iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Started the build.

Started by fishfighter, April 08, 2015, 12:11:58 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

grouch

But, but, but... Think of the children! Your contraption won't wear out and create jobs for robots to make more self-destructing tracks! You're ruining the industry.
Find something to do that interests you.

fishfighter

Well, with all the taxes I pay, I really don't feel to bad. ;D

fishfighter

Well, the track system and door are hung along with the door jam trim. Rolls real nice, smooth and easy. ;D

Good look how it matches out. ;D

Magicman

That looks very nice Paul.  Is it a pocket door or exposed on the other side?
Knothole Sawmill, LLC     '98 Wood-Mizer LT40SuperHydraulic   WM Million BF Club Member   WM Pro Sawyer Network

It's Weird being the Same Age as Old People

Never allow your "need" to make money to exceed your "desire" to provide quality service.....The Magicman

fishfighter

Exposed on the other side. It slides into a area were there will be a stackable washer/dryer in a cove. I will get a picture of the other side. I do have to take everything back down. Still haven't threw mud up in the bathroom. Also, I need to cut the length of the track. I knew I was going to have to do that, just wanted to make sure I had enough. ;D

Was super HOT yesterday. Planed out a lot of oak boards for trimming for windows. I am still wanting to use live edge base boards and trimming around everything. I sawed a bunch about 7 months ago that has been stacked and stickered. I am going to pull some today and resaw, plane and past the edges on the joiner. I will then see what is what.

On a side note. Weather wise. That DanG invest TD4 that is hanging way out east. They are calling it for it to come in the gulf and hit Louisiana. No real winds, but a big rain maker. :( Heads up Lynn.

Also, I feel in love with my joiner. Working with rough sawed lumber, I just don't see how one can do without one. ;D Makes things so much easy. ;D

grouch

I *like* that door.

It's just in the wrong location. You could greatly improve its artistic dash, structural integrity, and architectural trendinosity by moving it a wee bit nor'eastward. Say about 800 miles?

fishfighter

:D  Now you are sounding like my wife. The more she sees how things are going, the more she is hinting of remodeling our house. Just ain't happening. ;D

ChugiakTinkerer

I'm feeling some powerful door envy myself.  I really enjoy reading and seeing the progress you've made.  Quite the testament to fortitude and ingenuity.

I still owe you the Kasco blade I promised.  I haven't forgotten.  Well, in truth I forget every day, but then remember when I'm reading your posts.   :P
Woodland Mills HM130

grouch

Quote from: ChugiakTinkerer on July 11, 2017, 12:48:40 PM
[snip]

I still owe you the Kasco blade I promised.  I haven't forgotten.  Well, in truth I forget every day, but then remember when I'm reading your posts.   :P

Forget the blade; send a truckload of igloos! Make sure they pass by me on the way to Loozhyanna. For inspection, only, of course.

fishfighter

Quote from: ChugiakTinkerer on July 11, 2017, 12:48:40 PM
I'm feeling some powerful door envy myself.  I really enjoy reading and seeing the progress you've made.  Quite the testament to fortitude and ingenuity.

When you get a chance. Really haven't been sawing anything lately. :( DanG shame I been walking right by it 3-4 times a day and I hear it calling my name. :D

This is pictures from inside the bathroom.

Door open into the washer/dryer cove.

Today I trimmed out the other window jam in the livingroom. After that, raided my stock pile of live edge oak boards and haul them up to the house. Sawed one board that was live edge just on one side. All of my live edge stock is 4/4. After checking the moisture level which was 15%, I felt good to use it. Debarking in a couple spots was a bit tricky. :( Then I got a call to go do blood work. I'm still not up to par. :(

Anyway, after sawed more then what size I needed, I went to plane it out. DanG planner didn't want to run. :o Dangit. After checking switches, a rock hit me in the head. Check the brushes. Pulled and clean and back together. Bad boy fired up. ;D

Planned that one board out down to 7/8" which I really want 3/4", but rain was coming. Could hear the thunder. :(

Same board as door trim.

If I go that way, I would saw the board down to 3 1/2" wide.

Now using live edge as a topping on wainscoting with a piece of 3/4"x 2" oak.

Another.

Over all, I really didn't like it around the door, but I loved it on the wainscoting. Still going to plane out a few more and tack them up just to see and then go from there.

Darrel

I like it but not my wife. She likes the bathroom door but not the live edge.

"No live edge in my house!" Says she.  I'll be building it for her so the live edge will be relegated to the outside of the house. Even that sounds risky. :D
1992 LT40HD

If I don't pick myself up by my own bootstraps, nobody else will.

fishfighter

Quote from: Darrel on July 11, 2017, 10:57:53 PM
I like it but not my wife. She likes the bathroom door but not the live edge.

"No live edge in my house!" Says she.  I'll be building it for her so the live edge will be relegated to the outside of the house. Even that sounds risky. :D

Heck, at our age, you should know to always keep the boss happy. ;D If you need help as to how I built the door, let me know. I can take pictures step by step.

fishfighter

Got out this morning and plane my butt off till after 1pm. Just way to HOT even with a fan on. Planed out a easy couple hundred BF. Just a start for cabinets. I will need a lot more. Didn't take any pictures, but haul off around 4 55gal drums of shavings. That stuff burns off very fast. ;D

fishfighter

Got a good start on the kitchen island. It's size is 33 1/2" x 72". Well the slab top is that size. The island is 24"x68" with arms to reach out the over hang of the slab for support. Got this done Saturday.

Yesterday, I started the front. First was to grab some rough lumber. These boards are from my pile of first cut lumber when I first got my sawmill. ;D

Had to rip some boards and saw up my cut list.

Once all sawed up, I past them all thru my planner.

From there, broke out my hand joiner. Sawed everything to size and glued it all together.

I hope to get it finish some time this week.

fishfighter

Update on the island. Just about have it finish. It has been so hot that it has took it's toll on me. :o But overall, I am very happy with this project. ;D

Got to order some hinges for it and enough for the rest of the cabinets. Also I have to pick up some caster wheels for the island so I can move the island back away from the wood stove in the winter months.

All the rest of the cabinets thru out the house will be built just like this too!

On a side note. I will forgo the live edge on all the trim and just trim it out with finish boards.

grouch

That's looking really good!

Did you say those air dried for 2 years?

Don't know what kind of top you're going to put on it, but please knock the sharp edges off. My wife slipped one morning and hit her head on the corner of a (bought) bedpost. Scared the crap out of me. I took a spokeshave to that idiotic thing.

(That was my attempt to close it up until we could get to the doc).

fishfighter

Ouch.

Yes, air dried over two years. Moisture meter has it at 10%. The top will be granite. The slab is 3cm thick and is 38"x 72". Bought enough for the complete kitchen counter tops for $125 last fall. A lot of people were remodeling their homes after a big flood.  ;D

fishfighter

I did finish up that island cabinet. Took my wife, daughter, son and I to load it in my truck and to install it in the camp. One heavy sucker. :o

I did forgo the caster wheels. I just couldn't find any that would fit under and be able to carry the weight. A light went off when I was shopping for the wheels. Saw some of those Teflon pads that one can put under anything to slide things on a floor. Bingo. ;D Added some blocking at the corners and just nailed a pad to each corner. 8) One can not see them and only lifts the island up about 1/8" off the floor.

Kind of been under the weather again. DanG heat is very bad. Got to the point of having very bad legs cramps every night. Them things HURT.

Darrel

Quote from: fishfighter on July 25, 2017, 07:15:38 AM
Kind of been under the weather again. DanG heat is very bad. Got to the point of having very bad legs cramps every night. Them things HURT.

When you get leg cramps, try eating a dill pickle.  If you're like most people, you'll be amazed at how well and how fast it works.
1992 LT40HD

fishfighter

Did that along with drinking the juice, even drinking vinegar. Little to no help. Blood work all shows good too. No lack of potassium.

Got out a little this morning doing a inventory on oak lumber. Getting a bit low. :o Now did my saw list for the rest of the kitchen cabinets. Just maybe I can start on that tomorrow. That is a lot of wood planning I am looking at. :o

Magicman

Looks like you have been sorta busy while I have not.  Nice kitchen island.   ;D
Knothole Sawmill, LLC     '98 Wood-Mizer LT40SuperHydraulic   WM Million BF Club Member   WM Pro Sawyer Network

Never allow your "need" to make money to exceed your "desire" to provide quality service.....The Magicman

fishfighter

Thanks Lynn. I'm backing off this so I can get a roof over my sawmill shack. This DanG heat is just unreal. With the rain( which now helps the heat) I need a roof. ;D

sawed up my first log in over three months today. That was real work. :o

fishfighter

After 5+ months, I had not did anything on this build due to life changing events. It is still very hard for me to even go to this house. But. I started back working on it and hope to try to finish it.

So I been building the kitchen cabinets.

Built the upper first.

And I have the bottom cabinets just about done. Only have the sink base cabinet picture, but there are two more That I had built.

One bad thing, well two bad things I had to fix was moving some plug outs. They were off about 8". :( No real biggie, but just a little extra work. One of them was for the stove which will be electric and the wire is 10/4 ga. That was a bit tricky. ;D

Forgot I had these.

Of course it has been extra cold here as everybody else this winter. I do have a ac/heating window unit in the front bedroom, but not big enough for everything. I do have to run it just for my air compressor. That sucker was freezing up. :o

But working in the kitchen/living room, I been feeding this sucker. ;D

Magicman

It's good to see you back on this project Paul.   :)

Darrel

Fishfighter, the guy that keeps on keepin on.  That's a quality to be admired!
1992 LT40HD

Thank You Sponsors!