iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Saw feed speed

Started by shampjm1, April 07, 2015, 11:58:05 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

shampjm1

OK so now that I've sawed a bit I'm curious as to how you tell how fast you can feed the saw. The engine doesn't really change but I've noticed lines in the wood if I go to fast. Is there a tried and true method as to knowing how fast you can cut or is it just an experience thing. I was cutting some really nice 1" X 12" red pine boards and that's when I noticed the little bump lines. Or am I just doing something wrong!
Jim, millwright, industrial maintenance mechanic. Just got LT40HD. Part time sawyer for now.

ncsawyer

I have a 35hp diesel on mine and I can hear the engine start to drag down slightly if I'm in wide cuts with hard wood.  Most of the time, your blade is the limiting factor on feed rate and not the engine.  Some pictures would be helpful for diagnosing your issue.   I know that sometimes I will get a little washboard effect with too slow a feed rate with my 7 degree blades.
2015 Wood-Mizer LT40DD35
Woodmaster 718 planer
Ford 445 Skip Loader

ladylake

Keep in mind you are cutting rough cut lumber and small lines are normal.  Steve
Timberking B20  18000  hours +  Case75xt grapple + forks+8" snow bucket + dirt bucket   770 Oliver   Lots(too many) of chainsaws, Like the Echo saws and the Stihl and Husky     W5  Case loader   1  trailers  Wright sharpener     Suffolk  setter Volvo MCT125c skid loader

POSTON WIDEHEAD

Quote from: ladylake on April 07, 2015, 07:53:42 PM
Keep in mind you are cutting rough cut lumber and small lines are normal.  Steve

smiley_thumbsup
The older I get I wish my body could Re-Gen.

Solomon

The harder the wood and the wider the board, the slower you feed the cut.   That's the princaple of it.  Works for me.
Time and Money,  If you have the one, you rarely have the other.

The Path to Salvation is narrow, and the path to damnnation is wide.

Chuck White

With a mill like mine, I wouldn't saw any faster than I would want to walk.  ;D
~Chuck~  Cooks Cat Claw sharpener and single tooth setter.  2018 Chevy Silverado and 2021 Subaru Ascent.
With basic mechanical skills and the ability to read you can maintain a Woodmizer  LT40!

Thank You Sponsors!