iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Found a little S7

Started by sandersen, April 06, 2015, 03:42:14 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

sandersen

I was on the road yesterday and spied an old S7 sitting behind a building and decided to take a few photos of the old girl.  Looks to be in darn good shape.  I've never run one but maybe some of you old saw-dusters have and can comment pros and cons.  I like its lines, even though I'm a dyed in the wool TJ guy.  Besides I needed practice posting photos.

"Make every step count."

47sawdust

I like the turf tires on rear.First time I ever saw that.
Mick
1997 WM Lt30 1999 WM twin blade edger Kubota L3750 Tajfun winchGood Health Work is my hobby.

Maine logger88

My grandfather had one for 15 or 20 years. Dad said it was a reasonably comfortable machine to run. it had a #19 winch and a 353. The bad is I guess it was hard on planatarys and it was very tippy
79 TJ 225 81 JD 540B Husky and Jonsered saws

lumberjack48

Very nice S7,  big rear ends, 3-53 Detroit, stick shift, i wounder what winch they have stuffed in the hole. This S7 IH will pull about the same as a C5-D Treefarmer.
Some had the 8 bolt rear ends, and with the 3-53 if not used right will tear up the planetary's.
Then they had 18.4 / 34's on them, this made the machine way to tippy, you want 18.4/26 tires on it
Third generation logger, owner operator, 30 yrs felling experience with pole skidder. I got my neck broke back in 89, left me a quad. The wife kept the job going up to 96.

sandersen

It does have a 353 DD and the winch said CAN...something, but couldn't read it real well.  Being a TJ low center of gravity kinda guy, everything else always looks tippy to me too.  But I appreciate it's condition...not all bashed up.  Maybe mid to late 60's I guess.  I sure would hate to have 18.4 x 34's on it though.  Yikes.
"Make every step count."

bushmechanic

The whole back end don't look right to me. Looks like a John Deere arch on it and I never saw a winch down in the frame like that on an S7. Only thing is right is the Hough axle in the rear. The ones we had were very tippy when there was no load behind it to keep it down, go down hill and the rear tires would come off the ground and the blade would stick in the ground. Oh the fond memories! I bought an S7  last year to get the tires off of it, well pretty much to save it from the scrapyard. It has the 353 and the Rockwell transfer case both of which I can use in my "jack".

coxy

bushmechanic your right that arch does not look the same as the one my buddy had but maybe cause it don't have fenders   still a good find   you going to buy it  ;D

tantoy

I like it. Thanks for the pictures
1968 Garrett 20 Skidder
1991 Ford 1920 Tractor/Loader
2000 Takeuchi tb135 Excavator
Stihl 020, 041 Super, 084
Husqvarna 61, 181SE, 357XP

sawyerf250

Man I would sure like to have that little sucker... Be perfect size for my small operation right now and you can get parts at the car shop. It would have to grow a real set of rear tires in order to work up here in the snow but is in REALLY good shape!
Massey Ferguson 375 w/838 loader, Wallenstien Fx 90 winch, 3 Husqvarna chainsaws

lumberjack48

I would put 16.9x30's or 18.4x26's on it, then put a little fluid in them. That old Hough would pull like a team of mules and climb like a mountain goat 8). With out the fluid you really have to work with it to get something done. 
Third generation logger, owner operator, 30 yrs felling experience with pole skidder. I got my neck broke back in 89, left me a quad. The wife kept the job going up to 96.

logman81

Looks like it wood be the perfect little skidder for doing small jobs.
Precision Firewood & Logging

tantoy

Quote from: sawyerf250 on April 07, 2015, 10:57:51 AM
Man I would sure like to have that little sucker... Be perfect size for my small operation right now and you can get parts at the car shop. It would have to grow a real set of rear tires in order to work up here in the snow but is in REALLY good shape!
Yep, x 2
1968 Garrett 20 Skidder

lumberjack48

That S-7 would put 15 to 30 cds. a day on the landing yr. round with the right operator and tree faller.

Skiddersally

I've got an s 7. I might consider selling. Very good shape no leaks very good rubber. It was my first skidder 353 you can hear for miles all around. I can say one thing your in a dog fight from the time you start her in the morning till evening. Good old tractors.

346xp

They are a good skidder but will NOT PULL what a c5d with a cc20   will 8)

mad murdock

I would compare an S7 more to a C4. A C5 is quite a bit bigger IMO.
Turbosawmill M6 (now M8) Warrior Ultra liteweight, Granberg Alaskan III, lots of saws-gas powered and human powered :D

logman81

I had a c5d thing pulled pretty good for a mid size skidder

sandersen

I bet it'd be a good little skidder though for a small woodlot...a few loads of firewood every year, a load or two of logs once and a while, and general woodlot improvement for the casual logger/small landowner.  Maybe fab-up a snowplow  even.  It's worth preserving the old cable girls no matter the brand!   
"Make every step count."

tantoy

Quote from: sandersen on April 16, 2015, 08:50:56 PM
I bet it'd be a good little skidder though for a small woodlot...a few loads of firewood every year, a load or two of logs once and a while, and general woodlot improvement for the casual logger/small landowner.  Maybe fab-up a snowplow  even.  It's worth preserving the old cable girls no matter the brand!   
Well spoken
1968 Garrett 20 Skidder

logman81

teakwood

Quote from: sandersen on April 16, 2015, 08:50:56 PM

good one  smiley_clapping
National Stihl Timbersports Champion Costa Rica 2018

wiaachamp00

I just bought myself a nice s7c a month ago. Trouble is the transfer case is bad and I can't seem locate one. Anyone know where one might be sitting around being parted out?

bushmechanic

I couldn't buy some of the gears in mine, no longer made. That's a Rockwell T-32 transfer case in that one I think. Also used in Timberjack 201, Tree Farmer C4 and some old army trucks.   

tantoy

Quote from: wiaachamp00 on April 23, 2015, 12:26:38 AM
I just bought myself a nice s7c a month ago. Trouble is the transfer case is bad and I can't seem locate one. Anyone know where one might be sitting around being parted out?
Welcome to the forum! Pictures can be  very helpful  if you can!
1968 Garrett 20 Skidder

lumberjack48

Quote from: 346xp on April 16, 2015, 03:06:13 PM
They are a good skidder but will NOT PULL what a c5d with a cc20   will 8)
Quote from: mad murdock on April 16, 2015, 03:48:22 PM
I would compare an S7 more to a C4. A C5 is quite a bit bigger IMO.
The S7 in the picture has the same pulling power as a C5-D. It needs 18-4x26's and bear paws on the front. The newer C5-D looks a lot bigger because of the different canopy style. The C5-D probably weights about one ton more. My father had a 66 C5, the canopy looked just like the S7 in the picture. It is a lot more skidder then the C4, bigger motor, bigger rear-ends and bigger planetary's, bigger winch. I owned C4's and C5's, IH S8 and a S8-A Turbo.
I really don't understand, guys say that the S7 is more less a play around skidder. What size skidders do you guys run, C6, C7's. 640's or bigger. I know in good timber with the wife running that S7, we could have put 30 cds a day on the landing. The only difference compared to the S8 is the frame style and canopy and the S8 has a power shift.

Thank You Sponsors!