just ugly boards on the floor.  I figure it it goes bad and they want to change, they can just lay plywood on top.  I have no intention of compeeting with the lumber yard because the can put more then one a day together.  I am having to drill every hole before nailing and it is hard and slow to square long stuff on a table saw.  I don't know how long it will take me to build but I only got the joist and two rails done today so it wont be fast.  I don't want it to fall apart but am hoping to end up with something useful and not totally ugly.  I consider this more practice on using stuff that may not be exactly like the lumber yard so I can learn just how time consuming it is to build with non standard and how hard I should try to get to the exact board mesurement when cutting or wether an eight one way or another is easy to deal with.  I do believe the shed will be unique compared to what can be bought but maby not in a good way.

I am trying to find a use for stuff I couldn't quite put in the fire wood pile and make room for better and practice building.  The lumber yard sells thier 8x10 shed for six hundred.  I figure to ask around $400 but will probly take $200 hundred cause I need the room, get to get rid or stored nails (If I build anything big for me I am using a nail gun and not drilling every hole).  I am also learning the working with oak insted of pine and will be interested in wether it is worth it or not.  Blades are around $200 so I can cut better next time.  I am interested in the look of oak building and also seeing board and batton in person.

Ox
Don't worry about it, Thats how I roll too, Just jump in and face problims as I create them and hope to learn and retain some of the learning for later.

I did look at a few vidios and looked up some free shed plans but can't say I am really following them.  I didn't print them and can't remember with out it in my hands.
If it ends up to bad I will have a bond fire.
Cheers
gww

I already know cutting 12 foot is better then cutting eight if you don't know what you need.

tmarch

If you don't have a cut list cut them as long and as wide as you can, they can all be cut to length and width as you need them. ;)

gww

tmarch
Down deep I knew that but eight foot logs where so easy to handle compared to 12 foot logs.
Cheers
gww

Ox

It sounds like you already have a solid plan as you're dealing with the unknown.  I don't see anything wrong with your approach.  This is exactly how I tackle things as well and things usually work out fine.
Don't forget, (I do a lot) that your mill is the best edger in the world.  It won't leave a milled edge like a table saw but it is good enough for rough building and it's much faster and you can do a whole bunch at one time!
When I need to edge some boards I try to make at least one dimension of the trimmings 1" so that I'm ending up with stickers at the same time.
I would think that if you keep your price around half of the big box stores that you'd get some business.  Explain that it's built the "old fashioned" or "rustic" way with true dimension lumber and not nominal lumber.  Lots of people like this kind of charm in today's world.

gww

Ox
This is going to sound funny but here goes.  I actually wanted to use the mill to edge all the wavy stuff I stored.  It is cutting strait as an arrow.  I have been working for a day on the table saw and only have about half of the 8x10 floor covered.  The only reason I did not use the mill was cause I rolled a 12 foot log on it and didnt feel like rolling it back off.  You wouldn't believe how many one bys it takes to cover a little floor and I still have siding to do.  It is stupid cause I would have been done with the floor by now if I had rolled it off.  You mention delexia or what everit is called.  I have my own mental quirks at times which is why I will look through millions of junk and make things that don't fit rather then have to go to the store to get the right thing. 

I am not that worried about the building and selling it.  I am learning a bit.  I hate selling which is why I give so many eggs away.  I will probly set it by the road and if nothing happens I will end up using it.  I am doing it more just to get a feel for matirial usage and I do need more blades.  I think it is going to be an ok shed but if my intentions were to use it I would not have made it portable and that alone would save lots of boards on joist and flooring.  I knew I would be slow but believe I will learn a bit and be better if I ever do it again.

There is some joy in using my own stuff and stuff I have sitting around just wasting away.  Hopfully I am creating something usable out of stuff that people don't even use today.  My wife was at a yard sale and someone had a bucket of nails for a couple bucks and she called me and ask if I wanted them.  I told her no cause I had a bunch.  If you bought them in the store they are not cheep and I should have said yes but every body for good reason uses nail guns now and nails are sorta obsolete.  I always use screws.  It is kinda neat to be using my stored nails even if I did have to drill a few holes.  I am on a limmited income but have all the time in the world and don't need to be profesional as long as I enjoy what I am doing.  I do wish I could be more professional but am gaining what knowlage I can doind what I do.

Thanks
gww

Ox

By golly, you've just said the exact way I look at things myself.
The only difference between you and me is when I get to a point that I realize it's going to take massive amounts of time to get something fabricated from junk vs. spending $100 on something that makes my life more stress free, I'll scrounge the money up somewhere.  You have the drive to do whatever it takes to make something work.  I do too, 75% of the time.  But you're at 99%!  And that has merit in my book.
I've noticed that siding or flooring with boards usually takes twice as much as you think or see in your pile.  It's like gravel or crusher run, always twice what you figure.  It always amazes me.
I had a 1965 Kaiser 6x6 5 ton dump army truck I brought back from the dead and restored and sold for a tidy profit years ago.  I did some driveways and ditch work and such and figured real quick in my own head what I THINK it'll take to do the job.  Say, 20 yards.  Then I'd tell whoever it is that it'll be close to 40 yards.  It always was so darn close they thought I was a pro and been doing it for years.  Makes you feel good, ya know?
You're doing your project exactly like I would, if that makes any difference.  There's some guys on here that are so good it makes me look stupid but I always try to tell myself that chances are I'm good at something they may not be.  It's just the way of the world!   That's why I'm thankful we have this wonderful forum and nobody has to worry about asking any questions, ever.  :)

beenthere

gww
Any pics of the shed build yet? Sounds like a good project for your production.
south central Wisconsin
It may be that my sole purpose in life is simply to serve as a warning to others

gww

This is what I have so far and worked hard.  Bent two nails for every one I got to go in.

This is why I worked so hard.  Used the table saw rather then roll that log back off the mill.

That log looks like it is going to be one bys..  I looked at my lumber and tried to guage how much I had.  I thought, I have enough for a small shed.  I believe I will have enough with boards left over to build the shed (though I am not done yet)  They were not all prime boards and so I thought not much risk in seeing if I was gaging correctly what I really had.  I figure to replace it with better boards and have more of an ideal of what I can do after this little experment.  I don't think I will have enough on bys and I am not sure I can come up with a 2x8 that I need for the eves that is long enough.  I have a 2x6 that is 12 foot long but I think a two by eight takes the measuring out of building strait forward easy eves.

Ox
I am probly more like you then you think.  I did buy the tires for my mill knowing that dad had some that might work but I didn't want to wait.  I get impatient and splurge lots more then I should.  I also have my car worked on every once in a while when I know I could do it but just can't get in the mood. 

The log on the mill is old but seems to be solid.  I should move it cause it aint lined up anyway.  I need better equiptment but don't do enough work to justify it.

I hope the floor is good for a laugh, just keep in mind I am going for utility.  I am hoping it won't be an eye sore though and used most of my bad boards on the floor and now what I have left is mostly good.  It a good thing my bee traps arent catching a lot of bees cause I am not going to have the one bys to build more hives which is what started my even wanting to build a mill in the first place. I ran out of boards I could scrounge building the stupid bee hives.  Now that I have the mill and it is starting to work I am in a builing mood.  I need to slow down cause I only have 12 acres of woods and not that many good trees in it and I don't want to thin it too much anyway.  I am haveing fun though.
Thanks
gww

gww

Ox
One other thing that make it easier to piddle harder then most.  I am retired early enough to have just enough heath to still goof of a bit.  I did 30 years in a factory and now have a pension.  It is a little easier to do stupid things and survive it when making a living is not takeing up all your time.  It is a blessing that is disapearing in america but I was lucky enough to have worked before it was gone.  I will say it still seems like I have no time and am always behind.  Time also seems to really be rushing by.  I am the happyest I have been in my whole life to be able to play with things that interest me even if I am no good at it. 

I don't have a lot of money but now have more time and enough money to not have to worry too bad.  It fits me cause I really don't want much anyway.  I try to find things that interest me that don't cost too much and might even in a pinch give a little though if not in a pinch I wont sell stuff cause I don't want to deal with people in that fassion.  I would rather have a little extra and be able to give then to need to sell however would like to have something to grab a little if I ever find I really need it.  I don't think I will though.  It is unfair to be proud of my bull headedness and compare it to anyone unless they are having as few outside interferances as I am.

It is a blessing to be where I am in life.  I wish every one could experiance it. 
Thanks
gww

Ox

By golly, that's a good looking start to a shed if ya ask me.  It looks nice and neat and that you care about it.  Mill looks good too!  It's good that it's cutting straight now.  I'll never (willingly) forget the name Leggman and what he did for you.
I'm happy to hear that you're happy in your life and lifestyle.  That's the secret to life right there.
I'm content with my life with the exception of my deteriorating health which I don't want to get in to.  It would take far too much time and would sound like a pity party or something.  My health frustrates me to no end when I have the drive and knowledge to do many things but simply can't.  It's almost like a version of a living hell that will only get worse.  But I tell myself every day that there are those out there far worse off than me and it settles me down.
I really am happy to hear you're pleased with how your life is.  It gives me a sense of well being somehow.  Weird, huh?
I'm looking forward to seeing the shed being built from your trees and your mill and your lumber.  It's a feeling most in this world will never know.

gww

Ox
I wish you the best that it can be with your health.
Leggman surprized me as few people have in my life.  Many times I have had good intentions but not the skill level to help more then I hurt.  He reached out to me with no prompting and had the skill to pull it off and make it also really succesfull.  One of a kind and has my gratitude.
gww

ozarkgem

how big is your solar system in the background? Grid tie?
Mighty Mite Band Mill, Case Backhoe, 763 Bobcat, Ford 3400 w/FEL , 1962 Ford 4000, Int dump truck, Clark forklift, lots of trailers. Stihl 046 Magnum, 029 Stihl. complete machine shop to keep everything going.

gww

Ozark
The little rack in the picture is home made solar and probly gives about 350 watts total to the battery.  I am not grid tied in the sence that I can sell back to the electric company, I can't, but I do use the grid and don't make enough solar for my needs.

I have a 5800 watt system and a 48 volt fork truck battery.
Cheers
gww

gww

This took me all day.

One wall.  It was the easy one cause I didn't have to rip wide boards for 2x4s.  All I had to do was square the ends and cut to lenght. 

I really regrett my decision not to just inset the walls an inch on the floor and run stingers or whatever they are called to nail the board and batton on.  It is decision time now as I can still do that to the next three walls.  If I don't inset the walls then I am going to cheat and use screws for the little nailing rails that go inside the studs.  I am a little slower cause I am designing as I go and have to stop and go measure the window I am going to use or measure my other shed for ideals for the doors I want.

I am still having to drill all my nail holes.  I am so uncoordinated that my whole life I was never good at driving nails and that now is what is taking most of the time.

This experiance is going to make me appretiate the extra expence of nail gun nails.

Oh well, I am going to keep mudling though.
Cheers
gww

Ps did I mention this thing is going to weigh a ton or more :D

Ox

That would take me all day, too.  Maybe two days!  Looks like alot of bending over and crawling around and such.
Looks good and rugged, that's for sure.  If somebody buys it, they'll be getting a good deal.
And yup, it'll take 3 men and a boy to move it.
I wouldn't sweat moving the walls in much at all.  Just cut an angle at the ends of your boards and battens so the rain will drip off away from the building.
You can always nail a spacer board all the way around the bottom the same thickness as your nailers/stringers/purlins and finish your board and batten siding ending up on that.  I'm not sure if you're going to run the siding clear down to the ground or leave the bottom/foundation showing. 
Hopefully you follow my poor writing skills enough to see what I'm trying to get across.

gww

Ox
I understand what you say.  I also must not think things through cause what a simple solution to just add a one inch board on the base.  I feel like an idiot that I didn't think of it.  Don't stop telling me things cause it makes me look stupid,  I get mental block sometimes and would rather know even if I look stupid. 

I think some things will get better.  One If I could come up with a better storage and sticker area where I could put all 2x4s in one place and all wide one bys and narrow one bys. You get the ideal.  It wouldn't have helped me before cause I was cutting bad stuff that I couldn't throw away and now things are better so I might be able to seperate the wood sizes cause going through the whole pile to pull out spicific boards is taking a lot out of me and a lot of time.  I was going to park a tractor in half the leanto that the boards are in but now I am going to come up with a differrent plan for that.  I did get a plain wall with 5 studs in it and it needs six, so I got a little more done today.

The plan I sorta looked at for ideals suggest cutting a slot in both sides of each batton to stop capelary action sucking water in.

We will see if I go to that much trouble or not.

The plan I looked at does not take the board and batton all the way down but does want it, I can't remember how many but some inches below floor level.

I am just sorta playing things by ear and trying to figure them out when I get to them.  I look at other successful plans and such and then put my twist on it. I don't do this cause their plans are bad but more due to lazyness and somtimes working with differrent materials.  The only reason I am getting away with this much time toward the shed and mill is cause it is staying so wet.  I will not have tomatos by July 4th but may have the best weeds in the county.  My wife keeps wanting the grass mowed but I keep telling her we need to cut it as little as possible to save gas.  I also tryed to tell her we need to let the grass bloom for bees and we should practice now.  Needless to say my compulsive nature has kept me focused on the mill but that won't last forever.
Thanks
gww

Ox

I'm glad you can follow what I'm trying to say.  I felt very good that the idea just popped into my head at that precise moment!  Made me feel a little smarter for a bit.
But then I couldn't think of the simple word "base" that you used.  I used bottom/foundation.   ::)
You see?  We put both our brains together and we can come up with half a brain and get something done!   :D
By the way, I've never thought you were stupid or dumb or anything like that.  You remind me of myself in more ways than one.  I'm willing to bet you're gruff outside and nice on the inside.  I am.

tmarch

"I'm willing to bet you're gruff outside and nice on the inside.  I am."  I would never admit that. ;)

Thank You Sponsors!