iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

lt40 not cutting parallel to deck

Started by woodjunky, April 06, 2015, 11:14:19 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

woodjunky

the guy i bought it from obviously torqued something, because the hydraulic log stops were bent. Then he started adjusting stuff... not good. I first noticed the log deck adjustments had all been moved a good 3/8" down... Thats not an adjustment, thats chasing... The first 6x6 I cut, I seen it clearly. The blade and the deck were 1/16" off in 5.5"!!!!!!! extrapulated out over thats 3/8" over the 36" of the deck.  EASY FIX RIGHT???  WRONG!!!

Its the opposite way...

That means to me that the saw head itself is way way out of adjustment. Or the bearing on the saw head? I didnt hear anything, or feel any jerking... My first thought was im going to need a level and a stringline. Its cold. Im *pithed. So i went home before i double checked my measurments.

Any adjusters on the saw head and carriage? How can you tell if a bearing on the saw head is bad without taking things apart. Im optimistic this can be an easyish fix. But any insights would be much appreciated.

terrifictimbersllc

The place to start is the alignment procedure in the sawmill manual.  And a discussion with WM tech service about checking cam bearings. 

There is no use of a string or level in an alignment.

The tilt of the head is adjusted by turning the position of 4 pairs of lock nuts.  That's done at the end of the complete alignment.
DJ Hoover, Terrific Timbers LLC,  Mystic CT Woodmizer Million Board Foot Club member. 2019 LT70 Super Wide 55 Yanmar,  LogRite fetching arch, WM BMS250 sharpener/BMT250 setter.  2001 F350 7.3L PSD 6 spd manual ZF 4x4 Crew Cab Long Bed

jdtuttle

When I got my 1992 lt40 first thing I did was take it to woodmizer for a complete go through. They let me work with them replacing parts & aligning the mill. It was expensive but well worth the investment. If you don't have a dealer close they have a maintenance truck that will come when ther close to your area. I would give them a call.
Good luck with your new mill.
Have a great day

WH_Conley

Easy check on the bearings is to use a pry bar between the main beam and the framing around where the bearings ride. Just take a little weight off and you will be able to spin the top bearing.  Bottom bearings can be checked by putting a board under the outboard side of the sawhead and letting the sawhead down on it. You just need to take a little slack out. Do not drop the head down til it starts binding. Just a couple of inches after it touches the board. That will you to spin the inside bearing on the bottom. The bottom does not normally touch just a safety that the sawhead can't come off. That will allow you to check the 4 weight bearings that really carry most of the weight. As said before, go through the manual. Read every step twice before you start. Follow the exact procedure. If you have to adjust the deck a string will give you peace of mind when you that they are right. Just stretch it from front to back to make sure they are all in alignment with each other. As stated before, the last thing to adjust is the sawhead tilt. Once done according to the manual that may need tweaked a touch later on.
Bill

MartyParsons

Hello,
Like everyone else above.
Open the book. Follow the steps, in order. If you don't understand the steps call. If the all the beds have been adjusted you need to start with the measurement from the frame. I always measure all the bed rails and document with a sharpe or marker. Then stand back and look. You may not need to adjust all of them. All adjustments are made from the blade to the bed rails. The bottom or top of the blade it does not matter. No strings, no levels not needed.

Marty
"A pessimist sees difficulty in every opportunity; an optimist sees opportunity in every difficulty." -Winston Churchill

woodjunky

Open the book??? I never thought of that? lol But yea, the woodmizer guys are 2.5 hrs south of here. Holding that option in reserve.

I have concerns about the overall frame? How often do they twist or bend? Dont get me wrong, I dont see any structural damage. I dont see anything like that, its built like a tank! But say someone drops the legs down on unstable ground, so the legs arent all holding weight evenly? Will that frame torque much, if at all?

I guess what Im asking... Im going to chase this until its dead skinny , the entire 22' track.(28' when i get the extension back on that he cut off with a torch :o ) Is that being unrealistic? Is even a new saw so fine tuned to be splitting lines all the way through a 20' beam? 

MartyParsons

Hello,
I was sawing timbers for the LT10 bed on Saturday. One cut on the face then flipped 180. The cant was off the bed at each end. Opened the other face, cant was laying on the bed. Turned 90 degrees cut that face,  flipped 180 cant was off the bed at each end. Opened the other face. And kept sawing. 
My point is the alignment was on, just the cant was very stressed.
Once I was done the cant was within 1/16" but I had to work to get a 3 1/2" x 5" x 15.5' on a small diameter log.
Just want to make sure you know what you may be battling.
If the original owner sawed off the bed x then you could be dealing with many issues.
Steve from WI is a great source of info.
Marty
"A pessimist sees difficulty in every opportunity; an optimist sees opportunity in every difficulty." -Winston Churchill

barbender

It sounds like the original owner of my mill went on to violate another one >:( :)
Too many irons in the fire

Brucer

If you haven't got a manual, get one from WM. Then follow the complete alignment procedure. Do it systematically, in the proper order. Don't skip any steps.

I really try hard to schedule mine for a mild, dry day. It's too easy to take shortcuts if you're freezing or soaking wet.
Bruce    LT40HDG28 bandsaw
"Complex problems have simple, easy to understand wrong answers."

woodjunky

I have the directions........ ugh  :P
I went out to diagnose and start fixing it. Got a call from a guy wanting to look at the Hudson 21. So I B.S.d with him and then helped my dad get the crane running and moved and get the roller tables off the trailer.  (we couldnt budge them by hand!) By the time we got done, it was time to go back home to bring dogs to the vet... Now I have to wonder about it for 12 days while on vacation:) I will figure out a way to cope. lol

Thank You Sponsors!