iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

New splitter...

Started by upnut, April 06, 2015, 06:57:51 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

upnut

After nursing/tinkering my old splitter along for 25 years I finally broke down and bought a brand new splitter at TSC. It's a 22 ton model with 6.5hp Kohler engine, plus I bought the 4-way wedge attachment. Split with it this afternoon, pretty happy with it and really like the 4-way wedge. I'm going to add some protection for the engine and oil filter and look up an additional wood shelf.......

Any other suggestions are welcome!

Scott B.
I did not fall, there was a GRAVITY SURGE!

r.man

That's a nice looking splitter but I agree, they never come with enough flat area to keep splits from hitting the ground. Other than more table it looks good. Does the four way just drop on and off?
Life is too short or my list is too long, not sure which. Dec 2014

thecfarm

You will get more done now. No more tinkering,just splitting. Looks good.
Model 6020-20hp Manual Thomas bandsaw,TC40A 4wd 40 hp New Holland tractor, 450 Norse Winch, Heatmor 400 OWB,YCC 1978-79

sawmilllawyer

Looks like your splitter can be used either horizontal or vertical. In the woods or field I use my vertical so I do not have to pick up the big rounds. Nice rig. Hope it last you another 25 years.
Stihl MS-361, MS-460 mag, Poulan 2150, 2375 Wildthing.

upnut

Quote from: r.man on April 06, 2015, 07:41:44 PM
That's a nice looking splitter but I agree, they never come with enough flat area to keep splits from hitting the ground. Other than more table it looks good. Does the four way just drop on and off?
Yes, the four-way simply drops on the regular wedge, they suggest only using it when the splitter is horizontal. Split some stringy red elm today, seemed to work ok.

Yes cfarm, the operator is the weak link now...

sawmillawyer- my old one is horizontal only, looking forward to another option for heavy stuff!

DeerMeadowFarm

Congrats on your new splitter! I think Speeco makes them and the one I bought which is an Oregon.  ::)

I've had a bunch of trouble with mine and I have a thread on here somewhere with the issues I had. Some of it has been operator error but a lot has been due to a poor design in some respects.

I wish you better luck than I've had.

upnut

Quote from: DeerMeadowFarm on April 07, 2015, 04:00:54 PM
Congrats on your new splitter! I think Speeco makes them and the one I bought which is an Oregon.  ::)

I've had a bunch of trouble with mine and I have a thread on here somewhere with the issues I had. Some of it has been operator error but a lot has been due to a poor design in some respects.

I wish you better luck than I've had.
Thanks! After reading your reviews/troubles I'll be more vigilant when running my machine!

Scott B.

hacknchop

I bought new splitter 25 ton called Forrest King at TSC here in Sault Canada 6.5 kohler been happy with it so far,I put a cover over the motor and plan to do the same over the filter,  keeps breaking motor mount bolts on the thrust side but other than that pretty handy compared to my old homemade one.
Often wrong never indoubt

Straightgrain

Nice set up!

If there are existing holes for fender mounts; you could fabricate something that would rise up (above the tires) and support narrow platforms (@ 12" long) that can help with managing the logs on the way up to the I beam.

I had plastic fenders that were bolted to end-plates that formed the sides of the oil tank; I removed the fenders and put wooden platforms in their place about 9 years ago; instrumental in climbing or setting the next log, setting a partial log, or simply resting a foot on.

One of the brackets finally broke this week; setting wood on the tires now.

The height of the unit looks great; just under counter-top height?
"We fight for and against not men and things as they are, but for and against the caricatures we make of them". Joseph Schumpeter

upnut

Quote from: Straightgrain on April 08, 2015, 09:50:43 AM
Nice set up!

If there are existing holes for fender mounts; you could fabricate something that would rise up (above the tires) and support narrow platforms (@ 12" long) that can help with managing the logs on the way up to the I beam.

I had plastic fenders that were bolted to end-plates that formed the sides of the oil tank; I removed the fenders and put wooden platforms in their place about 9 years ago; instrumental in climbing or setting the next log, setting a partial log, or simply resting a foot on.

One of the brackets finally broke this week; setting wood on the tires now.

The height of the unit looks great; just under counter-top height?

Yes, there are holes for fender mounts that would work for brackets, hadn't thought of a platform- thanks! I did pick up a factory made wood cradle which is installed and ready to go. I've also already tussled with the front support leg, may put a lightweight swing away trailer jack in it's place. And yes, it is a good working height for the beam!

Scott B.

upnut

Quote from: hacknchop on April 07, 2015, 11:13:36 PM
I bought new splitter 25 ton called Forrest King at TSC here in Sault Canada 6.5 kohler been happy with it so far,I put a cover over the motor and plan to do the same over the filter,  keeps breaking motor mount bolts on the thrust side but other than that pretty handy compared to my old homemade one.
Thanks, I'll keep an eye on the motor mounts for awhile.....do you think it is torque or vibration breaking them?

Scott B.

upnut

This is not the biggest splitter out there, but it will suit my needs. I have access to quite a bit of dead ash and red elm already down, just whack, split and stack....

I don't like wrasslin' big chunks, does that make me a wood snob?

Scott B.

thecfarm

If you can keep away from those big ones,lucky you. I had alot of cut offs from a white pine logging. Some was a bother to deal with,but they are gone. I have a BIG white pine that is dead,that I have been meaning to cut down. I will wonder at times if it is worth it.
Looks like a very nice low impact logging operation you have there. That is real good. I try to make it look like I have never been there.
Model 6020-20hp Manual Thomas bandsaw,TC40A 4wd 40 hp New Holland tractor, 450 Norse Winch, Heatmor 400 OWB,YCC 1978-79

M_S_S

I have a Speeco that I have been running for 3 years now. Probably have split 150 to 200 cord on it. Haven't had any problems yet. Mine has the Honda engine. Use it horizontal usually, except vertical to quarter big rounds. It is not the fastest splitter but it is the fastest for the money lol. Ed
2- 562xp 24"bar
         576xp 28"bar
         385xp 28" and 32" bars
         25 ton Speeco
         6600 Ford
         02 Dodge diesel
         73 Ford 250

upnut

I added a couple heavy duty "nerf bars" to help keep chunks away from the hydraulic filter and engine, should help...

These chunks of stringy red elm tested the splitter a bit, took the four-way wedge off for these...

So far so good, Scott B.

peterc38

Congrats on the new splitter, looks good  smiley_thumbsup
Kubota L4060 Cab
562XP
371XP
346XP
Fiskars "Super Splitter"
Logrite 60" Peavey
Huskee 22 ton splitter
2 Great Danes

Thank You Sponsors!