iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Started the build.

Started by fishfighter, April 08, 2015, 12:11:58 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Ljohnsaw

Quote from: fishfighter on June 10, 2017, 06:03:34 PM
Yes, you are right about using a valve that way, but being such a small building and being that the headers are in the attic, I decided to install valves at each location. There is nothing like going up in a attic in the summer months around here. That space can hit a easy 120F. :o

I get that!  My attic used to get real hot on just a normal sunny day.  I installed that silver Mylar "fabric" on the bottom of my rafters (insulation is between and on the ceiling joists).  It blocks a TON of heat.  I have a tile roof so no issue with the heat build up.  Might be an issue with comp roof, however.  One day when I was installing it, it was HOT.  As I held up the Mylar, it felt like I turned on the A/C it was such a dramatic change.
John Sawicky

Just North-East of Sacramento...

SkyTrak 9038, Ford 545D FEL, Davis Little Monster backhoe, Case 16+4 Trencher, Home Built 42" capacity/36" cut Bandmill up to 54' long - using it all to build a timber frame cabin.

fishfighter

After hooking up a water pump and having the system with 40 PSI all day, still can't find the DanG leak. >:( So I left it all hooked up over night. Maybe I will find it today.

Magicman

You may not have a "wet" leak or at least one that you will ever fine.
Knothole Sawmill, LLC     '98 Wood-Mizer LT40SuperHydraulic   WM Million BF Club Member   WM Pro Sawyer Network

It's Weird being the Same Age as Old People

Never allow your "need" to make money to exceed your "desire" to provide quality service.....The Magicman

Ljohnsaw

I'm thinking the leak is high up - all the air has not escaped yet.  Do you have a valve between the pump and the plumbing that you can close?  Maybe the water pressure is leaking back through the pump?
John Sawicky

Just North-East of Sacramento...

SkyTrak 9038, Ford 545D FEL, Davis Little Monster backhoe, Case 16+4 Trencher, Home Built 42" capacity/36" cut Bandmill up to 54' long - using it all to build a timber frame cabin.

fishfighter

I do have a valve and gauge. It's been holding 38psi all day. So maybe it fixed itself. :-\ Going to leave the pressure overnight and see what is what. The hot water side is fine. Got that charged up to 30 psi and been holding steady.

DanG rain has been coming down two days in the row. There is just no place for it to go. Another week long run for rain. :( At least the wife got a chance to mow the yard Saturday. ;D

fishfighter

Well, I guess the leak did fix itself. Still sitting with 38psi. Just maybe I hit the center with the tub faucet. >:( DanG faucet is one that center is off and one turns the knob to a temp one wants left or right.

Got some painting done this morning. Primed up the living/kitchen area. Took a bit over 3 gallons and about 4 hours. Should of just sprayed that sucker which would of took about 30 mins. :D Oh well, it's got a good coat.

Oh boy, more rain now. >:(

Briankinley2004

Pump it up to 100 psi or so and they will show up

fishfighter

Here, the water meters regulate the pressure down to 40psi. Reason I am testing at 38 psi. I am going to raise the pressure up to 50 today. Problem there, I'm going to try and adjust the water pump pressure up to that and I don't know if it can be done. As of yesterday afternoon, I still haven't lost any pressure or water. So I think I was just chasing my tail to start with due to the tub facet. :(

Going to start hanging sheetrock in the bathroom today. ;D

Briankinley2004

Use air for the 100 test. 40 is ok wet but make sure you bleed all the air off. I pump my copper up to 150 psi using air for water and nitrogen on HVAC work. My grandad was a plumber and I helped him growing up. I remember using a bicycle pump to add pressure to the lines in the days before air compressors.

fishfighter

I was able to adjust the pump up to 55 psi. Have let it sit like that all day and no leaks. ;D So I am calling it good. Like I said, it had to be the tub facet that was leaking.

Didn't hang any rock, but I did cut a hole in the floor and set up a dryer vent line. Almost forgot to do that. :o

Going to try and do a little work today, but the heat is getting to the point of unreal by 9am. :(

fishfighter

Got some sheetrock hung in the bathroom and installed a second AC window unit in the house. Just been way to hot to go pass 9am doing anything. :( The second ac is a 240V, so I had to wire in on the temp power supply a 30amp feed disconnect and made up a extension cord for it. Hey, the ac was free and I had the #6 wire and disconnect already along with everything I needed to do it. Why not? ;D

Pending weather next week, I am hoping to get back sawing up some lumber that I need and get back building my sawmill shack. Sometimes one just needs a break and do something else. ;D

fishfighter

With bad weather coming, I took some time today to plane out some oak boards for window casings. I put my $65 jointer to work. ;D Did a great job. Once I got one side to were I wanted, I then pasted the boards thru my planner. Then back on the jointer for edging.

Before cleaning up.

After

Those boards are 78" long. Did 12 of them and 6 that were 40".

On a side note. Some of my boards before cleaning them up had some stains like this one.

These boards were stacked and stickered to air dry about 8 months ago. Good thing, after they were clean, no stains. ;D

fishfighter

Put my joiner and planner back to work today. These boards will be used to build a barn door for the bathroom that will run on tracks.

Some 2x6 water oak and 1x6 water oak.

Cut things to size and did the job. Of course ambrosia beetles got into this wood too. But hey, I like it. ;D

All precut and planned out. Got to hot and had to call it a day. Hope to have this door done tomorrow.

Darrel

That's some purdy wood, going to make a very purdy door.
1992 LT40HD

If I don't pick myself up by my own bootstraps, nobody else will.

fishfighter

Got three more to do. A lot of work and heavy. This door, I planned down the 2x6's to a true 1 3/8 thick. The center boards were planned down to 1/2". Those will be nickel gapped like I built one for the front bedroom door.

fishfighter

That door is 98% finished. Just need to trim it out. I got to invest in a couple more pipe clamps. :( Just taken way to much time waiting for glue to set. >:(

Darrel

I like it and showed it to my wife. She says Nice!
1992 LT40HD

fishfighter

Hey, thanks. It's a lot of work, but I love the way it came out. One thing, these doors are very heavy. Easy 125 lbs. :o Being that this one will be running on a track system, I will be hand forging the hardware and tracking for it. Got a bunch of left over firewood that I need to burn off. That will knock out two birds with one stone. ;D

grouch

So you have the panel boards floating in a 1/2 inch plus a "nickel gap" groove?
Find something to do that interests you.

fishfighter

Yes, but I did set them with a nickel, glued and then nailed them in place with 18ga air gun nails. You can't see nails.

To get the grove, I used a dado blade on a tablesaw set at 1/2" with a depth of half. Also the framing boards, I used the dado blade to cut the slot that the center boards set into.

Another thing or two. When I did the finishing on the center boards, I had cut the lengths from the same board of one at 26", then a 40". After that, on the end cut, I numbered them in pairs. That way I kept the boards with the same wood grain to match top and bottom.

Also what I did was set the wood grain "cup" swapped to were one is on one side, the next board was on the other side. This helps keeping the boards locked in and straight. 

Today, the wife and I hung the last of the sheetrock in the bathroom. Wasn't easy doing the ceiling. The wife is 5' nothing. :D Tomorrow I will try to start floating it out.

Bruno of NH

Lt 40 wide with 38hp gas and command controls , F350 4x4 dump and lot of contracting tools

GRANITEstateMP

Really like the door fishfighter!  Heck, I like the whole project (not the heat, don't like that at ALL!)
Hakki Pilke 1x37
Kubota M6040
Load Trail 12ft Dump Trailer
2015 GMC 3500HD SRW
2016 Polaris 450HO
2016 Polaris 570
SureTrac 12ft Dump Trailer

fishfighter

Thanks guys. Was planning on some work today, but it turn out to one of those days I have to just chill and rest. Past a bad night. :( Besides that, it's raining cats and dogs. Just when things were drying out. >:(

fishfighter

Kind of been under the weather the pass week+, but started feeling a bit better yesterday. So, I took it easy and started building wheel sets for the bathroom door. I priced a complete set with tracks. No way this old boy would pay $149 + taxes. :o

Well, this is how I made a wheel set using 1/4"x2 1/2" steel plate.

The wheels came from casters that is rated to 200lbs.That cost was $3 each. Bought some nylon bushing for spacers. That was $1.00. Bought a 1/4"x36" steel rod. Cost $3.00. The steel cost me $2.00.

Total cost, about $10 for a pair. ;D

Today, I built the track. Made out of 3/16"x 2" angle and a piece of 1/16"x1" flat bar. Total cost for the steel was $15.

Track is 72" long.

Wheels on the track.

Done sanded everything and threw on the first coat of paint.

Now, as to why I used the 2"x2" angle. That will off set the door away from the wall and give enough space for my trim.

Best part about this, built the complete tracking system for $25. A lot stronger then what is sold for $150. ;D

Darrel

Saved $125 and had some fun too!  Couldn't beat that with a stick!
1992 LT40HD

Thank You Sponsors!