iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

What size saw would be good for this use?

Started by Brad_bb, April 07, 2015, 06:20:44 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Brad_bb

I need a saw to crosscut green hardwood logs from 6" dia to let's say 25 inch diameter.  I've had a 16" Poulan that I've used around the farm for years for cutting small trees and Mulberries that have sprung up.  I also recently acquired a Stihl 090 for chainsaw milling.   Kind of two opposite ends of the spectrum.  One is small and one is very large.  I also have a 36 inch bar for the 090 saw if I ever need it.  But I need a saw for cross cutting material in between.  I plan on collecting crooked wood for use in timbering and those pieces will span the range I mentioned, with most being under 20" dia. 

So I figured I go for a Stihl, but which one?  There are a few options on them that I'm not familiar with and whether they'd be good to have or not? Any help?
Anything someone can design, I can sure figure out how to fix!
If I say it\\\\\\\'s going to take so long, multiply that by at least 3!

NWP

A 362 Stihl is a good all around saw. I run an 18" bar on mine. Plenty of power and not too heavy. I think new ones are around $650-700. It's a pro grade saw. I've also got a 261 which I believe is the smallest pro grade available. It's a good saw but I find myself using the 362 most of the time because it's got more power.
1999 Blockbuster 2222, 1997 Duratech HD10, 2021 Kubota SVL97-2, 2011 Case SV250, 2000 Case 1845C, 2004 Case 621D, John Deere 540A, 2011 Freightliner with Prentice 120C, 2012 Chevrolet, 1997 GMC bucket truck, several trailers, and Stihl saws.

ladylake

Timberking B20  18000  hours +  Case75xt grapple + forks+8" snow bucket + dirt bucket   770 Oliver   Lots(too many) of chainsaws, Like the Echo saws and the Stihl and Husky     W5  Case loader   1  trailers  Wright sharpener     Suffolk  setter Volvo MCT125c skid loader

sawguy21

MS362 would be a great choice but bang for the buck, value for the dollar spent that Echo would be hard to beat as long as you have a good dealer locally. Forget Home Depot.
old age and treachery will always overcome youth and enthusiasm

BubbasDad

Why wouldn't you buy a 590 timberwolf i believe its still $399. And think its a little bigger saw? Not bustin bal/s, just curious as i am looking at buying the 590.
John

red

The Cheap saw that we have had lots of FUN with is the
Poulan Pro
5020AV
sometimes you can find reman very cheap and we buy TWO
Honor the Fallen Thank the Living

buzywoodliff

Not sure if you're set on stihl, but I have a husqvarna 450 with an 18" that I'm very happy with.  Light, dependable, powerful enough for hardwoods, and good on gas.

Let us know what you decide on, I'm kinda shopping for a bigger one for the occasional 36" tree that's gotta come down.

Brad_bb

Stihl has these suffix on many of their saws
": C = Comfort feature, E = Easy2Start™, Q = an additional chain braking system, R = wrap handle, and M = STIHL M-Tronic™. "

But I am surprised that they don't go into detail as to what they actually are.  What comfort feature?  Why is it easy 2 start?  Chain brake is pretty self explanatory.  What is Stihl M-Tronic?

On the prosaws page they list what I quoted above, but don't explain what they are anywhere I can find -dumb!
Anything someone can design, I can sure figure out how to fix!
If I say it\\\\\\\'s going to take so long, multiply that by at least 3!

4x4American

The Stihl catalog goes into more detail about these features.  B is a quick tool-less chain adjuster that makes the saw look silly.  M means its a computer controlled carb.  R means its a 3/4 wrap handle (best for a saw that you're dropping trees with).  Q is the quick stop.  there is two chain brakes on it, the regular handle, and one on the back handle.  When your hand is on the rear handle, you hold down a lever that allows the chain to spin.  As soon as you release your grip, the chain brake engages.  I got a 360 with the quick stop that was broken given to me, and I gave it to a friend, and he said that he didn't think he'd like it at first, but now he loves it.  The easy to start I'm not sure how it works, but they say that you don't have to pull the cord hard to get it to start.  I would guess that there's some sort of torque multiplying device in there that achieves this.  The comfort feature, from what I gather, indicates that you have one of the B, E, M, or Q features on the saw. 
Boy, back in my day..

4x4American

I highly recommend a Stihl 362, or if you can find a used one, a 361.  They are most comfortable wearing a 20" bar.  If you want to run a bigger bar, I'd recommend going up to a 70cc class saw.  In which case, Stihl 460 or 461 are both great saws.  The new 461's are available only as M-Tronic though.  I recommend buying a Stihl pro grade saw, because they are saws that you can pass down to your kids.  Where will that Echo be in 20 years from now?  Proberly long gone.  Where will that Stihl be 20 years from now?  Proberly right next to your sawmill, ready to go.  Most of my Stihl powersaws will fire up in 1-3 pulls from cold.  I do take good care of them.  I also make sure that the air filter is cleaned, I keep a properly sharpened chain on them, and whenever I have the bar and chain off I clean out all of that gunk that build up with compressed air.  I have had excellent luck with any Stihl product I have used/owned and would recommend them to anyone. 
Boy, back in my day..

Ianab

QuoteThe easy to start I'm not sure how it works, but they say that you don't have to pull the cord hard to get it to start.  I would guess that there's some sort of torque multiplying device in there that achieves this.

It's like a wind up spring. You pull the cord a couple of times to wind a spring up. Once it's got enough pressure it releases and kicks the motor over. Probably excellent for an older guy with a dodgy shoulder, or a petite lady. But otherwise it's one more things that can go wrong. 
Weekend warrior, Peterson JP test pilot, Dolmar 7900 and Stihl MS310 saws and  the usual collection of power tools :)

4x4American

Boy, back in my day..

ladylake

Quote from: 4x4American on April 08, 2015, 07:27:05 PM
I highly recommend a Stihl 362, or if you can find a used one, a 361.  They are most comfortable wearing a 20" bar.  If you want to run a bigger bar, I'd recommend going up to a 70cc class saw.  In which case, Stihl 460 or 461 are both great saws.  The new 461's are available only as M-Tronic though.  I recommend buying a Stihl pro grade saw, because they are saws that you can pass down to your kids.  Where will that Echo be in 20 years from now?  Proberly long gone.  Where will that Stihl be 20 years from now?  Proberly right next to your sawmill, ready to go.  Most of my Stihl powersaws will fire up in 1-3 pulls from cold.  I do take good care of them.  I also make sure that the air filter is cleaned, I keep a properly sharpened chain on them, and whenever I have the bar and chain off I clean out all of that gunk that build up with compressed air.  I have had excellent luck with any Stihl product I have used/owned and would recommend them to anyone.

Where will Stihl be putting out low quality home owner saws, Echo has been gaining market share fast.   Really hard to believe a tank like the MS290 is Stihls number 1 selling saw.  Steve
Timberking B20  18000  hours +  Case75xt grapple + forks+8" snow bucket + dirt bucket   770 Oliver   Lots(too many) of chainsaws, Like the Echo saws and the Stihl and Husky     W5  Case loader   1  trailers  Wright sharpener     Suffolk  setter Volvo MCT125c skid loader

JohnG28

The 461 is not M tronic. The 261, 362, 441 and 661 are.  The 261 and 362 originally had non CM models but I believe they're dead now. From the sounds of it the Echos sound intriguing, I'll say that. I haven't run any so can't say from experience, but they're getting a lot of good reviews. I do like my Stihls though.  ;)
Stihl MS361, 460 & 200T, Jonsered 490, Jonsereds 90, Husky 350 & 142, Homelite XL and Super XL

4x4American

I was under the impression that the 461 line went to M-tronics.

Boy, back in my day..

JohnG28

Not yet, at least far as I know. I'd imagine it would be a big deal when it does and I'm surprised it hasn't. Sure it's inevitable though, as the rest of the pro line has gone thst way. Maybe that's why the 461 hasn't? Keep those not sold on electronic carbs??  ??? Got me.
Stihl MS361, 460 & 200T, Jonsered 490, Jonsereds 90, Husky 350 & 142, Homelite XL and Super XL

4x4American

Yea who knows.  I swore I saw a 461 that had the new cross design over the flywheel cover and it was m tronic.  Stihl is really slow to update their website, as I've learned in the past.
Boy, back in my day..

BubbasDad

Quote from: 4x4American on April 08, 2015, 07:27:05 PM

Any and every saw will operate the way they are made if they are takin good care of!! Echo is a great saw always has been. I have one, also have older chraftsman, a husky and 2 sthils (026&031av)all 5 saws cut the same as the day they were purchased new, my old chraftsman will out cut all of them and only because its a bigger saw. I would buy another stihl, i would also buy husky and next saw is gonna be echo 590. And i have operated a saw for 20+ years and worked in a husky shop
John

Straightgrain

Quote from: Brad_bb on April 08, 2015, 06:47:03 PM
Stihl has these suffix on many of their saws
": C = Comfort feature, E = Easy2Start™, Q = an additional chain braking system, R = wrap handle, and M = STIHL M-Tronic™. "

But I am surprised that they don't go into detail as to what they actually are.  What comfort feature?  Why is it easy 2 start?  Chain brake is pretty self explanatory.  What is Stihl M-Tronic?

On the prosaws page they list what I quoted above, but don't explain what they are anywhere I can find -dumb!

All the professional saws seem to be neck in neck; you would need a spreadsheet to iron-out all the features (+ or -).

The 362R with a 20" & 28" (double skip chain) has served me very well.

You will find the information under the "features" tab on the web-site. For example, the "C" describes the anti-vibration spring on the "R", the easy start is the compression release (sweet) on the top of the cylinder, and a shock absorber in the handle of the pull cord.

Here's a page I have in my favorites tab; a 461R (32" skip/skip) I'm buying real soon. http://www.stihlusa.com/products/chain-saws/professional-saws/ms461/
"We fight for and against not men and things as they are, but for and against the caricatures we make of them". Joseph Schumpeter

JohnG28

If the saw says 362C it just means that it has an additional feature, such as M tronic. Easy start is a spring assisted starter, not the decomp. Elastostart is a shock absorber in the start handle. R is for wrap handle and W is the Arctic model. I can't remember what the tool less chain adjuster letter is off top of my head.

CTYank

For the best values in the field of candidates, besides one of the 59 cc Echos (Shindaiwa design), I'd also suggest Dolmar's PS-6100. That Dolmar is one powerful smoothie, and is quite happy with a 24" b&c; one can be had for ~$550, leaving you enough $ to get a PP5020 for a backup, compared to 60 cc Stihl. With a 30 oz tank, it will cut for a long session, so you might want an alarm to schedule breaks.

Then, too, there's the 562 Husqy, notably more poo than the Stihl 36X. Waiblingen resting on laurels? Nah.

Making Stihl your first/only choice kinda boxes one in.
'72 blue Homelite 150
Echo 315, SRM-200DA
Poulan 2400, PP5020, PP4218
RedMax GZ4000, "Mac" 35 cc, Dolmar PS-6100
Husqy 576XP-AT
Tanaka 260 PF Polesaw, TBC-270PFD, ECS-3351B
Mix of mauls
Morso 7110

Thank You Sponsors!